Help › Forums

A warning from a voice of reason

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:46 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gitthe
    66 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 1:33 PM

I have played WGT since last December and have been amazed at the progress of the game over the last six months.  This post is not directed at anyone specifically or in response to any specific post, I just want to give my perspective on the WGT community.

Prior to playing WGT, I was active in the Halo 3 community at www.bungie.net  Over time, the forums on the bungie site became full of criticism, complaining, and bitterness.  This forum is quickly becoming the same.  It has just recently become more negative, I have sensed the change in the last couple of months.  Coinciding, ironically, as WGT has given us MORE courses, MORE clubs, made efforts to improve swing meter performance, etc. 

Instead of expressing gratitude, we have instead complained louder.  I just want to encourage everyone to think before you post.  Remember that you are playing a free game that offers prizes unlike any other game site around and is trying to listen to feedback and make changes to the game.

This may sound simplistic, but we can make this forum whatever we want it to be.  My fear is that we are very quickly becoming a place much like the Bungie community.  A repository for people to vent their frustrations about this game not being perfect.  Well guess what, this game is never going to be perfect.  And if you have ever played any other video game online, you know that there are always bugs, imperfections, cheats, glitches, that keep any game from being perfect.

Try to think before you post.  If you are about to rail into the admins or someone else, sleep on it before you hit post.  Yeah yeah, I am being idealistic, I just want to try and prevent WGT from becoming a bitter place to visit.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 1:47 PM

It's a normal progression for a gaming forum that is growing by leaps and bounds in terms of traffic and membership.

The complainers will always be the loudest and the majority of people who have no problems with the game are too busy playing the game as opposed to posting on the forums (hence the reason for the complaining threads dominating the forums).

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 1:58 PM

Indeed, discretion is a lost art.

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

-- Qui-gon Jinn

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 3:35 AM

I argee with you there. I try and go around some of the forums, and tell everyone to calm down! It's only a golf game after all!

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 5:00 AM

www.kipling.org.uk/poems_if.htm

Would now be an appropriate moment to trot out an old favourite?

Sean

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 6:56 AM

Hi gitthe,

Excellent post. Cant add anything else. I do look on the forums regularly and have posted many positive posts.

I think WGT would appreciate voices of reason, its just so easy to criticise.

See you on the course

Cheers

Doug

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 7:16 AM

Indeed.  There is a fine line between constructive criticism and whining that most do not walk well.  I try to keep it limited to the former, though I'm sure I've snuck in a whine once or twice. ;-)

• russdud
    7 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:05 PM

i think it brill a free and enjoyable online game and i am getting hooked like the real game

• reidhanson
    49 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:19 PM

I agree.  I think we should all attempt to speak in civil tones.  We should exercise civility toward one another and to the WGT organization in general.  I would propose stronger moderation on the forums; whereby people who are just plain out of line get posts deleted, warnings and even banned.  WGT Alex does an excellent job; but perhaps, with all the growth of late, it is time to put a team under her?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:22 PM

@ried

Hi - yeh agree with your post. I actually put in a complaint yesterday over a totally over the top post. Just ridiculus - you may have seen it. Hopefully they acted promptly and removed it.

They are probably overrun at the moment.The site is developing at such a rate - I have been here a while now, and the difference in the past 12 months has been amazing.

Just a great site

Cya on the course

Cheers Doug

• PAGES
RSS