Forums

Help › Forums

New Driver obvious 1st upgrade...

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:05 AM (9 replies)
  • JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 12:33 PM

So i know i need a new driver and this 100 credit upgrade looks worthless...so how far do i have to go to get one thats worth the $$$

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 1:04 PM

Buy the R9 driver for $9 if you'd like to have superior distance for your tier, or buy the Rapture driver, also for $9, if you'd like to have long distances paired with high forgiveness, for low-risk play.

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 1:06 PM

Ya it doesnt very much to buy a full set of clubs in this game.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 5:42 PM

If you're gonna spend the $ get the longest distance driver you can...the Rapture isn't very long, and you will get used to the R9. Plus you need distance more than "forgiveness."

Side note: I like your avatar seal...very.....cute =)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 9:16 PM

The Rapture driver isn't very long? It's only 10 yards shorter (negligible!) than the Pro R9 driver, with vastly more forgiveness. I believe I won quite a few Ladder games yesterday thanks to relying on the Rapture driver & irons instead of on the longer-hitting TaylorMade driver & irons, although I could have played with those, too. The TM clubs are high-risk clubs; if I should only buy one of the two drivers or sets, I'd pick Rapture.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 6:28 AM

I believe I have just been insulted...lol

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 9:52 AM

I love the TM drivers.  The TM Pro was sweet, but just got promoted and bought the TM Master driver which is a rocket.  Hit one 324 yds the other day and frequently top 300.  Lack of forgiveness doesn't seem to be a problem as I typically hit 80% of fairways with the Pro and the Master.  Didn't do that well with the Ping drivers.  Fairways were about 70% but have risen steadily since playing with the TM.  I do couple them with the GI-D or GD-I balls whichever they are called (I'm bad about transposing letters, might be dyslexic, LOL).  The balls slow the meter down considerably and make a huge difference if you are playing higher tier clubs.

Side note, the TM irons haven't been nearly as forgiving for me and I solely play Ping irons now.  I'd frequently hit pure shots with the TM irons and have them actually fight off line against the wind on many occasions as much as 15 yds.   Submitted the "bug" to WGT a minimum of 20 times but they don't seem to have that one worked out yet.  TM irons also spec that they have more spin but it was only noticeable on the wedges as the midirons have a much flatter trajectory than the Pings, even though they say med/high trajectory.

If you're serious about competing and getting the most out of your game, by all means upgrade your equipment.  In perspective, you can buy several sets of clubs for what it costs to play 1 round at your local course.  I'm currently recovering from major knee surgery and unable to play real golf until next March so purchases seemed extremely justifiable for me but would have upgraded with every tier change regardless.  Just wish we had a demo option so that we could choose the clubs that suit each of us best without purchasing multiple sets. 

Love the recent upgrades that WGT has implemented even though the sell back optioin only offers 25%.  Better than nothing.  I have held on to most of my clubs, especially wedges but sold the TM PRO irons back as there seemed to be a host of tech errors while playing those clubs.

• JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 8:09 AM

So when is the Pro Shop gonna open a Driving Range to give these sticks a whack?

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 9:16 AM

I doubt that :) ^^^

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 3:05 AM

JeffGooch:
    So when is the Pro Shop gonna open a Driving Range to give these sticks a whack?

Hi Jeff...I think its important to stress that you want the most driver you can buy and still hit the ball reasonably straight...that said;

do you already have a Ping W wedge? if not, for 110 credits you can get 1...the Ping W wedge has the same meter speed as the high end drivers and iron sets....so with a ping W wedge, go to any course in single player practice mode and hit a ball into any long open fairway and do this;

click "flop"...hit the ball with full power...click "flop", hit the ball with full power....do this repeatedly, for many holes....how well are you "dinging" your shots?...if the answer is "not very well, go raptureV2 and be done with it.

the point is simple...you will ssacrifice "forgiveness" when you go high end clubs...if the meter speed also sacrifices your ability to hit straight, your taking a double whammy on your precision which will only lead to frustration.

so for a mere 110 credits, you can see if you can handle the faster meter speed...some will suggest the D ball to slow the meter...it does slow the meter, but not much ...so for 154 total credits (i realize you probably have 150 total), you could experiment with the D ball and the fast meter.

gl

RSS