Forums

Help › Forums

Links

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 22 2009 12:23 PM (3 replies)
  • QuinntheEskimo
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2009 6:37 PM

it's been over 10 years since Microsoft released the Links series culminating with Links 2003. it's amazing that after 10 years, absolutely no progress has been made for an adequate replacement.  i realize this is a free game- but from what i've read- programmers of this game are trying to reinvent the wheel?? the swing meter and putting in this game are top notch- everything else is painfully average.

How after 9 mo's are there still only 3 or 4 playable courses? More courses! how bout adding different game modes- i.e. team play, ryder cup alternate shot, skins, etc...  chat feature would be nice.

so after a few days of playing this version, i dusted off my Links 2003- and it still blows this and any golf game out of the water! my best advice to the programmers are to find a copy of Links 2003 and try and replicate as much as possible.

Quinn the Eskimo

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jun 19 2009 2:06 PM

You're right, Quinn... I mean where else can you download the demo for Links2003 and kick Sergio's butt -8 to -3 over the very first 9 you play?

It is very realistic, there.. if you call cartoon golf 'realistic'.  Why don't we just all break out our TW PS games and make sure we can change the spin direction and rate in mid-air.

/sarcasm off

Sorry.  I am going to stick with this BETA until I see something better come along.

• QuinntheEskimo
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 6:53 AM

sure you could shoot -8 on Links in beginner mode... and eventually you can work you're way up to championship mode where par is a great score.

"cartoonish"? maybe the sim golfer looks a little cartoonish- however the game play (physics)  is much more realistic. wind, slope, putting the ball in front or back of your stance etc... and no you cant control spin while the ball is in the air (ie TW)...

also- Links included the APCD- course designer- where any Schmoe can design or replicate an existing course and put it online for everyone to play... you could go weeks and not play the same course twice... Augusta, Bethpage, Oakland Hills, Sawgrass, Pebble Beach, fantasy courses... any course on the PGA and European tour- they're all there.

this game is allright- but i'd put it on par with the the Links LS 98 version (2nd year)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 12:23 PM

Since I wrote my response above (a few days ago), I have been shown the error of my ways in this thread... 

And made a promise to go look at the real Links2003...  So, please allow me to retract my "cartoon golf" statement and consider my original reply to be from the uninformed....  You have my apologies, sir.

Cheers

RSS