Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews #17

Mon, May 23 2011 9:31 AM (25 replies)
  • flogomatic
    65 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:00 AM

this hole always frustrates me as I can't seem to be able to attack the pin, is this just par for the course (wow yeah thats bad) or is there a way about this?

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:16 AM

flogomatic:

this hole always frustrates me as I can't seem to be able to attack the pin, is this just par for the course (wow yeah thats bad) or is there a way about this?

I figure it as a bogey, anything else is a plus. The best advice I received is to not worry about the pin. Pick a spot on the green you want to be to try and attack the down hill putt and aim for it. Try to get close enough for a 2 putt and if ypu get better great. Since trying this strategy I have made parr more than bogey.   Good luck, its a very tuff green.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:48 AM

TracyMax:

flogomatic:

I figure it as a bogey, anything else is a plus. The best advice I received is to not worry about the pin. Pick a spot on the green you want to be to try and attack the down hill putt and aim for it. Try to get close enough for a 2 putt and if ypu get better great. Since trying this strategy I have made parr more than bogey.   Good luck, its a very tuff green.

It's not even in the top 10 of hard holes on WGT IMO. On the faster greens use the hill that slopes towards the hole to get close. Then just easily 2putt. If you have slower greens you're playing off shorter tees so you're playing a lower club so you should be able to get over the bunker and stop it. It's a birdie hole, wait until you try #9 of Oakmont and stop playing the easy courses.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:07 PM

SgtDoodles:

TracyMax:

flogomatic:

. It's a birdie hole, wait until you try #9 of Oakmont and stop playing the easy courses.

Not sure I agree ST.A  17 is a birdie hole, but will certainly agree on Oak #9! Wish they'd come up with an alternate pin placement. 

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:23 PM

flogomatic:

You are not alone, this hole continues to frustrate even the pro's. Now, if I have a choice between this hole and BP #15, I will take BP all day long.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:44 PM

STA17 = par possibly bogey

BPB15 = bogey possibly par

or, you know, vice versa

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 3:10 PM

SgtDoodles:
    It's not even in the top 10 of hard holes on WGT IMO.

I'd very much like to hear the "doodles top ten"...

• daniel127
    7 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 3:43 PM

I would prefer St. A #17 over BPB #15 anyday - Par is always in play, depending how u play #17 with back pin. Just take the bunker out of play and more often bring the approach in from the right and roll it as close as you can to 2 putt and possibly make bird. If the wind is going left to right, come in the back door. easy pitch up and putt for par. With BPB #15 to many uncertainties for me

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 5:02 PM

mohuyu:

SgtDoodles:
    It's not even in the top 10 of hard holes on WGT IMO.

I'd very much like to hear the "doodles top ten"...

or the Zag top ten.  There's a new thread-----top ten hardest holes on the WGT courses

• flogomatic
    65 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:44 PM

SgtDoodles:

TracyMax:

flogomatic:

It's not even in the top 10 of hard holes on WGT IMO. On the faster greens use the hill that slopes towards the hole to get close. Then just easily 2putt. If you have slower greens you're playing off shorter tees so you're playing a lower club so you should be able to get over the bunker and stop it. It's a birdie hole, wait until you try #9 of Oakmont and stop playing the easy courses.

i never said it was a hard hole, I just said I didnt know the best way if any to attack the pin. As the replies seem to confirm that there really isnt another option then laying it out to the right and two putting.

For the record I don't just play the "easy" courses but to be honest Oakmont is so hard it makes it not fun to play so I'd prefer to play the others. If you ever run into me in alt shot you will find that I am one of the few players who actually starts games at Oakmont, for variety sake and to see how other players take on the holes.

RSS