Forums

Help › Forums

Success without Paying

Sun, Oct 4 2009 10:09 AM (22 replies)
  • SloanKettering
    2 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 7:49 AM

Hey All,

I am pretty new here and was just wondering if it was possible to get good enough with the standard clubs to compete in tournaments at the Pro level aka finish in the Top 100. I know I need to just practice a lot more but as I look at some of you top players your bag is filled with better equipment.  Thanks All!!

• rustynipples
    199 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 7:58 AM

I don't think I am one to talk as I am also a new player and I don't use the standard clubs, however I have seen master and pro rank players with standard clubs shoot under par consistently.

I think it is all practice and having better clubs doesn't hurt of course.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 9:36 AM

SK- There is no doubt you can make pro with the basic clubs, it just requires a different approach.

Golfers that do well with the basic set all know what they can do with those clubs. They know the nuances of the clubs, the yardages they can get, how rough/sand/wind affect that yardage and basically everything you would need to know if you played on a real course. All this came from practicing and competing. Do it enough and it becomes automatic.

Treat this game as a real encounter in your mind and play it accordingly. As you progress to the next levels you get enough credits to maybe get a longer driver and change your approach distances, or balls that help. Whatever  flips your switch-you'll find what satisfies you.

I personally find this a very realistic game and went for the equipment, spending a ton less than I did on Links, back when. I started here when the US Open was going on and they didn't have these nice clubs. BPB was a horror show for a while until I caught onto the realism and got my bag under control. Then the clubs came out and here we are now. The point is, I made pro with the basic clubs (think I might have had a putter then-not sure) and you can too.

I'd be happy to hook up with you and ditch the equipment for the basic stuff for a round-just look me up. GL

YJ

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 9:50 AM

Can you finish in the top 100 in tournys here with just the basic standard clubs?

Yes, but it will be very difficult.

Can you finish in the top 10 in tournys here with just the basic standard clubs?

Highly unlikely, and it would be a minor miracle if you did.

HTH

• SloanKettering
    2 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 11:40 AM

Thanks for the Replies!!

I think I will take all of your advice.  As in real golf you need to get to a certain level before equipment even becomes a factor.  So I will keep on practicing and taking my lumps in tourneys til I can make a 15 - 20ft putt consistantly.  I wish there was a practice chipping and putting green!

The wind on Bethpage will be my enemy til I get some longer clubs but what does it matter if you can't make 12ft birdie/par putts with regularity!

Thanks Again!!

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2009 11:40 AM

I use pretty much all starter clubs, I do have the higher level starter driver.  I am at the pro level and if I could putt I think I could consistently score about 4 under par.  I don't think it is possible to use the clubs that I have and finish in the top 10 in any tournament or challenge.  You sort of hit a wall when you get to this place with these clubs.  The higher level clubs hit the ball 30 to 40 yards longer off the tee, giving you such an advantage hitting approach shots in and even reaching par 5's in two.  The wedges also appear to be very advantageous.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 1:58 AM

New here... and I'm feelin' the frustration, but after getting the 54W & 60W (satin z's I think), the game started to take on some realism, and I started to find the green alot easier. Got them with the "gift credits" from moving up tiers. Well... those two clubs helped and ALOT of rounds did, too!

I've been off work with an elbow injury, so this is the only golfing I've been able to do, and I'm wearing out my mouse! lol. Wonder if the pro-shop will start offering those at a discount!

Gotta agree with rusty, though... it's all about the practice, but the "better clubs" sure don't hurt. I think I finished in 4th place (tied, I mean) in the wk37 BPB back nine stroke tourney so I hope I win enough to get a better putter, or at least enough to "lay one away", heh-heh!

I'll be off-work for awhile, still... so I may end up coughin'-up some dough for some better clubs.

I think this game rocks! :) Hang in there, SK... practice, practice!

Tarheels... go for those wedges next... you're right... they def make a diff!

• xevious
    2 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 2:02 AM

I've been playing for 2 days, already made Pro w/ standard sticks.  Earned enough credits for the 100cr driver and some orange balls for a little extra distance.  I don't think many people can reach master consistently hitting 180+ yard shots into the greens, but Pro wasn't very difficult to obtain.

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Mon, Sep 14 2009 7:23 PM

i don't know how, but i made master after about a week of playing.  i had one round that i played out of my mind which i think is what played a big part.  i'm still using the standard clubs which pretty much leaves me out of contention on the stroke-play tournaments, but i keep pecking away at the CTTH tourneys trying to earn enough to upgrade the driver (almost there!). 

I don't get people who *** about this (free) game.  would it be nice if there were more courses, different pin-placements, no more f**king "beast", etc.?  sure, but it's not like you (or anyone) is not getting their money's worth*.

*not to say i wouldn't like to see a practice range where you can test out new clubs!!

• ZekeSr
    36 Posts
    Tue, Sep 15 2009 10:08 AM

I agree I wish there were more then Bethpage and Kiawah (sp?) Island used for tournaments.  I just purchased new irons, putter and driver and am having a very difficult time adjusting to how fast the meter goes compared to the generic clubs.  I get within 90 yards on most holes and need to buy some wedges I think soon that can help in that area besides using my 9 iron that goes 110.  Putting on this game is the most difficult if I could putt I would average much better than the 67 I average now but will keep practicing.

RSS