Forums

Help › Forums

Cheaper courses

Thu, Jun 15 2017 12:27 PM (37 replies)
  • bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Jun 8 2017 2:43 PM

Wutpa you are right but if you look at the mobile platform then you will see the gimmicks.

I dont play that way, PC for me but i feel when folks mention the gimmick side, its the fear that Topgolf since taking over are driving that platform more than PC.

Just my opinion.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 12:23 AM

Wutpa:
    "a gimmick golf platform"

This was primarily aimed at the mobile platform, which I downloaded and promptly deleted. It looks and plays like cartoon golf......coins, rooms and shortened versions.

And since the launch of this platform, the PC version has stagnated and lets face it, this is probably the platform of the future, especially for the younger generation who seem to like the twee features.

Do not get me wrong, all in all, this is still an excellent game, and WGT has always focused on gimmicks (perhaps an indication most of the team are gamers rather than golfers hence the valentines, champagne balls etc). 

But every update the game grows from being realistic....meowing cat balls, shot data, putt previews, slow meter boosts, golden putters and passes, commentary sounds (again wtf is a garden spot), ambient and environmental sounds etc. 

Yes, many of these have been around before TG took over, but there has been no clear direction, nor anyone from TG or WGT step in stating the vision for the game.

The junior marketing and programming team seem to have no reins, and have poetic licence to release junk  and continue to become Super Mario on a golf course (I am still amazed buggy's have not been introduced after the useless golf bags)

Clubs continue to get better.....so much so the VUSO qualifying score will be 55 or less....there were only 3 or 4 players under par in the first VUSO......

These days a top driver is nearly a guarantee you will find a fairway, even if it was 20 feet wide, an approach with a wedge is a poor shot if you are 5 feet away...... 

Mostly it is revenue driven....or greed (depends on the perspective) but there is a fine line between being realistic and being gimmicky.

The mobile platform is useful for short games but is like golf of a Game Boy - cartoon like in everything bar the photorealism.......on PC, they are continuing down that path.

• Edgey54321
    547 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 2:33 AM

The term other course receives two answer one welcoming and the other derision, Let look at a few courses

Torrey Pines,                 Winged Foot    

Shinnecock Hills                    Quail Hollow  

Baltusrol                          Oak Hill      

Medinah                              Carnoustie    

Muirfield                              Turnberry        

Royal Troon                             Birkdale      

Lytham St Annes  there are many many more in Europe The Belfry   Portugal and Spain have testing Championship courses.

Some may not agree with all  but if you could pick five out of this list I dont think you would end up disappointed with the result

So lets hope that someone somewhere takes notice  of this post and its 3 pages currently or am I being naive 

Alan

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 3:07 AM

I agree - that's a fine list of premium courses - would be nice to play them online!

Alas,

Edgey54321:
    Lytham St Annes

was WGT's would-be third Open Championship course in 2012, after STA in 2010 and RSG in 2011. At that time some information was issued by WGT stating that an agreement on that matter could not be achieved with the club (dunno of the reasons though). After that, no more British courses were mentioned.

Edgey54321:
    So lets hope that someone somewhere takes notice  of this post and its 3 pages currently or am I being naive 

I'm afraid that I can't support the former. They are WGT, hope is futile.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 9:18 AM

Edgey54321:

The term other course receives two answer one welcoming and the other derision, Let look at a few courses

Torrey Pines,                 Winged Foot    

Shinnecock Hills                    Quail Hollow  

Baltusrol                          Oak Hill      

Medinah                              Carnoustie    

Muirfield                              Turnberry        

Royal Troon                             Birkdale      

Lytham St Annes  there are many many more in Europe The Belfry   Portugal and Spain have testing Championship courses.

Some may not agree with all  but if you could pick five out of this list I dont think you would end up disappointed with the result

Alan

3 of those courses are scheduled to host the US Open:

• 2017 -- Erin Hills
    • 2018 -- Shinnecock Hills
    • 2019 -- Pebble Beach
    • 2020 -- Winged Foot
    • 2021 -- Torrey Pines

The bigger questions are if they will appear here on WGT, and will we keep the other courses we have, in light of what happened with Oakmont?

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 2:03 PM

phred952:
    The bigger questions are if they will appear here on WGT, and will we keep the other courses we have, in light of what happened with Oakmont?

Oakmont always seemed to be a little different since it wasn't allowed to be included in the 'Best Of...' courses. I hope that's an indicator that the same fate doesn't await the other courses.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 8:58 PM

Wutpa:

Oakmont always seemed to be a little different since it wasn't allowed to be included in the 'Best Of...' courses. I hope that's an indicator that the same fate doesn't await the other courses.

I agree.  I've wondered if the reason no renewal agreement could be reached with Oakmont was due to the course being made avail for Custom Courses using Course Builders when they were introduced?  I know most people were surprised by that.  A moot point now, of course.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2017 11:05 PM

phred952:

I agree.  I've wondered if the reason no renewal agreement could be reached with Oakmont....

Do you know for sure it was a contract renewal issue? I haven't seen anything indicating the reason.

Most business contracts these days have performance clauses that stipulate specific financial penalties for certain performance standards that aren't met. They also contain clauses that allow either party to terminate the contract with 30 days' notice. Either Oakmont or WGT may have just called off their relationship and a renewal had nothing to do with it.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, Jun 10 2017 4:31 AM

srellim234:

phred952:

I agree.  I've wondered if the reason no renewal agreement could be reached with Oakmont....

Do you know for sure it was a contract renewal issue? I haven't seen anything indicating the reason.

Most business contracts these days have performance clauses that stipulate specific financial penalties for certain performance standards that aren't met. They also contain clauses that allow either party to terminate the contract with 30 days' notice. Either Oakmont or WGT may have just called off their relationship and a renewal had nothing to do with it.

No I have no inside knowledge, obviously.  I merely threw out the possibility that by allowing the use of Oakmont holes in creation of "Best of " type courses it violated the contract terms.  

I remember it being discussed when the Course Builders were introduced.  Many people stated they were surprised that WGT allowed Oakmont to be used with Course Builders, since WGT was prohibited from using Oakmont holes in "Best of " Courses.  Pure speculation, obviously.   We will probably never find out why the agreement ended.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Sat, Jun 10 2017 10:30 AM

imo, I dont care if they are famous well known courses, any new stroke play courses are needed to keep from getting stagnant.

RSS