Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT April event: Pebble Beach

Thu, Aug 4 2016 9:13 AM (91 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2016 12:17 PM

mmyers0:
    I believe I have the only sub-70 second round so far.

Outstanding mm. Congrats on a great round!

And congrats to Mags for once again leading the way. Can anyone catch him and prevent his 3rd win in a row?

-----------------------

Apologies for my absence in this thread since the beginning. I've had a really busy couple of weeks, barely fitting in any rounds, but also struggling with poor connections, and awful page loading.

I've finally managed to catch up a little, and create the Stats Sheet for this event, which I've populated through almost everyone's first round. I still have to post my own sorry story for a R1 77 :(

I hope to get up to date later today/tomorrow with the R2 submissions.

-----------------------------------

Some answers/feedback to posts:

Prize Offers:

fmagnets:
    I'll sponsor a sleeve for the most birdies or better category again.

Wonderful! Thanks Mags. Very generous once again.

alcaucin:
    Whack me in for 'longest putt' C

Very kind of you, Andy. Thank you so much!

razza31:
    Can I sponsor a prize just for rd2? It'd require an extra screenshot though as I'm looking for the shortest birdie putt on #14.

Sorry, Razza, I fear I'm responding to this sponsor offer too late, as I don't know if anyone has since provided screenshots. If you want to hold off on this prize till a future event, that would be fine, or just offer it to whoever comes up with the goods! Are you saying someone needs to make birdie as well, or just have the shortest birdie chance?

-------------------------------------
    Screenshots/Miscellaneous:

CycloneBoom:
    On the whole, it was fun in a tactical sense. Sometimes you have to play conservatively, take bogey at worst and move on. But yeah, that's much easier said than done. ;)

Absolutely right CB. That's what the 'fancy club' game is missing, IMO. But in TIO, you get an extra tactical dimension to the game, and the considerable uncertainty of whether you can pull off an ambitious shot given the club characteristics.

HIOSoon:
    CycloneBoom:
    P.S. Just wondering, is there any reason for not including proof of the starter irons used?

U avto have start irons in,some probs with other clubs in wgt programe.

CycloneBoom:
    Ah right, so if custom irons were used, does that mean it wouldn't let anyone start their round? (Not that I'd want to test it or anything).

As explained on the opening page (near the bottom) the only clubs that the Restricted-Club programming doesn't work for are the 4 in question: 3W, 3H, SW, LW, so that's all I ask to see in the screenshots.

Last year, Shoe kindly made a testing event using the same set-up, and myself and several volunteers established what could and couldn't work. Based on that testing, the answer is yes, it wouldn't let you start your round with the wrong irons.

WigerToods2010:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I posted the video more to do with checking if I'd done things correct/acceptable.

Yes, as Mags replied, all is good (and as he said, showing stats and card prior to holing out is redundant, as I need to see final end-of-round data anyway for the stats categories)

Indianator:
    one take only print screen shot this month not save in folder :( try R2 or back snip again:)

Hi Raoul (Indianator), the one screen shot you have shown does the job. It's a hover and it shows all the clubs we need to see. If you get the hover, and have 3W or 3H selected, with the other in the avatar's hand, there's no need for more.

That was an impressive run of 1-putt saves to start the back 9, 5 in a row, and you total of 7 for R1 was the best in the field.

roidrage03:
    -2 with 3 birdies through 7, but 8-over the rest of the way for a 78.

Hi Roid,

Can you please upload your video next time to a hosting site where it can be viewed? Or does your photobucket offer a viewing link via their site? I don't want to have to download an MP4 to my own computer to see club proof and stats. Thanks!

JMHacker:
    Here's to hoping I've got all the necessary screen shots.

Far more than needed, JM. I have a slow internet connection at times, so it really helps to just provide only the shots needed (3W, 3H, SW, LW). There's no need to show PW or Putter… and if you do have a way to stitch them all together that really helps. Also, making your links real links is a help too. Thanks!

Finally, please note the Tourney ends tonight at midnight WGT time.

Good luck to anyone remaining to play R2.

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2016 7:37 PM

Played well again and made a couple putts. Concentrating on my round and completely forgot about the club screen shots until my birdie putt went in on 18.

• JMHacker
    303 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2016 9:15 PM

Rd Score 79, for total of 154.

But of a rougher round all around, Hit some strong headwind in the wrong spots and am still searching for two balls on #6.  But, nonetheless, always a good challenge and enjoyable:

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 2:38 PM

@ColumbusStorm - oh, what a shame Russ! You played so well as well. That's not the first time you've forgotten the screenshots. Perhaps you need the large piece of paper and a sharpie note as a reminder - I have one next to my screen for TIO events!

JM: perhaps you could resize your pics to 450px wide (see opening page video tips on posting images in forums). And, please note, you only need to show the 3W, 3H, SW, LW in future as club proof.

----------------------------------

Corwyn:
    I still have to post my own sorry story for a R1 77 :(

Here's the sad tale of my first round... a disappointing 77 (+5) with some sloppy play, some tough winds against on the worst holes and two awful meter jumps that cost 3 shots. But no complaints: I had some bad putting as well and poor up-and-downs.

#1 28@430 dingD short >153, tried to run 2nd on but bounced too far right from short of green, needed to carry nice pitch to 0yds, 1.2ft PAR

#2  21@1045 good D >232 pulled 2nd and got lucky to bounce through to fairway, but might have found green with better strike, pretty good flop to 2yds below, 9yds of roll out! and dinged 6ft putt  for BIRDIE

#3 29@6! dingedD and just made it!, v hard downhill and sidehill lie and couldn't reach green even with a ding, another bad sidehiller and full LW came up 6yds short, dinged the 17ft putt but didn't take expected break  BOGEY

#4 23@230 goodD >92 dinged 2nd safely in middle of green, wrong wind to take on flag too high with 14ft curler try  PAR

#5  23@445 good contact on t shot but a little short rolled forward to 2yds and holed the 5.6ft curler right edge woo hoo!  BIRDIE

#6  23@12 dingD 269 >205 good distance with 190fbs full pwr 2nd but slight push, lucky to run round fringe onto green 5yds long, and misread eagle putt from 18ft, darn!  0.4ft BIRDIE

#7 22@9 horrible meter skip for OB into ocean, OMG! "Time to Reload!", 3rd shot off t dinged but 4yds long and holed 11ft putt  for BOGEY

#8 20@130 good 3W for position >178 slight pull on 2nd but still went way left into rough arrgh, superb tricky pitch to 0yd from 40-50 just landing past fringe, 1.4ft PAR

#9  25@6 192 good D >269 dinged 3W >104 big side and up, and 3rd shot only just crept onto green, wow!, pushed 24ft putt nowhere near  BOGEY

#10  19@6 goodD but >219 couldn't reach so played 3H layup to 64 but ugly downhill sidehill and played too safely left, on but 9yds away, good pace on 26ft putt but not enough break  BOGEY

#11  20@115 daring D to far left side, not too bad 2nd shot but came up a little short, hoping to roll round to right, but overborrowed 15ft curler  PAR

#12 21@4 dinged 3H pin-hi but not enough for wind 7yd right, too hard on 20ft attempt, 3.4ft save PAR

#13 23@6 dingD 192, can't reach green, aargh! had to layup >66 too hard with PW 3rd and 3yds long, and underborrowed 8ft downhill curler  BOGEY

#14 28@6 good D 181 >370 good 3W still leaves 203, 3rd shot still 36yd short, nice ding on 4th landed right by hole but rolled on and infuriatingly low on 8ft save attempt  BOGEY

#15 20@1045 >86 way hard on 2nd and rolled through to rough, and short with flop!  but managed to hole 4.6ft huge curler  PAR

#16 26@9 dinged3W to leave 149, came up just short in rough, but very poor flop came up way short 2yds, and "story of the round" 7.4ft putt rests on the lip  BOGEY

#17  29@1215 no shot with this wind, bunkered short left, and another massive meter jump for a no-distance shot!, and 3rd shot turned out to be perfect to 0yd  BOGEY

#18 28@115 D256>244 3H 2nd to leave 68 and 3rd to 2yds pin-hi right, late click on putt from 5.6ft and missed birdie chance doh!  ugh! just a PAR

---------------------

I'll add my R2 report tonight when I can get back online.

Please note deadline of midnight WGT time Wed 27 April to submit any outstanding cards/screenshots (33.5hrs from time of this post).

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Apr 26 2016 11:35 PM

Corwyn:
    I'll add my R2 report tonight when I can get back online.

A better R2 for me (as it seemed for most players, despite the longer yardage), but still suffered from two bad meter skips and some poor shot choices. Failed to make the birdies when they were available on the front 9, but did fairly well hanging in on the back, and was amazed to play #14 (without doubt the hardest hole on the course) to starter club perfection for a stunning birdie!

A little ironic, I think, that if Razza's prize suggestion for closest birdie putt on #14 stands, I might be the front-runner... although 37ft doesn't seem very close. Perhaps this is the only birdie on #14 in the field?

37ft birdie putt on #14

---------------------

#1 18@930 dingD >157 very nice 3i to 1yd long left of pin, but missed the 4ft downhill slider aarghh!  PAR

#2 14@6 good D >288 ding3W 187 >102 horrible meter stutter and bad push to middle of green short on easy 9i 3rd aarghh  and, angry at the meter skip, hit terrible push on 21ft putt ugh  PAR

#3 19@7 (awful wind) dingD but wind meant couldn't reach fairway and found 40-50 even aiming to right, punched 3H down to >51 but between clubs for 3rd, put choked SW 4yds past  and misread 13ft putt  BOGEY

#4 12@430 (bad wind) goodD >117 7i to middle of green, slightly late on 15ft putt and just missed high aaarghh  PAR

#5 17@1045 (another bad wind) fractional pull and went way left to miss green, decent flop to 2yds from nasty lie, and just short of power/break on 6ft save attempt  BOGEY

#6 18@115 (good wind!) dingD 259 >233, 2nd only just got to top level and chased on >34, super 3rd choked LW to 1yd was right on line to go in, 2ft BIRDIE

#7 12@2 between clubs, didn't think 90ns was going to get there so tried choked 110fbs and pushed it short right and at last made a decent putt curling 17ft effort  BIRDIE

#8 13@230 goodD >185 seemed like decent 3i but didn't even reach green and left pitch 3yds short, ugh!  but good 9ft save phew!  PAR

#9 12@430 dingD 218 >263 slight push 2nd went into right rough 30-40 couldn't go for pin, so played for below hole and maddeningly left 32ft putt inches short  BOGEY

#10 19@445 dingD 200 >243 ding 3W left 65 pulled it and 5yds short left and just low with 16ft par attempt  BOGEY

#11 15@630 dingD 198 >183 couldn't reach green but risked going over bunker to leave shorter 3rd but made mistake playing flop and came up miles short! and sunk good 10ft uphiller PAR

#12 15@2 dinged 3i tracking but came up short into ugly rough lie, nicely judged pitch for distance to 2yds and sunk 4.5ft putt for PAR

#13 15@7 good D into wind but still 197 away won't be able to reach (again!) layup rolled into rough >51 and very nicely judged 3rd from big sidehill lie, 3.4ft save PAR

#14 16@130 (good wind) dingD 240 >336 good 3W >139, hit 4i to get onto back right of green and buried the 37ft putt dead center, woo hoo!  BIRDIE

#15 16@12 drive went super close to bunker 266 > 116 2nd bounced on 6yds below, downhill lie so wasn't going to be able to stop it, dinged 18ft uphiller but didn't allow enough for initial break and didn't come back  PAR

#16 18@445 choked down D slightly to leave 181 but still downhill lie! went all out with 3H but came up just short on slight pull, poor flop 2yds short, and missed the 5ft curler aarghh! BOGEY

#17 13@3 went all out with D and bounced out of rough left instead of on to green but not a bad result all things considered, tried pitch to hole it, hah!, and went 2yds past and massive meter skip on 6ft par effort BOGEY

#18 14@130 dingD 233 >278 ding3W >81 and good PW to 2yds left of pin and finished with 6ft putt dinged for BIRDIE 

---------------------

Reminder: please post any remaining card/stat/club proof submissions by midnight tomorrow night, Wed April 27. Thanks!

And congratulations to fmagnets on another extremely impressive Tough-It-Out win, a hat-trick now with this Pebble Beach victory to go with December's win at Cabo, and January's win at Whistler. Bravo, Mags!

--------------------------------

Edit 12:15am: meant to reply to this earlier but forgot (though I had noted it in the stats spreadsheet). 

fmagnets:
    If this is not good enough, then Corwyn can let me know and I'll add the times during the video that the various clubs in question make an appearance.

Thanks for the offer Mags. Much appreciated.

Actually it was very easy to find in your recordning the use of the four clubs that I needed to see, especially as I knew after playing the round where you were most likely to have used them!

I put a note of times where they were each used in the spreadsheet but I'm copying them here for full transparency: fmagnets - Clubs OK (video proof) R1 | Clubs OK (video proof seeing key clubs used throughout round: 3W (11:50); 3H (5:10); SW (12:25); LW (32:55)) R2

-----------------------

FYI: I believe Stats Spreadsheet is now fully up-to-date. Please check for accuracy and/or any omissions. Thanks.

As per usual, I've put front-runners in each category highlighted in yellow, with next placed players highlighted in light blue.

• AdamK70
    433 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 7:18 AM

Round 2 details for me.   Still can't get the hang of the 14th.   Thanks again for all your time in running this event.

Adam

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 8:18 AM

Corwyn:

FYI: I believe Stats Spreadsheet is now fully up-to-date. Please check for accuracy and/or any omissions. Thanks.

As per usual, I've put front-runners in each category highlighted in yellow, with next placed players highlighted in light blue.

It doesn't make a difference this time since there is no prize for GIR, but I thought I should point out that fmag's 52.5% and my 53% are in fact an identical 19/36 (52.77...%). Perhaps in future spreadsheets it would be better to simply record the GIR total instead of the percentages to avoid rounding issues.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 8:21 AM

Lets see if we can help out here to make it easier on Corwyn.
    JMHatcher's photos

Front 9:

Back 9:

Driving Stats:

Approach Stats:

Putting Stats:

Fairway:

Putting:

Just a little something to help out the cause.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 6:07 PM

Thanks Shiner! Much appreciated.

mmyers0:
    It doesn't make a difference this time since there is no prize for GIR, but I thought I should point out that fmag's 52.5% and my 53% are in fact an identical 19/36 (52.77...%). Perhaps in future spreadsheets it would be better to simply record the GIR total instead of the percentages to avoid rounding issues.

Hi mm,

Actually, there is a prize for GIR - it's my regularly sponsored one.

ColumbusStorm would have been the likely winner with 55.5%, but missed the club proof for R2, I'm afraid.

You are, of course, absolutely right that you and Mags have the same true GIR total and the different totals is just a matter of rounding differences, but the reason I highlighted your result in Yellow (as the leader) and his in Light Blue (as the next in line) is that you nudge him on the tiebreak of closest to the pin ave. distance with your 15.4ft compared to his 18.5.

As for the spreadsheet, I really should record them as a gross total out of 36. It would make it easier to total things up across a whole Tour as well. Good suggestion!

Thanks,

Corwyn

P.S. Any more cards/stats/screenshot submissions, please have them posted by midnight tonight!

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Fri, Apr 29 2016 9:37 AM

Corwyn:
    Sorry, Razza, I fear I'm responding to this sponsor offer too late, as I don't know if anyone has since provided screenshots. If you want to hold off on this prize till a future event, that would be fine, or just offer it to whoever comes up with the goods! Are you saying someone needs to make birdie as well, or just have the shortest birdie chance?

Sorry, haven't been online last few days. I'd have to hold off on this prize as it wasn't published before rd2.

As for the conditions itself, you just needed to have the shortest birdie putt chance and not necessarily make the birdie. So ur 37ft birdie *may not* have been the front runner if this prize was in play ;)

RSS