Forums

Help › Forums

Cheaper courses

Thu, Jun 15 2017 12:27 PM (37 replies)
  • Williams01210021
    1,231 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 12:58 PM

seeing as alot of people are moaning about losing oakmont and all we hear is how it costs so much to keep these courses, why dont wgt go find some other courses that are less famous. Surely there are plenty of other courses that won't charge fee's or have massive contracts. What people want more than anything is variety, yes we all want the top courses but have a mix and throw in some lesser known courses and people would be fine as more selection. 

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 6:31 PM

+1    YES Sir !!!

Any new courses would be great ..

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 11:53 PM

+1 William is so right. 

I'm sure there are golf courses in and out of the States which will even pay WGT to be included in the list, considering it as a part of their advertisements.

• treebeard
    227 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2017 1:55 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

+1 William is so right. 

I'm sure there are golf courses in and out of the States which will even pay WGT to be included in the list, considering it as a part of their advertisements.

I have to agree here. After 7 years not much has happened. Variety is the spice of life.  Oh, and as for Oakmont....... everything dies.  

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2017 1:55 AM

It'll be interesting to see what the future brings..............       I've never really understood why WGT has never gone back to courses they already use on CTTH (Valhalla, Harbour Town, Wolf Creek, Bali Hai,  Celtic Manor, Edgewood, Keole, Hilversumsche, and Manelle)  and finish the course terrain mapping to include stroke play.

With the use of SAT and Drone technology, I would expect the terrain mapping cost to decrease substantially as opposed to helicopter use........    

At one point, when SkyTrak began it's partnership with WGT, I had hopes that partnership would flourish and more courses (opportunities) would  be in the making...............not so much.

I fear, since Top Golf purchased WGT,  we will see a gradual move away from pure, authentic and realistic golf experiences into a  "Gimmick Golf" platform..........   Soon to be released things such as  using baseball bats and shovels instead of clubs, garden rakes and hoe's instead of putters, beer cans and shot glasses instead of  real golf holes for putting.   Instead of CTTH  events, we'll be hitting balls from Cruise Ship Decks toward towed rafts.   Stroke Play will be obstacle courses,  utilizing city street as fairways, bunkers will now be manhole covers, trees will be automobiles,  grass will be asphalt, rough will be gravel,  fescue will be street lined litter,   etc...etc....

Personally, when WGT and Top Golf merged.......it was a defining moment.....  a moment when the decision was made to move away from a traditional golf experience.     

• Lute345
    2,483 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2017 5:31 AM

Lucky, I hate to agree with you but I'm afraid you are right!! I've only been on WGT for 3 years now but since joining there hasn't been any new courses other than Erin Hills added to the line up. I think your comment hit the nail on the head when you said we're in for more gimmick golf rather than the true form we are so accustom to now that TopGolf has taken over.

I really enjoyed coming up thru the ranks and playing such tough courses as Oakmont, Merion, Pinehurst, Bethpage Black and St. Georges just to name a few. And it's my opinion we're going to lose more courses down the road as well so take advantage of them while you can before they're also gone!!

Lute

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2017 7:30 AM

Lute345:

Lucky, I hate to agree with you but I'm afraid you are right!! I've only been on WGT for 3 years now but since joining there hasn't been any new courses other than Erin Hills added to the line up.

Lute

You seem to have forgotten Chambers Bay, and Pebble Beach being made into a Full Course, instead of just CTTH.  Both were completed after you joined in 2014.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2017 8:52 AM

Williams01210021:
    Surely there are plenty of other courses that won't charge fee's or have massive contracts.

Even so, the assumption is that it's simply the cost of the contract that prevents them from adding more than one course per year. That may not be the case. At this point, it may the case that they only have the resources (for example, in terms of personnel, time, and infrastructure) to add one course per year.

In other words, courses that would cost less would probably result in an increase in their profits but not necessarily a real increase in number of courses added each year.

• Lute345
    2,483 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2017 11:05 AM

Sorry, I stand corrected, I did forget about those two courses. Thank you for bringing those to my attention phred. They can have Chambers Bay though as far as I'm concerned. Not a real fan of that layout.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, May 21 2017 4:38 AM

Lute345:

Sorry, I stand corrected, I did forget about those two courses. Thank you for bringing those to my attention phred. They can have Chambers Bay though as far as I'm concerned. Not a real fan of that layout.

You also seam to have forgotten Best of Bandon. So it's a par 3 course.... it is still a very demanding cuourse.

RSS