rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 27 2016 2:09 PM (7 replies)
  • DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2016 11:47 PM

"Coming Soon (in the next 30-90 days)

• New virtual goods from ... Hogan"

Dear WGT, 

Please consider this an opportunity to take advantage of a gap in current club choices which fits in with the company's advertised flexibility.  Ben Hogan  company website makes a huge deal about offering clubs in single degree increments to allow the golfer to fully customize a set to get the yardage gaps to fit.  With the US Open courses recently added (Pinehurst and Chambers Bay) featuring longer par 4s and the usual Legend tee par 3s on several courses in the 220 to 240 yard range, the option to configure clubsets for each course seems more intriguing than ever before.

Most importantly IMO, a 17 or 18 degree hybrid rated for 235 yards matching the meter and spin of the level 89 and 97 Callaway woods to fill the gap between those longer 3 woods which are rated over 240 yards and the upper level 3 irons rated for 220 - 225 yards seems a natural fit.  And since this would necessitate sacrificing the extra wedge that has been common practice over the last several years, a couple of those TK wedges with matching meter speeds in perhaps 54 and 62 degree lofts rated for 90 and 65 yards respectively would offer yardage increments that seem to fit without duplicating the Cleveland and Taylor Made wedge offerings already available.

To make it even more attractive, pairing the hybrid and wedges with a matching set of irons to given even 15 yard gaps from the hybrid to the Pitching Wedge and selling that as a complete set package would be a very enticing offer.  Matter of fact, I personally guarantee that I would break into the secret stash my wife knows nothing about to have that set within the first 36 hours after it was released.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:03 PM

Your post makes sense but in the virtual golf world how many times in a round would you use a hybrid rated at 235? Once, maybe twice - but I am not convinced many players would take this option up.

I do like the idea of single degree increments on clubs, but again in the virtual world the benefits would be negligible.

A full package does make sense and provided the attributes are respectable, WGT could sell a few sets....but most higher level players will not trade their Cleveland wedges etc.....so again...I am not convinced.

What the game does not really need is better or longer clubs. I agree at the 90+ levels, there is little to look forward to.....and this could suit credit rich players and partly fill the voids for players wanting new toys.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:22 PM

Dang...

Known Harold for a few years now...never heard him talk/type so much.

Alan-yes

Harold-no

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 6:25 PM

In an opening rough draft, I like many of it's aspects. We do have here at wgt  players that couldn't distinguish a hosel from a soleplate along with others(me for one) who have small shop set-ups and do there own re-griping or have tools to alter there own loft and lie requirements.ect. So the proposal looks enticing, I assume to those who are of the tinkering breed.

~ SP ~

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 6:55 PM

SweetiePie:
    We do have here at wgt  players that couldn't distinguish a hosel from a soleplate

Definition of Hosel:

The spot on the driver that most newbie golfers think is the face.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 7:15 PM

MBaggese:

SweetiePie:
    We do have here at wgt  players that couldn't distinguish a hosel from a soleplate

Definition of Hosel:

The spot on the driver that most newbie golfers think is the face.

Well, I love to laugh....mission accomplished. ;-}}

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 4:33 AM

alanti:

Your post makes sense but in the virtual golf world how many times in a round would you use a hybrid rated at 235? Once, maybe twice - but I am not convinced many players would take this option up.

Valid point, but if you are playing from the tips and hitting greens in regulation - how often are you hitting each of those 4 wedges?  

Personally I find it easier to "choke" a wedge than the 3 wood.  Add in the versatility of the punch shot with the top wedges and hitting pretty darn close to the yardage gets fairly easy.  Consider the 120 wedge of the Nike Vapors which plays very nearly as well as a Cleveland - the punch is 103,  and if you had a high precision 90 yard wedge it should punch in the mid 70s for yardage.  So covering the yardages down to a 60 or 65 yard wedge isn't all that difficult and most shots under that lowest wedge are played with that wedge anyway.  

Just another way of looking at it, your mileage may vary....

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 2:09 PM

No I think WGT needs to add an option for 250k credits Smylie, Rickie, Jordan and Justin will invite me to Bakers Bay next year. 

Please add that. 

Kidding aside, I don't think too many people want more hybrids. 

RSS