Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews #17

Mon, May 23 2011 9:31 AM (25 replies)
  • piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:17 PM

Aim extreme right from the tee, even if you hit the fescue, it opens up the green and gives you more to aim at.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:19 PM

St Andrews 17th (The Road Hole)

The reason the Road Hole is the greatest par four in the world is because it's a par five. 
    -Ben Crenshaw Sports Illustrated (1984)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 1:15 AM

8buster8:

St Andrews 17th (The Road Hole)

The reason the Road Hole is the greatest par four in the world is because it's a par five. 
    -Ben Crenshaw Sports Illustrated (1984)

I think a par on this hole is as good as a birdie.  Off the Blacks, I think it's my hardest hole, with a head wind, well it's just terrible... 

I'm still experimenting with different approaches... I think...never go for the pin dead on, you can be lucky...but most of the time in the bunker or in the Ferscue at the back.

Most of the time I aim for right side of bunker... making sure I get over the mound at front of green and let the roll of the green bring it around closer to the hole.

Easy isn't it (not)...lol..very tricky...most of the time it works (maybe some of the time)..

The most important shot is the Drive...sets ya up for the rest of the hole.

Cheers

Roger

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 1:56 AM

It's also the fastest green on the course which doesn't help.

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 6:05 AM

This is not a hard hole at all if you play for par.  As said before, keep the drive right, and then hit the approach to the right of the pin and let the slope feed the ball to the hole.  I probably birdie this hole 50% of the time, and the only bogeys I've had in a long time come from meter glitches/freezes on the approach, leaving the ball in the trap or left of it.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:03 AM

daniel127:

I would prefer St. A #17 over BPB #15 anyday - Par is always in play, depending how u play #17 with back pin. Just take the bunker out of play and more often bring the approach in from the right and roll it as close as you can to 2 putt and possibly make bird. If the wind is going left to right, come in the back door. easy pitch up and putt for par. With BPB #15 to many uncertainties for me

See I find it quite the opposite. The lower pin on BP #15 I can birdie about 50% of the time. SA 17, I can count on 1 hand the birdies I have made there.

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 9:07 AM

If I can hit the ding I do well on the right hand approach shot, if not who knows. Don't go long off the back of the green as it is out of bounds. I found out the hard way.  All in all a great golf hole IMO.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 10:14 AM

mohuyu:

I'd very much like to hear the "doodles top ten"...

Give me a few hours and a few R11 clubs and I'll give you my top 10...

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 11:18 AM

St. Andrews 17th is a work of genius, especially in a matchplay situation. If you get to play this hole then the score is max 1 up to someone and anything can happen at this hole, it's a real game maker or breaker.

I'm finding now I've got the top R9 driver and G10 irons I can make par reasonably reliably, actually managed a rare birdie this morning.  The advice already given is how I play it; aim a bit right with the approach, land a few yards short and let the slope carry the ball towards the hole.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 11:20 AM

As long as were on the subject of #17 at Andy, here's a dilema I encountered in my 1st RG as a Legend.

Note, as most of you know any wind right to left, the bunker sucks your approach shot like a magnet. So I aim right (as I always do in this scenario) aim and ding my shot perfectly, expecting to land on the right side of the green and roll softly to the pin. But NO! the wind has no effect, (none/nada) ball hits through the fesque and lands IN THE WALL. OB, right? or at least ball in unplayable lie. Nope. Play the ball as it lies! 

Anyway, where am I standing? front of wall, back of wall or IN the wall?

If your interested on the result of the shot, watch this.

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=b3866a8e-02f2-4873-9277-9ecf0082b31c

RSS