Forums

Help › Forums

Intentionally raising average

Thu, May 11 2023 9:19 AM (42 replies)
  • CMitchell22425
    7 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2023 4:39 AM

I wasn't having a bad Round, I was even par (i.e. playing to my average!). I was hitting every fairway and green in regulation, but when your opponent gets the 'heartbeat' on almost every approach shot (rangin from 80yards to 200 yards out), I was NO CHANCE!

If I'm playing in a H2H, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that WGT will select an opponent that I have a 40% - 60% chance of beating (and vise versa). On this occasion, I was <5% chance.

No one can still answer the Q of how someone who clearly shoots in the equivalent of the 50s consistently has an average of 89.8! I was playing to my average, he was going to beat his average (if extrapolated out to 18 holes) by OVER 30 shots.....it's not unreasonable to be matched against someone I have 'some' hope of beating, that's all I'm saying :)

• CMitchell22425
    7 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2023 6:47 AM

Wow GL, that's very kind of you. Thanks.

I posted a reply with some Aussie slang, but I think the moderators might have been a bit confused by it! :)

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2023 9:34 AM

CMitchell22425:
    If I'm playing in a H2H, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that WGT will select an opponent that I have a 40% - 60% chance of beating (and vise versa).

And how exactly would WGT do that?  How would they accurately estimate each player's chances of winning any particular match-up?  

In order to keep H2H games moving along, WGT matches you with the first available player who also happens to be looking for a match at that particular time.  Sometimes that's a better player than you, sometimes you are the better player, and sometimes you're pretty close skill-wise.  

Once the game begins, my advice is to just do your best.  If you win, great.  If you lose, even if it's a beat-down, shrug it off and move on.  Control what you can (i.e. your own play), not what you can't.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2023 10:28 AM

CMitchell22425:
    If I'm playing in a H2H, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that WGT will select an opponent that I have a 40% - 60% chance of beating (and vise versa). On this occasion, I was <5% chance.

There will be other times when you're the clearly favoured player.  The question of how could someone with that average..........how could we answer without knowing who the player is?  Among the possibilities is they mainly play coin games, alt shot or MP (no recent ranked rounds) so the average is from a game they played when they started.  They may have deliberately manipulated their average but there's no long term gain in that and I doubt if it affected how you played against them.  As has been said it didn't affect the chances of you being drawn to play against them.

What I mainly wanted to say was NEVER CLICK THAT LINK

pdb1

08 May 2023
    "HELLO SIR"

Please check this link .

and please (to almost quote the Animals) mothers tell your children, not to click a link Paul's done  ;-)

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2023 3:21 PM

pdb1:
    Have you become a hater now DP ?

I think you are obsessed with how you think others should enjoy CC's, albeit you haven't even been in one for a long time.  Where he is he gets shot and putter pal, about half a dozen of them are active.  It's roughly the same as the CC I'm in, no commitments; clash or annoying tournaments to play.  I know most don't want that but some of us do and, importantly, he didn't ask about CC's.

However my first reply was mostly joking about how, on the internet, whenever you see "please check this link" without any indication of what it's about it's best to assume it's dodgy :-) 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2023 4:07 PM

pdb1:

SamSpayed:
    In order to keep H2H games moving along, WGT matches you with the first available player who also happens to be looking for a match at that particular time. 

Yes . In H2H . You are matched with the players in that Coin Room at the time .

Thank you for confirming that, not sure I would've believed it otherwise... 

RSS