Forums

Help › Forums

Going for the green in 2 @ BP #4

Mon, Dec 6 2010 9:31 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bullpin
    630 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:16 AM

I remember seeing a post about this topic in the past, but I can't seem to find it... anyhow, here's how i did it: from 209 out i hit the rough near the left edge of the bunker and bounced it up and on. No change in spin, i just hit full 3W and it worked its way on. I was down to starter balls at the time, so yardages will vary. As always, practice makes perfect, but dumb luck is how it happened here :P

The Replay:

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=20b645e3-3805-49cb-97b7-9e3f01895386

(look from camera angles 3 and 4 for a better view)

Happy duffing hitting everyone!

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:30 AM

Bollox is famous for going at that green in 2. Maybe he will comment his onbersations and whether the risk is worth the result.

-wgticon

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:47 AM

I used to go for it in 2 99% of the time when we were on slower greens and shorter tees.  I'd usually try  bouncing thru the bunker if the pin was on the right,  and bounce up thru the rough on the left if it was the back pin.  Now with the tourney speed greens I'm not sure its worth it because all those greenside shots become a lot harder,particularly from the bunker short where I'd end up more often than not.

Wish i still had some of the old replays, numerous shots within 10 ft to both pins.  My favorite being one that bounce up that little dividing strip of rough between the 2 bunker segments that hit the pin and stopped close.

• bullpin
    630 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2010 3:18 PM

Thank you both for the comments. I was just doing my warm up round when this happened, and I thought I'd post it here as a tip geared more toward the newcomers, who do have the benefit of the short tees and slower greens (I was actually trying to hit that divider as well, but horrible timing sent me a ways left of my intended target :^)

• KingTuck
    593 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 6:28 AM

For the back left pin, this is one of those shots, from the Legend tees anyway, that you just settle for par. Try and get too cute and your chances for bogey multiply. To reach a severely elevated green from 180-200+yds out and stop it on a tourney greens is just not happening - unless you have that 1 in a 1,000 just-right-bounce. I'll always throw the ball in the front bunker which leaves you a 15-20% lie and about 17-20 yds to the pin. I can hit a 60 degree flop here and usually stop it just under the hole for a short uphill par putt.

For the right pin location though you stand a better chance at running it up through the rough - I've had a few close hole-outs on this pin even from the black tees.

Yes I'd like to get GIR's as much as anyone else but here it's about maintaining and not losing a shot. 

Go for par here and birdie on every other hole.

Tuck

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 6:47 AM

Forget going for the glory here - esp from the back! Play the ball up to the front of the bunkers below the green and wedge in for an easy bird or if lucky an eagle :)

• KingTuck
    593 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:13 AM

Spacklero:

Forget going for the glory here - esp from the back! Play the ball up to the front of the bunkers below the green and wedge in for an easy bird or if lucky an eagle :)

Sounds like you a talking about hole 3. This is in reference to #4. Think you just got crossed up there Spacklero. All good man :)

Tuck

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:38 AM

lol KT - i do indeed get crossed up a great deal - but here i was talking bout the par 5..... thats hole 4 no?

• KingTuck
    593 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 7:56 AM

Yep - good grief. The only person crossed up here is me. My bad man.

Tuck

• GoodyChamp
    595 Posts
    Sun, Dec 5 2010 8:26 AM

vns bullpin.

I never managed 2 get it on in 2. Always short or over the green. So i'm always playing the save route now, just landing on the fairway and a short approach 2 the pin. Birdie it most of the time.

• PAGES
RSS