Forums

Help › Forums

The Site Police

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 24 2009 8:41 AM (35 replies)
  • iconian
    599 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 1:34 PM

Ok, we need to implement the following rule: limit snaike's and faterson's posts to 100words or they MUST provide tltr: (too lazy to read) cliffnotes

carry on!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 1:46 PM

I disagree with Tibbets's post. It's only a question of proper management and supervision. Should any moderator misbehave, users may always complain to forum admin who may cancel any moderator's post. And should moderators inadvertently mess up the forum's database (some of my overzealous sub-moderators did this to me as a forum admin), the database can be restored from a backup that any forum admin is obliged to perform on a daily (if not hourly) basis. At the top, there is a forum admin. Underneath, there is usually one or a few super-moderators, with the authority to make forum-wide decisions. And underneath may be section moderators responsible for various forum divisions.

As to separate identities, absolutely. In the forum for whose management I get paid, I have 2 nicks. When there is a reason (none too frequent) for the moderator to speak up, I log into the forum as moderator & post as him. When there is normal talk where I express my biased opinions, I'm logged into the forum under an ordinary user's account. The casual reader wouldn't even suspect that person A & person B are the same person. And that's the way it should be.

Should WGT decide to install a moderator, they could make up a new generic nickname, for example WGTmod. (We already get to read posts by WGTadmin2 in this forum.) Now as to who that WGTmod might be, would be for WGT to decide. They could secretly assign that new nickname to Nivlac, AvatarLee, or anyone else whom they would deem fit to do the job. The results of WGTmod's work would show whether that decision was right or wrong. There could also be WGTmod2, WGTmod3, etc., etc. But unlike Tibbets, I see nothing wrong with users moderating under their own user names either. It's a question of trust and integrity. I for one have all the trust in folks like Nivlac & AvatarLee, so seeing them put on the super-moderator's hat would be no cause for concern for me.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 1:59 PM

I'm simply all for a dedicated mod team at this time.  Whether that is me, Faterson or whoever else doesn't much matter.  I just want someone to take on that role in an official capacity so this forum and community within can return to the "great hangout" that it once was.

6 months ago everyone was getting along just fine.  Questions were fired once and answered.  Topics were discussed in a completely civil manner and rarely did the silly stuff go on longer than it needed to.  Nowadays, it just seems like a different beast (no pun intended).  I'm only looking for a return to past greatness, regardless of who ushers it in.

To the OP :  Pardon my rudeness for not directly answering your initial inquiry.  For me, it just depends on what day it is.  Today, as you can see, is a no golf day.  I don't even want to look at a swing meter or line up a putt.  The game is my home, but the forums are my second home.  I just like to see what's going on in the neighborhood when the urge to play the game cannot be convinced to show itself. :P 

I've been on many forums in the past where the absence of moderators invites a completely degenerate crowd.  You see numerous instances of bad etiquette, name calling, trolling, spam advertisements and various other activities that usually run forums into the ground.  I've seen it happen so many times over the years and when I see that type of behavior start to creep up on WGT, the automatic response is to try and nip it before it begins to destroy this community too.  If it is left un-policed, then degeneration begins.  Once that type of behavior gets rolling it's a hard snowball to stop and it leaves a nasty "community unfriendly" wake that's a pain to clean up.  Folks who don't have a lot of experience on "bad forums" often mistake this behavior for a need to control.  They don't understand how fast things can go south when bad etiquette is allowed to run rampant. 

Typically, someone steps up to enforce a common sense rule (such as duplicate postings) and ends up being treated with disdain or ire because most folks don't realize that the effort made is intended to help the forum community and not to criticize the poster for not knowing the rules.  Sometimes it's difficult for people to understand that.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 2:15 PM

Thank you Snaike.  I feel as if you do perceive my original post as an indictment which was never my intent.  I sincerely appreciate your well thought out reply and indeed it does help me understand the drive to do it.  One day I might find inspiration to do the same but for now I'll continue sharpen my skills on the course.  I've always been interested in people and where they draw their inspiration to which I am very thankful for Faterson and you taking time the clear up the conundrum I was pondering.  The comments about being "selfless" and "helpful" were in no way sarcastic, although I am very blessed, or cursed, with the same gift as you.  You put a lot of effort in what you do and I believe everyone should express a bit of gratitude.  I was a virgin to forums until experiencing the one on this site and you were right there to help me on my way with your concise direction that I should try the Search option. 

As for sandbaggers and their polar opposites, people who achieve promotion by playing the easiest courses and tourneys, they should in no way be shown mercy.  I contend that you play EVERY shot to the best of your ability.  I would direct these people to a very short but entertaining read entitled Golf in the Kingdom by Michael Murphy.  I read it about 10 years ago and it not only changed the way I approached the great game of golf, but it also had a profound impact on the way I execute my life on a daily basis.  Since being promoted to Master, I still had the ability to compete in several Pro tier tourneys but have generally done so with my Pro tier clubs (I try to remember to change them out) in fairness to others and to not artificially lower my scoring average.

Kudos my friend on a job well done and I look forward to playing a round or two with you one day.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 10:56 PM

First, I would like to thank the WGT Admin who restored this thread... Thank you.

Second, I would urge my fellow participants herein to do their utmost to keep this thread civil, polite, constructive, and not give our WGT friends a chance to regret giving us back this thread.

Thank you for your attention.

Peace.

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 11:14 PM

Yeah. I was gonna say that didnt they delete it. Wow, WGT responded quick on that one! lol

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 12:37 AM

This is an outrage.

What happened to the "What happened to the Site Police" thread?

I made a funny there and the whole damn thread was deleted! This is inexcusable, this site needs moderation.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 1:07 AM

In defence of WGT admins, this thead was not started in the correct forum subsection. It is neither an announcement, nor recent news. An appropriate forum subsection would perhaps have been Product SuggestionsWGT Beta or And Everything Else.

Given that the thread was restored in its original incorrect location (and thank you very much for restoring it!), does that mean that the functionality to move threads is not available in this forum software, as feared by Nivlac & me on the previous page?

(Signing off for today, as there are loads of work on this Sunday, un-Christian as that may seem. Looking forward to revisiting WGT on Monday.)  

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 9:39 AM

Once again I showed my lack of forum polish by posting in the wrong area but thanks for the coaching.  I'll catch on sooner or later.

Also, my thanks to WGT for the restoration as this is indeed a constructive conversation.

• Cookey04
    2 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 9:45 AM

I am very new here so pardon my posting in the incorrect area if I am doing so....

Is there something being done about people starting a game with you and then when you are beating them or if they have a bad hole, they disconnect?

It is fun to watch your rating lower but raelly this is disheartening and could be a reason people bail.

Please advise.

RSS