RIP Gordie Howe............:(

Sun, Jun 12 2016 5:24 PM (22 replies)
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:21 PM

gdog8:

PaulTon:
    I only know one ice hockey player's name,

I'm sure less from the States have even heard of  Kenny Dalglish as well! :)

No worries I'm a football fan as well as many other sports including Cricket and  Rugby as well! :)

Only 1 real football.  IMHO.

• vitoandolini
    175 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:31 PM

Tis is sad day in Detroit. I did not see him play when he was in his prime but I did have the pleasure of seeing him play many times as my parents had season tickets in 68 and again in 70. He was truly a "GENTLEMAN"        R.I.P. Mr. Hockey

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:36 PM

mathia14:

Correct and it isn't the one where they throw an egg shaped ball.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:51 PM

Ah the one with the dots on it & they prance around.. I got ya.  Reminds me of Tiny Time song.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:55 PM

Gordie was the best hockey player of all time. Just above Gretzky in my opinion.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 2:03 PM

mathia14:
    Ah the one with the dots on it & they prance around.. I got ya.

NO!

You must be thinking about this game -

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 2:25 PM

krskfr:

Gordie was the best hockey player of all time. Just above Gretzky in my opinion.

And Gretzky agreed today.... 

“Unfortunately we lost the greatest hockey player ever today, but more importantly the nicest man I have ever met,” Gretzky tweeted. “Sending our thoughts and prayers to the Howe family and to the millions of hockey fans who like me loved Gordie Howe. RIP Mr. Hockey.”

I'm old enough to have watched him play on TV  in the late 50s and through the 60s. Being from Chicago and a Blackhawks fan of course we despised the RedWings and Howe!  LOL  My greatest hockey memory is the Hawks beating the Wings in the 1961 Stanley Cup finals.  A bunch of HOFers in that series....Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Gordie Howe, Alex Delvecchio, in goal were Glenn Hall and Terry Sawchuck.

R.I.P. to an icon of the sport!

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 2:41 PM

andyson:

krskfr:

And Gretzky agreed today.... 

“Unfortunately we lost the greatest hockey player ever today, but more importantly the nicest man I have ever met,” Gretzky tweeted. “Sending our thoughts and prayers to the Howe family and to the millions of hockey fans who like me loved Gordie Howe. RIP Mr. Hockey.”

I'm old enough to have watched him play on TV  in the late 50s and through the 60s. Being from Chicago and a Blackhawks fan of course we despised the RedWings and Howe!  LOL  My greatest hockey memory is the Hawks beating the Wings in the 1961 Stanley Cup finals.  A bunch of HOFers in that series....Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Gordie Howe, Alex Delvecchio, in goal were Glenn Hall and Terry Sawchuck.

R.I.P. to an icon of the sport!

Thank you andy for the walk down memory lane.  Many great players on the Hawks. 

Eddie O.  Tony E. But poor Stan is in bad shape.

tom

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:50 PM

mathia14:
    Eddie O

?  Didn't ring a bell.  I had to look him up.  I was already in Arizona and couldn't follow the Hawks well when he played for the Hawks (No internet yet)

I do remember Tony E., but his nickname I thought is Tony O as in shutout being the goalie.

Sad to hear of Mikita's health problems.  One could argue he's the greatest Blackhawk of all time.  I met him a couple of times and was stunned by the scars on his face.  Back in the days, no helmet, no visor, smelling salts or stitch 'em up and then send 'em back on the ice.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 4:42 PM

mathia14:

gdog8:

PaulTon:
    I only know one ice hockey player's name,

I'm sure less from the States have even heard of  Kenny Dalglish as well! :)

No worries I'm a football fan as well as many other sports including Cricket and  Rugby as well! :)

Agreed...the Canadian Football League (CFL)..:)

For the uninitiated..the CFL has a bigger field and one less down than the American version. They are paid a small fraction of what NFL players are paid (our biggest stars make what an NFL rookie does)..they play simply for the love of the game..the way it should be.

As an aside, Saskatchewan is one of our Prairie provinces...the only professional team of any kind, in the entire province, is a CFL football team (Roughriders)...talk about rabid fans...oi vey.

RSS