Forums

Help › Forums

Us Open 2015 at Chambers Bay

Mon, Jun 22 2015 11:27 PM (165 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 8:35 AM

I see they switched #1 from a Par 4 to Par 5 and switched #18 from Par 5 to Par 4 for the 2nd round.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 9:05 AM

andyson:

I see they switched #1 from a Par 4 to Par 5 and switched #18 from Par 5 to Par 4 for the 2nd round.

9 played with no elevation yesterday. Where is it today?

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 9:29 AM

YankeeJim:

andyson:

9 played with no elevation yesterday. Where is it today?

Good remark Jim, FOX showed yesterday the two available tee locations for that hole. One with some up hill carry and the one we know from WGT, from up hill.

The one they used yesterday was the one with little up hill and is placed ON THE OPPOSITE side of the green if you were going to tee up from the elevated one!!!....sort of rotating 160 degrees around the green from each tee.

Eric

edit, they will play today from the tee we know from WGT.

• TarheelsRule
    5,509 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 10:22 AM

I'm not too keen on the USGA switching the par on these holes, although I guess that in reality par means nothing, the guy with the lowest total still wins.

It has been fun to watch this course on TV versus what we see on WGT.

My comments...

1)  WGT doesn't duplicate the roll that the fairways give, side to side and forward.

2)  WGT can give the green speed but not the bumpy mixed grass greens that these guys are having to deal with - I really think the USGA will have to address this and CB will have to change their greens if a future USGA event happens here.

3)  The elevation change and the distance between holes is going to wear on these players after four days.   The guys in better shape will have an advantage.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 10:39 AM

TarheelsRule:
    WGT can give the green speed but not the bumpy mixed grass greens that these guys are having to deal with

According to the announcers following the featured group yesterday, the greens roll really smooth. The only time it looks like they're bumpy is when the putt comes to a stop. I agree on the fairways and being in shape. Jeez, my legs hurt just watching them. LOL

p.s., Spieth is fun to watch. 4 under on the back 9 to start and leading at -6.  :-)

*edit-Oops, he's hacking 18. Musta jinxed him.  :-(

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 1:42 PM

Ops...Jason Day is....down!!! : (((

Hope he recovers.

Update.... he is up & walking : ))) and seem to be able to finish his round.

He does not seem completely ok tho....lets see how he feels after the round....

New update, he has finished his round but he's on his knees....all is just weird. Hope he can play tomoroow

Eric

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 4:24 PM

Well, jn truth, to me Chambers Bay is the ugliest, most ridiculous looking golf faus pas currently known to man. The good thing is, seeing it on TV is a time-saving gift. The next time I travel to Washington (which is about 2-3 times a year), I won't bother with stopping by, but rather continue another 45 miles north and play Sahalee. This Chambers ogre reminds me of a couple of other sucker traps down in Palm Springs country...PGA West and Big Horn...   

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2015 10:53 PM

SweetiePie:

Well, jn truth, to me Chambers Bay is the ugliest, most ridiculous looking golf faus pas currently known to man. The good thing is, seeing it on TV is a time-saving gift. The next time I travel to Washington (which is about 2-3 times a year), I won't bother with stopping by, but rather continue another 45 miles north and play Sahalee. This Chambers ogre reminds me of a couple of other sucker traps down in Palm Springs country...PGA West and Big Horn...   

Lily....uh...drought?

Sure, you can waste the resources, keep things super green...but we ( about 350 miles north of you), try to conserve...I'm sure the non-potable resources at CB are used by now...so what to do?

I for one applaud them, they are conserving...if you don't...well...you don't.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 2:46 AM

Sheesh ... water conservation. We have so much water in Louisiana, we have to dump the excess into the Gulf of Mexico ...

Otherwise we would all be boating to work. 

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 3:01 AM

Leaderboard day 2

Not big difference from yesterday but that Reed is now up there & Stenson is getting far from the lead.

Some unexpected faces up there and that is nice to see : )

Also, some players are gone from our Pick the Winner competition and I have added the T position to the players that made the cut ; ))

• Justin Rose* T28
    • Henrik Stenson* T12
    • Phil Mickelson* T35
    • Dustin Johnson* T3
    • Miguel Angel Jimenez
    • Ryan Moore
    • Jordan Spieth* T1
    • Matt Kuchar* T17
    • Rickie Fowler
    • Bubba Watson
    • Rory McIlroy* T44
    • Martin Kaymer