Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT November event: Olympic

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 10 2015 4:08 PM (91 replies)
  • mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 1:19 PM

70 and clubhouse lead for me, though I'm certain it will be surpassed.

#1: Tailwind, tried to clear the rough patch, failed, nearly made birdie anyway (why didn't I pull the flag? I always pull the flag.).

#2: Fairway, green about 60 feet below, pulled the putt but holed the six-foot sidehill par.

#3: Center green, two putts for par.

#4: Fairway, one of my better approaches to 21 feet below the hole, but two putts for par.

#5: Fairway, hard bounce to 60 feet past the hole, left 7.5 feet, missed the par.

#6: Fairway, approach falls back off the front, pitch comes up just short on a great line. Par.

#7: 3 wood layup, then runup punch approach (thanks to Corwyn for the idea) leaves less than 7 feet and an easy birdie.

#8: 15 feet short, looked straight but wasn't.

#9: 15 feet left, played just too much break.

#10: Fairway, short of green, flop to 6 feet, par.

#11: Fairway, short of green, flop to 8 feet, par.

#12: Fairway, short of green AGAIN???, flop to 12 feet, par again.

#13: Pretty good tee shot given the tailwind to 35 feet for birdie; slides just below, par.

#14: Safely to 25 feet past the hole, can't make the birdie.

#15: Headwind, but somehow I'm 40 feet long. No matter!

#16: Headwind, try to reach the green with 3H on third shot, leave it in the bunker short right, play a little too conservative and leave 12 feet, miss putt to give the stroke right back.

#17: Fairway, fairway, wedge to 20 feet, miss putt.

#18, Fairway, 9i to 19 feet above the hole, putt for 69 is never close. But that's a good thing because I forgot to take the bag shot on the first putt.

Proof:

Scorecard and stats for curiosity's sake only, since I didn't post first round stats.

• toothsayer
    11 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 2:44 PM

Here is a link to my 2nd round. Thanks for hosting, lots of fun.

http://postimg.org/gallery/142nx99kq/

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 8:02 PM

Nice score, mm!

mmyers0:
    Scorecard and stats for curiosity's sake only, since I didn't post first round stats

FYI: It's a pity about the R1 card and stats, as you'd probably be in the running for several categories. Nevertheless, you did post R1 club proof, so that means you're validated for a top 5 leaderboard sleeve if your placing holds.

mmyers0:
    #7: 3 wood layup, then runup punch approach (thanks to Corwyn for the idea)

Hmmm... maybe I shouldn't give away my secrets...

Glad to see someone reads the round reports though, lol!

• RBreedlove5
    12 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2015 9:04 PM

First round

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 9:00 AM

Hmm carried over my terrible play with my regular clubs to starters..

#1: 3rd shot pushed slightly right.. Left 10 ft hole high Missding late for R-L putt but started straight and missed on low side.Bogey

#2: Long with approach.Easy up and down for par

#3: Short down the middle of green.2 putt par

#4: Approach similar to round 1 kicked long and went over the green this time. Couldn't get up and down .Bogey

#5: Almost perfect approach got caught up at front edge.. Chipped to 5 ft.. Missed putt carelessly. Bogey

#6: Approach short. Pitched to 5ft. Saved for par.

#7: Missed the fairway(lol).. Used the upslope to kill the approach.Made the 3.7ft putt for birdie

#8 : Tee shot to 12ft.. Missed putt low.Par

#9: Approach went bit long. Up and down for par

#10: Safe shot to middle of green.2 putt par

#11:Short on approach. Missed 5 ft for par 

#12: Approach to 8 ft. Missed putt again.Bogey

#13:Middle of green . 2 putt par

#14: Short of green in 2..  Top spin pitch to 8 ft. Makes par save

#15: Long over the flag. Left 45ft putt right at the cup 4' short

#16: Over the green in 3. Couldnt get up and down from DH lie

#17: Went right over the flag. Made 11 ft steep dh R-L putt .Birdie

#18: Long over the flag. Lipped out 20ft DH putt .Par

Thanks Corwyn for hosting both the events. And probably another win!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2015 5:08 PM

Oh razza... please tell me you have another picture from one of the last 4 holes.... :(

From the opening page instructions:

Corwyn:
    Again, please do your Greenshot on the last hole (to provide best match with the scorecard). I will accept a Greenshot (in the format required) on any of the last 4 holes. Final hole is best, but for the forgetful, any of the last 4 holes is OK]

• DaniUnchained
    44 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2015 2:07 AM

Holed a 45ft put from the fringe, so bad it doesn't count on the stats :(

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:07 PM

Well, I should be delighted with a 67 ... which is a great score in any Tough-It-Out event ... but I'm kicking myself for a terrible finish. 

I had two 3-putts on the closing holes (#15 where I left a return 6 footer on the lip, and #17 where I missed birdie from 5ft above the hole and then pulled the return 6 footer back uphill, doh!). I'd also pulled a 7 foot birdie putt on #11 and had a bad misread on #9, so this 67 could have been astonishingly good, i.e. a 62-63, an unheard-of score for uneven starters even from the Easy tees.

Granted, I'd had a fair bit of luck as the description below will show, but you need that for a sub-par round in TIO.

Tale of the tape is here (wind speed and direction indicated after each hole number) ...

#1 9@130 good D >270 > 87 dinged 3rd but a little too much on it, 3yds past, nice ding on 10ft par save PAR

#2  14@1030 good D >135 but bad late click with 7i and into rough short right, but got a lucky break when I sunk an amazing LW fbs 73% pearler! woo hoo! BIRDIE

#3 14@1215 dinged a 180fbs 97% but came up miles short 11yds!, great speed on 34ft putt over ridge to 1.8ft PAR

#4 9@445 slight push on D went a lot further than expected and landed in rough 30-40 2nd with 3W only went 120 leaving 51 for 3rd, dinged SW but a little right with lie, 2yds long right, and sunk very good 7ft slow curler on a ding, phew!  PAR

#5  12@130 goodD >177, had a great distance with 2nd but just too far left on aim with dinged 3H and caught rough instead of bouncing on excellent distance on pitch but just too high  2ft save PAR

#6  8@6 goodD into wind, >213 layup with 2nd to try and leave full LW, >41, good full LW to 1yd, and solid dinged 4ft uphill to save PAR

#7 9@6 hit 3W off tee to leave best hope of yardage for punch >80 ended up with big sidehill! hit good shot with 98punch full ts but tiny bit early cost pace and it just rolled back off ridge, dinged 150scale lag but still a bit short 4.6ft, solid ding on putt to save PAR

#8 11@245 slight push on 170fbs 97% came up 3yds short right, and made nice 8.6ft curler right edge woo hoo!  BIRDIE

#9 9@1030 goodD >150 got lucky with late click 5iron which rolled up to top of green and settled pin-high 4yds below, misread on 11ft try and a little short of power anyway poor effort, just a PAR 

#10  8@845 good D >159 landed hot with 160 1/3bs attempt and through back, lost control of pitch which was too hard anyway 2yds long but made curling 5.7ft save PAR

#11  11@115 good D >150 nice bounce-on 5iron to 2yds right of pin, but pulled the 7ft putt fractionally and that was enough to miss, darn! PAR

#12 12@930 goodD >142 and hit another great approach, bouncing on front of green and rolling to 1yd, and sunk 4.4ft putt  BIRDIE

#13 11@430 nice wind, and got lucky with late click that took it closer to pin than would have risked, 9.5ft away and sunk tricky big curler woo hoo! BIRDIE

#14 12@6 goodD >171 excellent bounce-on shot from tricky sidehill lie, needed big 3H and good contact (this, from big sidehill with tree branches threatening left and bunker beckoning right, is one of the scariest shots on WGT, IMO!). 19ft long left OMG, sunk the 19.5ft putt, despite slight late click, but had aimed safely left in case woo hoo!  BIRDIE

At this point, I'm at the dizzy heights of -5, with a birdie hole to come on #17 ... but then it falls apart, lol!

#15 11@10, dinged 110 9i but just wasn't enough club, bounced off front fringe downslope, another yard or two might have been great, dinged long-range effort from 41ft but ran 6ft past, dinged return 6ft putt but somehow stopped on lip, aaarghhh! must have been some uphill in it, and I hadn't checked, idiotic error, dumb, dumb BOGEY

#16 9@715 good D >358 good 2nd 3W >172 late click on 3H but got lucky to find the channel to bounce on to green, dinged 19ft birdie try but allowed just too much break as it straightened at end. PAR

#17  14@130 goodD >234 good 2nd to hold fairway to right >52 decent contact on SW 3rd but long 2yds just a misjudgment, going at it instead of planning to be below, trusted note in notebook that said not much break, oh boy was that wrong! very bad miss from 5ft long not even close and rolled 6ft by, and pulled 6ft return putt, OMG!  BOGEY

#18 12@445 >96 from big sidehill on left-side, and hit gruesome pull on 2nd to miss green left, ugghhh! (was lucky not to find bunker), and short with the pitch but rescued things by sinking the 4.4ft par save PAR

• OleFernando
    162 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 4:14 AM

• OleFernando
    162 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 4:23 AM

Corwyn:

FYI: Stats sheet is now set up and up-to-date for Olympic tourney.

Please check for errors/omissions. Thanks!

R1 putt stats N/A they on 1st stat post page #4

TY

RSS