Help › Forums

Which putter to get

Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:10 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2016 10:36 AM

hawgy:

the level 92 ghost is my baby with 15-25 increments. she's ah straight shooter wait for it if. you like the spider you got now it only gets better.

I have to agree. It is 4 levels away but it is well worth the wait. Until you can get the level 97 Versa you can't beat the Level 92 Ghost spider. And as you already know the increments there wont be much of a learning curve. It will just be more accurate than the Ghost Spider you have now.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2016 11:34 AM

SRuddy1:

I am at level 88 and have been using the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Putter (L35+) for a while. I was thinking of getting either the NIKE Method 001 Putter (L77+) or the MAX Control Putter (L80+). Is either one worth the upgrade? Thanks in advance

Depending on the way you aim. If you are a ding putter and you're moving the marker to aim your putts, you should upgrade, I'd go for the Nike. But if you aim by missing the ding on each side, the Nike's crap, cause it's forgiveness level is too high. You could try the L92 Ghost, although, from my perspective, the added precision is not worth playing with a faster meter.

I aim by missing the ding and I firmly believe, that your current putter is best price/performance stick amongst the putters, I've been using it since forever and will probably never change it. I tried every other putter in free rentals, but always stayed with the one I have. I know, it takes time to learn a new putter, but why change something that works. I'm not the world's greatest putter, but I think I'm decent enough to give advice ;-)

• ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2016 1:31 PM

Some very good advice provided here by experienced players.

Putter upgrades have been the subject of many posts in the forum. IMHO, unlike most other clubs (or even the balls), the putter boils down to what you are personally comfortable with...price and specs are a guide, but comfort and effectiveness are the keys. Many excellent players still use very cheap putters (Borigard putts lights out and she uses the $4 spider) and many others still use the free starter putter, and they also bomb in from everywhere. The Rossa putter also remains a popular choice (only $7)

I had the level 35 spider and found it better for me, than any of the higher level spiders. I tried the nikes and the max putters...couldn't adjust to either brand...so, over time, I settled for the lvl 70 versa...it has the slowest meter and its other specs are decent. I will probably stick with this one until the end.

I am not a great putter, because I don't read green speeds or breaks very well...but no putter will help you with this.

good luck.

ct

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:10 PM

Once you go with a certain model, it's best to stick with it, unless you want to deal with the curve of learning increments, break, etc. all over again.

• PAGES
RSS