Forums

Help › Forums

Vielen Dank!

Tue, Aug 15 2017 9:56 PM (4 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,525 Posts
    Tue, Aug 15 2017 9:51 AM

Tonight with my son and wife, I went to see a movie titled "A Taxi Driver" about May 18 Democratic Uprising in 1980.

Thanks to a German reporter's courage and sense of duty, the whole world was able to witness a dictator's brutal massacre of his own people and the democracy has been made possible in this land now.

RIP Mr. Jürgen Hinzpeter. We owe you a lot.

• gonfission
    2,234 Posts
    Tue, Aug 15 2017 1:45 PM

Simon,

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

I have a good inclination you know who penned that quote.

Very nice of you to share, and carry the torch, of one man making a difference in your country. The world today needs more reminders, of acts of defiance, in the face of totalitarianism. I remember "Tank Man", vividly, in Tiananmen Square in 1989. One man who had, had enough... To stand in front of a column of tanks the day after untold mutilations, is about as much defiance as a human is willing to give. 

We in America today as I write this to you are having our history torn down around us. Sound reminiscent of anything to you?

“Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”

The entire southern half of our country is losing their heritage. Whether one sees it as good, bad, or indifferent, it is being removed, as other worldly despots statues were removed after their tyranny ended. The only difference here is, we had a supposed democracy, before these idealists started in on their very own heritage rampage.

They can not see themselves as the oppressors, of the majority, that is, & has been accepting, of our countries grievances with each other. Okay, I get it. It happened, let's try not to let it happen again.

"Those that do not learn from history are destined to repeat it". In a sense, does this not make them totalitarian tyrants in the making?? I say yes.

A very small minority of people, (not minorities as racial) are calling for the removal of all things reminiscent of America's Civil War. Only on the southern side. They say it is racist. I call it culture, and conflict, that made this a nation once indivisible. Not anymore...

Our history books are being re-written to no longer include the Vietnam "Conflict". Conflict my ass.

Slaves are being written out as well.  The slave trade is referred to as the "Atlantic Triangular Trade" in an attempt to expunge slavery from our history by focusing on transportation of goods (which happened to include slaves) between countries (i.e., not on the American shores) from the late 16th to early 19th century, and downplay the treatment by white Americans, of those people whom they subsequently purchased.

They want to see a utopian society of no disagreements in history, to make themselves, and me too, I suppose, feel better about ourselves. I feel just fine having taken my place in real conflicts, for the oppressed.

I will not have anything to do with these despots though. They won't be finished until the revolutionary war is white washed, into a disagreement between two nations. Not realizing one, (us) wasn't yet a nation. That's a fact. No need for those.

Once the revolutionary "disagreement" is washed, we will no longer have a constitution, as we will no longer be a nation.

Can't explain that to them though.

Ah, screw it! I'm moving to China anyway with my wife. I prefer to be on the winning side.

Thanks for the education Simon. Gonna try to find the movie & watch it.

“Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power”

“The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power.”

One last quote from ole George Orwell

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”

As long as there are boots...

☢---------<*{{{{{-(

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Aug 15 2017 7:01 PM

+1 Joe.  Very well said.

Jeff

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Aug 15 2017 7:33 PM

Look take my hat off to any nation doing well and getting some independence...........

I live in Australia, and so guess my kids would say they are Aussie, and I am fine with that.  I remain 100% English and can say that even with a Mother who was Irish:)

I will say though that America did a really quite fantastic job keeping this world together, certainly post WW2.  it's job as the western leader post really WW1 has been done great largely, we are plain lucky of it's values.  I have not seen the film but I hope that part was brought out too.  The whole peninsula might still look very different were it not for a kind influence, even in foreign policy terms.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,525 Posts
    Tue, Aug 15 2017 9:56 PM

gonfission:

Simon,

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

/.../

One last quote from ole George Orwell

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.”

As long as there are boots...

☢---------<*{{{{{-(

Wow!! Very well said indeed like Jeff said.

If some of the world leaders had half of your and George Orwell's wisdom & farsighted views, this world would have been a better place for all of us.

Unfortunately it seems to me that instead of making constant progress, we are going retro, back to the early 20th century right before WWI. The trigger is always pulled in an expected place and moment like the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria for WWI. I just hope the northern fatty boy wouldn't be the case in our era.

Thanks for your eloquent writing, Joe.

Jimbog1964:

Look take my hat off to any nation doing well and getting some independence...........

I live in Australia, and so guess my kids would say they are Aussie, and I am fine with that.  I remain 100% English and can say that even with a Mother who was Irish:)

I will say though that America did a really quite fantastic job keeping this world together, certainly post WW2.  it's job as the western leader post really WW1 has been done great largely, we are plain lucky of it's values.  I have not seen the film but I hope that part was brought out too.  The whole peninsula might still look very different were it not for a kind influence, even in foreign policy terms.

Yes, Jim. Can't agree more.

RSS