Help › Forums

G10 vs Raptures... Opinion?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:22 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2009 2:28 PM

Ok, it's time.  I have waited long enough for the bugs to shake out of the new sets and am prying the cobwebs from my coinpurse to upgrade my set.

Question is:  G10 set or V2 Raptures?  I see by Niv's (absolutely fantastic bit o' work) comparison chart that the 2 sets are not that far apart.  G10 is a bit more accurate, but less forgiving.  Everything else being the same.

So, your opinions please on the two sets?  Or something else I need to consider.

(just for clarification, the driver will be the R9 TP 9.5.. this comparison is for 3W - wedges.)

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2009 3:43 PM

I'd suggest just updating your driver and putter for now. I've shot 60 or under on Bethpage with the Tour Starters, the Raptures, and the G10 pros using the R9 TP 9.5 driver.  They are all capable clubs.  The G10's will miss wildly if you're off the mark by a bit, but the "beast" is considerably less if you're on the mark.  The Raptures and the Tour Starrters have the same forgiveness, but the Raptures have a slower meter.  If you use the GI-D balls in conjunction with the Raptures, its almost too slow. 

There's alot more to consider than I'm going to write here but in my opinion, baby steps in updating are the way to go when you don't have alot of time or energy to play alot.  The biggest thing to consider is if you've really maxed-out the potential of the clubs you are currently using.  If the answer is No, then stick with them, and  give yourself some longer drives and more accurate putts.  That in itself should shave off a few strokes from your game.

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2009 5:37 PM

Just my opinion but I have all the iron sets available a little overkill but I am a club ho.  I may agree to an extent with tibbets but I have found the g10 pro to be more forgiving the the tour burners and just as forgiving as the raptures.  The mishits have to be quite a miss to end up that far offline. 

On Tibbets shooting 60 or under I honestly believe if rakes and shovels or were are club choice he would putting a beating on most.  I would definitely upgrade as it has greatly improved my own game with a little practice.

• arme
    31 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2009 8:02 PM

I love mu Rapture diver but I hate my ping putter, you have to hit to hard to my a 10+ putt.  Anybody got the same problem.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 10:39 AM

club ho:
    I may agree to an extent with tibbets but I have found the g10 pro to be more forgiving the the tour burners and just as forgiving as the raptures...

this is interesting given the Pro Shop specs.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 1:38 PM

I like my Raptures, sure are pretty too =) I had some G10's but couldn't handle the fast swing meter. Only problem with the Rapture is, if you DO manage to mis-hit, which is rare cuz it's so slow, you will definately know it. Then again we all know what can, or cannot happen, even on a perfect hit. =/ Good luck Snaike, lotsa choices out there, hope you find something satisfactory.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 1:44 PM

Took tibs advice..  Driver (R9 TP Pro) and Putter (Spider) for now...  Love the Spider, not too sure about the driver, yet.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 2:50 PM

Thunder...

being that you've used both the tour burner and the G10 pro irons a good bit... can you give me a comparison?  what did you like and dis-like?  why did you eventually end up using the G10 pro?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 4:19 PM

Snaike:
    Took tibs advice.. Driver (R9 TP Pro) and Putter (Spider) for now... Love the Spider, not too sure about the driver, yet.

The R9 TP Pro driver isn't a "safe" choice by any means. Misfire it on one hole and your entire round may be ruined. The far safer choice is the Rapture driver. It also costs $9, and while it offers 10 yds less average distance (245 yds), its forgiveness is vast compared to the R9 TP. I've tested both of these in tournament play and I consistently achieve better scores with the Rapture driver. (Naturally, I got my record drive of 295 yds using the R9 driver, so it has its bonuses, too. I like swapping the 2 drivers between rounds when I'm not in a tournament. Brings more variety to the game.)

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Wed, Aug 5 2009 7:39 PM

I have found that the iron distances with the G10 Pro Irons work well in covering the yardages on the longer in.  They seem to stop quicker then the Tour Burner Irons which is different than what the stats in the proshop say.  The precision is noticeable from the other irons available when hit on the dot yardage and accuracy is great.  I actually pay ping through the whole bag because of the precision and when combined with the G!-D ball the meter is not that fast that it is unbearable.  Not to mention the shorter the club the greater the forgiveness through every bag.

Sidenote:  I hated the original ping G10 and never played them but the new upgrade is much better.

• PAGES
RSS