Help › Forums

Backspin BS vs Topspin TS

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 8 2009 3:06 PM (21 replies)
  • Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2009 12:08 AM

Off the tee, two scenarios;
    1] 10mph wind at your back.  Which ball spin gives you more distance, BS or TS?
    2] 10mph wind in your face.  Which ball spin gives you more distance, BS or TS?

Off the fairway, two scenarios;
    1] 10mph wind at your back.  Which ball spin gives you more distance, BS or TS?
    2] 10mph wind in your face.  Which ball spin gives you more distance, BS or TS?

• pullinup
    108 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2009 1:08 AM

Hello.   I think that topspin always makes the ball go farther and vice versa.

But I have noticed that the system isnt perfect. You can sometimes get a different result with the identical input data.

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2009 4:48 PM

I was thinking with the wind behind me, I would use BS to get the ball up in the air so the wind could carry it farther.  With the wind in my face, I would use TS to get the ball to roll more.

• whitten1823
    84 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 1:37 AM

That's sounds about right!! I usually go halfway on the BS with at my back. It get's the ball in the air, but you still get some roll.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 5:04 AM

Hi,

From my experience with a wind at your back, backspin gets me more distance. It also depends on the topography of the course - eg whether the fairways slope downhill or uphill and where you actually land the ball.

I am no long driver by any means - my best about 270 in practice with a nice tail wind, and backspin.

Into the wind I tend to try degrees of top spin and punch. That seems on the face of it to get me more distance.

At the end of the day - get out on the practice fairway and work it out for yourself. People will give you all the help they can, but there is no substitute for practicing these options on your own and working it out for yourself - it shouldnt take to long. Then you can help other people with the same problems

So - There is no simple answer to this, there are a lot of variables - practice and see what happens.

Cheers Doug

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 7:29 AM

Much more of this question relies upon how far above or below your teeing position the fairway or green is.  With wind at your back on 16 at Bethpage backspin wouldnt give you as much distance because the ball would be heading straight down when it finally lands.  A flatter shot offers more distance.  Contrary to that 12 on Kiawah gives you more distance if you use backspin because your ball can fly the uphill portion of the fairway.  Unless its grossly down hill a little more backspin should give you more distance, but too much starts to take away from your roll.

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 7:29 AM

Oh also with wind into your face topspin always gives you more distance.

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 8:35 AM

Thanks guys for all your replies, they are sincerely appreciated.

Warren

• PERDMAN
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 8:52 AM

Please explain how to achieve backspin. I've tried hitting hard with higher irons, but I roll by the pin regularly.

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Mon, Jul 6 2009 2:22 PM

I can't put back spin on a ball either. Would like to know how.

RSS