Forums

Help › Forums

Going for the green in 2 @ BP #4

Mon, Dec 6 2010 9:31 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 3:12 PM

I have had a few birds by hitting the approach shot in the fairway to the right of the hole...then an easy pitch to the green. If I get it close a birdie. getting the right distance on the approach seems to be the key.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 3:51 PM
    Putting for an Eagle on this hole is very rare by the best of players. To attempt to hit the green in two, even with the very best T-Ball, is stupid. It presents the sand, rough or perhaps the green (rare) and shots that could be anything. By hitting the ball to the right that leaves a 40yrd or a little less shot, every time, produces a shot that can be mastered.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 4:16 PM

SweetiePie:
    To attempt to hit the green in two, even with the very best T-Ball, is stupid. It presents the sand, rough or perhaps the green (rare) and shots that could be anything.

No moreso than going for the trap on BPB15 or Oakmont 9 because it's so easy to get close out of it. Same thing about any lie around #4.  The risk reward is worth it.

• KingSallow
    38 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 12:24 AM

You have to ask yourself:

Safe route and birdie 99%

or go for it with a chance of less than 10% for an eagle. 50% chance to hit a par or bogie if you are not experienced enough in sand or roughplay around the green.

Greets

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 7:27 AM

Managed to eagle that hole today for the first time in tarnation and lo and behold here is a thread about it!

The secret was that I was trying to win a Sandman award, so I aimed shot 2 for the sand in front of the green, but just to foil my plans the ball hit the heavy rough beyond the sand, which knocked the wind out of the thing and it strolled on to 15 or 20 feet from the hole.

Go figure.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 8:41 AM

To me BPB is impossible and that is the only hole with a bird chance. I aim for the bunker when wind is with, and go to far right when against. Both set me up for a good birdie chance on easy tees but on medium I just don't have the guts or the clubs to go for the green in two. Nice shot though, I've seen quite a few lucky shots on Beth, but that may top the list. Always great fun on that hole, a nice risk and reward just like #17 on Oakmont. I just cant help myself even with a crappy 3wood as a driver. It's no fun to play safe there, and I always end up with par anyway!

Doodles

*edit* I've just realised that's my 100th post! Lol!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 6 2010 9:31 AM

I play the hole driver/wedge/wedge-birdie putt every time. Lay up south of the lowest bunker 70-90 yards out. It's easier to get there and that angle takes the slope of the green out of play for the 3rd shot. Trying to stop the shot over the trap when you're farther up the fairway often leads to excessive roll and a long return putt because the ball lands on a down slope and takes off. Coming in from lower in the fairway gives you more flat green to work with.

• PAGES
RSS