Forums

Help › Forums

Champions listed by WGT Level

Mon, Sep 13 2021 10:26 PM (97 replies)
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Nov 10 2017 2:03 PM

I'm just thinking ~2500 champion's and that's still not enough to open Tour Champion.

I can't understand why....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 10 2017 2:13 PM

kavvz:

I'm just thinking ~2500 champion's and that's still not enough to open Tour Champion.

You may be looking at it wrong. It was by invitation from the start and that would lead you to believe it required something extra, beyond the numbers, and that something would be at the whim of WGT. Maybe career earnings or tournament wins, IDK.

Personally, I would lose instant respect for that level if it were to be based on the carded  numbers. It's too easy to fake those. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Nov 10 2017 3:52 PM

YankeeJim:
    Personally, I would lose instant respect for that level if it were to be based on the carded  numbers. It's too easy to fake those. 

For that reason I lost respect for pretty much all tiers after the introduction of red tees being included in averages,

When I made legend, it was an achievement of sorts - without red tees and the equipment was inferior to current clubs.

Maybe tiers are an incentive for some, so they grind away to get to the next tier (thus ball sales for WGT)....for me, just a meaningless title these days.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Nov 10 2017 5:06 PM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:

You may be looking at it wrong. It was by invitation from the start and that would lead you to believe it required something extra, beyond the numbers, and that something would be at the whim of WGT. Maybe career earnings or tournament wins, IDK.

By invitation seems kind of ridiculous.  Who in their right mind would accept such a thing in order to play tournaments by him/her self.  I don't see why they don't take the top 200 maybe even more all time credit earners and move them to TC.  I'd think they've earned it.  That would be the only way they could ever open up the tier. 

Think of it this way.  Do players on the Web.com tour play in the same tournaments as those on the PGA Tour.

Make it mean something to be there not tied to ridiculous average or # of rounds played.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Nov 10 2017 7:24 PM

They created a ball burning badge chase for champ only.  

Anything else said was a half-hearted door open to open to something potentially.  Maybe to also serve as a statement to give the impression of integrity, if it was even thought through that far.

Current ethos is no interest unless it generates a fast buck later the same day from the broadest audience.  Good to bang ideas around but unless it's fast income with no more effort than new firework FX, then the new tier is coming as soon as the CC bank idea.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 11 2017 7:23 AM

kavvz:
    By invitation seems kind of ridiculous.

Not if you view it in terms of something like a Hall of Fame. Rock and Roll, NFL, MLB, etc. 

kavvz:
    I don't see why they don't take the top 200 maybe even more all time credit earners and move them to TC.

To what end? Is this headed to weeding out the best players so the not so best can win once in a while? 

kavvz:
    Make it mean something to be there not tied to ridiculous average or # of rounds played.

We're on the same page here.  ;-)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, Nov 11 2017 2:49 PM

YankeeJim:

Not if you view it in terms of something like a Hall of Fame. Rock and Roll, NFL, MLB, etc. 

But, they can't add a few here and a few there.  It's gotta be a whole bunch otherwise the tourney's they'd play won't have anyone in them.  It just occurred to me that a new high tier tourney's would need to be funded, perhaps that's the reason they don't want to.  Wouldn't be fair to reduce purse from other tiers for the new tier either.

YankeeJim:

To what end? Is this headed to weeding out the best players so the not so best can win once in a while? 

Of course it is.  It's already happening with every other tier.  Pro's don't play against Masters and Masters don't play against Legends.  As people get better they move up -- no different with TC.  Why should a Legend or Tour Legend who got to Champion on nothing more than saturation and # of rounds played now suddenly play against fmags and the like? 

YankeeJIm:

We're on the same page here.  ;-)

Sweet!  :) .  We agree that # of rounds and average mean nothing.  What else is there if not career earnings?  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 11 2017 8:30 PM

kavvz:
    We agree that # of rounds and average mean nothing.  What else is there if not career earnings?  

The one thing that makes a hall of fame player a hall of famer-recognition of achievements. Hence, by invite only.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Nov 12 2017 6:13 AM

If it just becomes a title and not a place where the best can play against the best, why bother.  A logical follow up question to that line of thought is why are their tiers at all.

I've gotten better the more I've played, why don't I just play against Amateurs and Tour Pros.  The same logic applies to the elite Champion players

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 13 2017 7:51 AM

kavvz:
    If it just becomes a title and not a place where the best can play against the best, why bother.

To recognize the best, Hall of Fame style. Having it dubbed by invite only allows for weeding out of  the imposters and not making it about the score.

RSS