Forums

Help › Forums

Success without Paying

Sun, Oct 4 2009 10:09 AM (22 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 11:13 AM

I just upgraded my clubs - got the G10 pro set. I didn't realize, as I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere (didn't actually search for it, either) that the "master sets" aren't available if you've not attained that tier. I'm just a newb here, but wanted to interject an opinion/observation of mine, regarding new clubs (mainly for other newbs here):

Remember this... just as when you begin using new clubs in real golf, you are opening-up a whole new can of worms when you do it here. The max yardages for the clubs, especially the drivers, necessitate adjusting the distance/stroke meter ALOT more than when using the starter clubs, AND the aiming (dragging of the target) becomes a substantially more important exercise.

New clubs make for an almost totally new experience on the courses, so don't expect it to get any easier right off the first tee if you go out and buy the "best" clubs. I was curious about how new (better) clubs would impact my game, because seeing the others here posting low scores consistently, made me think that the game got easier using the better equipment. It doesn't, but it sure makes it more fun.

Granted, the swing meter speed gets faster with the G10's, making it a bit rougher to hit the "ding" consistently, but I just wanted to let others know that there are other aspects that come into play, as well. One of the main reasons in my deciding to go with a "pay set" is that I wanted to be able to find a groove and be able to stick with it early enough in my "career" so that I wouldn't have to suffer a major change later-on. Although I'm new here, I've had ALOT of time to shoot ALOT of rounds and felt it was time for me to take the plunge.

Believe me when I say, I've gained a whole new level of respect for those of you who have managed to learn the intricacies of the better - "pay" clubs - and have successfully whittled-down your scores!

Side notes/questions... have you guys "sold back" your old premium sets to offset the purchase of the new ones, or do you find that keeping them is wise? And, can individual clubs from a purchased set be sold back individually, or do you have to sell back the entire set? Just a note to the newbs: (as of this post)  you can't sell back the clubs that were given you when the game started.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 11:38 AM

It depends what you mean by 'set'

Your irons 3-pw must be sold as one thing but if you bought say the Rapture set DR, 3W, Hybrid, irons,wedges.  they may all be sold separately. 

*edit*

You get 25% of the list price back eg. If you paid 100 credits for a club you would get 25 credits back when you trade it in.

Therefore 25% of nothing (the clubs you were given for free) is still nothing.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 12:00 PM

Thanks SC.

• ChrisSterling
    2 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2009 9:40 AM

Practice range would be so nice !!! I made pro the 2nd day (only about 6 front 9's on Kiah course....Ihave level 1 upgraded driver (orange) and Blue Balls - HA !!....

It would be cool to also unlock a new course every so often for reaching different levels.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2009 4:00 PM

Ive been a master now for a couple of weeks....I have the Master Tailor mades...driver everything.

I shot better as a pro with good rapture's (ping)

Still trying to get my meter timing together with the Tailors..

And even with that..ive been in a couple of matches with great players who play with the starters and maybe a nice putter and a wedge and got my pipes cleaned...they are the exceptions, not the rules.

This game is about your ability to hit the meter on the head..if you really struggle to do that but want to upgrade...go with the pings...

If your good with the meter  then go with the faster meter clubs...if its still too fast, get the g.i.d balls as this slows the meter to more manageable speeds but will still be quick...a GREAT TEST of your meter skils would be to buy a satin z wedge...if you can handle that meter then by all means  get the faster clubs..if not try the gid balls and see how that works out...if you can hit the ball well...then your in luck....happy golfin!

• TheLegendary
    21 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 2:16 PM

I made it to master tier with all starter clubs, once i hit master tier i bought the r9 though.

• BeachGolf
    119 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 1:23 PM

Your best bet is to play the "Closest to the pin" contests, which don't require distance control.  Try to place as high as you can and earn some credits.  Move up to the "Tour Standard" clubs (except driver) as you get enough credits.  The only thing you really need to upgrade if you want to play stroke play is the driver, which is at least 600 credits.  But, you won't win many credits playing stroke play tourneys without better clubs.  Stick with the Closest to the pin contests. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:58 PM

I've been playing about a month and quickly made it to the pro level.  I could have made it to master if I didn't post all my scores with the standard clubs, but I chose not to do that.  I have upgraded my driver and 3 wood to the Ping Rapture version, still using the standard of everything else.  I don't believe that you can be competetive without buying a whole set of the upgraded clubs, at least not in any of the tournaments.  I do play with others from time to time and it is easy to pick out the masters and pros who have bought their game and quit at the sign of a bogey.  It is similar to real golf where you have a 5 handicapper who turns in every score and a 5 who turns in only his good scores, you can beat the second player every time.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 6:35 PM

I can vouch for Tarheels here.  I was playing Kiawah with him a while back and he had an atrocious back 9.  I chatted with him and said I wouldn't mind if he wanted to quit on 18, but he said "No", that he preferred not to quit.  He finished the 9 holes and his average ballooned about 3-4 strokes.  I could tell he was a good virtual golfer having a bad day.  Since then he's brought his average way down. 

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Sep 28 2009 10:26 PM

That to me is very admirable..and 'represents' as the kids say...well done

RSS