Help › Forums

Solve the Quitters problem (Round 2)

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 16 2009 4:05 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JCarrier
    9 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 6:18 AM

For some reason the "Solve the Quitters" thread has been locked and will not allow for anymore posts so I have started the discussion again.  First I'm not much for writing posts but I have to get this off my chest. 

I have quit because of bad play,  I have also quit because I have a life that doesn't always revolve around WGT and sometimes it may appear that I have quit but was disconnected for some reason or another.  What I do though is to acknowledge the people I play with and let them know I am going to disconnect before doing so.  I play in groups because I'm competitive and it helps me focus on the game more.  And I like the comradely that goes with it. 

Now with that said,  I don't have issues with people quitting because when it comes down to it,  it's just a game.

As for you Faterson,  I have read your posts and think it's time to step off your soap box.  Today I joined your group.  We started to play the front of Bethpage.  Look I'm a hack "pro" but it took us a long time to get through hole 1 because of your play.  The 3rd guy in our group left at the end of hole 1 for whatever reason and you made the comment "STINKING QUITTERS!"  and proceeded to tell me "YOU" were going to start the game over.WHAT?!?  I'm not good enough to finish the round with?  You talk a big game but what it comes down to it you're a quitter too.  It causes me no pleasure to say this, but it needed to be said.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 8:56 AM

Are you insane? When 2 people quit on us before we finished hole 1, I explicitly asked you in the Chat box: "May I restart this round? If you object, we may continue." You replied that I may quit and that it didn't matter to you. Now you arrive here in the forum to post this bunch of lies???  

JCarrier:
    it took us a long time to get through hole 1 because of your play.

You gotta be kidding. As far as I recall, I made a par on hole 1, never even approaching the 90 seconds limit per shot. It was the quitter who was about to bogey putt who may have delayed you. If you're pressed for time, JCarrier, don't join multi-player games, plain & simple. Also, I made it abundantly clear in the Chat box that I needed to work & play, and that's why I'd been looking for a 4-some.

By the way, JCarrier, I track statistics of my non-tournament multi-player rounds in my blog, and this was the entry for our failed round I posted to my blog long before you launched this useless forum thread:

Blog entry:
    20090816: 18-hole 4-some launched (Bethpage Black); the first player disconnected after the game host pressed the Tee Off button, reducing the 4-some to a 3-some before it even started. Another player, left with a bogey putt on the first green, disconnected without a word. Faterson, obliged to work & play, which is not practicable in a pair, apologized to the remaining player and, with his consent, disconnected as well.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 9:41 AM

That's funny!! :))))) 

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 10:11 AM

Quote: the first player disconnected after the game host pressed the Tee Off button

80 % of the time if someone invites me ill get invitation canceled on the tee or right after the tee shot. I'll have to invite the players to get a multi going. Problem hasnt been addressed so this could be #1 reason ppl leave. WGT snaufu. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 10:18 AM

Nope, Fuzzygazz, that has nothing to do with this. The failed multi-player games I track are not invitation-based. When I'm hosting a multi-player game, I wait for 4 people to join. I do not press the Tee Off button immediately; I first wait for 2 or 3 seconds, to give everyone the option to cancel their participation. Once the game host presses the Tee Off button, it's too late for anyone to cancel, and the person who does so while the game is already loading should receive one of the proposed penalties for multi-player quitters upon refusal to complete such a round.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 10:22 AM

Round 2? Haha! forgot a few zeros. More like round 2,000,000

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 10:34 AM

I'm with Fuzzy on his point. Very seldom does a foursome get off on the first try Even when it's done by invite with friends, we all understand and try again. I played a twosome, and a threesome last night and both rounds took two attempts to get going. That's the other beast that lives on this site and everyone must learn to deal with it.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 10:54 AM

What you can see very often is that right at the moment when the game host presses the Tee Off button or a fraction of a second afterwards, a player's green button changes to red/orange, indicating that this was a cancellation made intentionally by the player and not a software-induced error.

I agree software errors abound, for some reason, especially when you launch a multi-player game based on invitations; we had to restart our League Tables game with Jollygreen and Gibbo_M several times yesterday before the game loaded for everyone. That is not what this thread is about. When there is a software error, there are prolonged load times during which nothing happens & you just need to wait. In contrast, when a quitter leaves voluntarily, the disconnection notice pops up immediately, or the player's name doesn't even load in the top-left corner scorebox, and there are no excessive load times for that particular player. That's what happened with quitter no. 1 in our game with JCarrier, he ditched us while the game was loading behind the splash screen.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 12:18 PM

That's really funny.. thanks for letting us know, JCarrier.

Something I just thought of while reading this... When I get to play, I generally play MP and I can't remember the last time that I had to finish a game alone, or with just 1 other player?...  What does that say about our Vocal Minority, that even in his sanctimonious blog he states "EVERYONE" disconnects just under half the time?

It means, as JCarrier points out above that perhaps it's not bad golf, bad sportsmanship, or even bad computer programming that keeps the Vocal Minority from finishing a multi-player game.. perhaps it is the company.

Also, Faterson, as much as you wish to deny it... there is a bug with the Tee Off Splash... many times I have to hit CANCEL because the time between the Tee Off button being pushed and the time when the golfer appears is more than a minute.  Most people are not going to stick around and wait for that long.

Because it IS a game and quitting does NOT matter.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 1:02 PM

Snaike:
    quitting does NOT matter.

Snaike's tired boilerplate again, and his customary blank denial of facts. Quitting matters heavily, as proved by the ever increasing number of threads opened (and not by me: I've been trying to halt them) on what lately seems like an hourly basis to complain about the issue.

• PAGES
RSS