Help › Forums

FADE?draw??

Fri, Mar 25 2011 3:25 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:56 AM

chrisironsbones:
    I thought fade was making shot turn left and draw was making shot turn right?

It's the other way around-draw goes left and fade goes right.

chrisironsbones:
    Because halfway in the boxes either direction gives a very big turn on my ball, and isn't that what's meant to happen then?

Yes, missing this way does do what you see but it's not quite the real thing. Draw/fade IRL  happens when you swing a particular way  to put side spin on the ball causing it to curve, usually around obstructions or on holes where there are doglegs. BPB2, 5 and 7 are good examples of where this shot would be used.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:14 AM

For a right handed golfer .. you start the ball to your left and move the ball from left to right. A draw is just the opposite start the ball out right and move it from right to left.      A slice is a Huge mishit from left to right, a hook a huge mishit from right to left.     

There are lots of ways to do this, opening / closing your stance, taking a weak / strong grip, finishing high and out vs. low and across, etc. etc.    

In ancient WGT times when they only had Bali CTTP 9 holes .. there was a way to work the ball by opening / closing your your stance and moving the ball back / forth in your stance.   My opinion is  ... there are a few people out there who are not happy with the way the ball flight is now because when you put spin on it and may miss the line by a touch it doesn't do what is expected.    Once WGT introduces even more variables into the set up ..... people will go NUTS when the ball doesn't go where they think it should.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:43 AM

lvietri:
     Once WGT introduces even more variables into the set up ..... people will go NUTS when the ball doesn't go where they think it should.

QFT. Can you imagine the posts abouts this if and when lie factoring ever shows up? Oiy.

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Mon, Feb 28 2011 7:09 AM

lvietri:

Once WGT introduces even more variables into the set up ..... people will go NUTS when the ball doesn't go where they think it should.

Ohh but it will make for some great reading lol

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 10:06 AM

YankeeJim:

lvietri:

QFT. Can you imagine the posts abouts this if and when lie factoring ever shows up? Oiy.

Yep, but WGT will not be close to a realistic golf sim until one's "lie" has to be considered in making a shot...the current situation is as ridiculous as would be: having greens where the slope and break do not effect the putt , or where tee and approach shots are unaffected by wind!!.

Harve

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:14 AM

I would encourage anyone who does not play deliberate pull or push shots to practice them. They do come in very handy when playing with medium to high crosswinds in holding the ball up. The other scenario is that if you play to ding every shot, there is a fair chance that when you miss the ding, you miss it on the side that the wind is moving in. The slightest bit late on a left to right cross wind can see your ball finish well right of target. Playing for the pull builds in a huge margin for error in this situation.

• djpk
    1 Posts
    Fri, Mar 25 2011 3:25 AM

i've been playing this game for all of 2 days and the most disappointing thing to me is the inability to work (draw/fade) the ball. playing with the basic clubs and having limited power i have figured out that aiming way left, missing the ding late and taking an extra club allows me to hit what amounts to a push cut. same is true for hitting early, pull draw.

it also seems that if you push the dot up on the ball you can get both shapes to run out. like hitting a big left-to-right slider around a bunker with a three iron. land it on the front of the green and get it to release to a back right pin.

if you had the option of altering stance and ball position to create desired ball shape people wouldn't have to use it. you could still opt for the straight ball, and most people probably would.

the reality of shaping your shots is that you create a larger margin for error. kinda like shaping your short putts.

and if you don't like shaping shots, you must hate Bubba Watson, not to mention Tiger, or Faldo, or Palmer, or Seve, or Jack, or Phil, or... oh wait. that's just how the game is played.

btw, love the game. putting at Oakmont is rediculous though.

• PAGES
RSS