rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 5 2014 9:14 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:40 PM

ApexPC:
    Domain name system

Irrelevant! DNS is used only during set-up of a connection to get an IP address for a destination domain name.

ApexPC:
    The least of these are the routersmodemsdomain name servers, and various other servers necessary to provide us the world wide web.

The video above showed that servers are attached to ISPs and are not part of the network connection.  ISPs connect to the network routers.

Routers merely send the packets on their way to the destination. Routers do not change data in the packets.  Network high speed routers are highly reliable systems.  99.7% up time.  The links connecting the network routers (fiber optics usually) have back-up links. The network will re-route traffic around congestion or failures.  Protocols ensure the integrity of the messages.

It would take a catastrophe for us to get a disconnect from a game due to the network.

How many of the devices shown in a tracert are network routers?  Here's my tracert to the game client using WGT's server psj-gs04.wgt.com:

Using the same diagram from the video I posted above, this is how the above tracert devices are depicted.  #s on the diagram correspond to the line #s in the tracert.

At least 6 of the devices (#s 5 thru 10) shown in the tracert are network routers.

The three time outs (#s 11 to 13) are likely devices programmed to not reply to tracert messages because of the type or amount of traffic being handled.  "I'm really busy, sorry can't be bothered"  Probably one or more are also network routers as well.

KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER:

• There's only ONE server involved, WGT's, in a game connection.
    • As many as half the devices (network routers) in a tracert will not cause problems with a game.
    • It makes no difference how many network routers are between your ISP and WGT's ISP they still will not cause problems

There will be a quiz on Monday.  ;-)

• svntwoo
    43 Posts
    Wed, Nov 5 2014 9:14 PM

What are the WGT game server IP's or how do you figure out which on you are on? 

Results when I trace psj-gs04.wgt.com:

The last two hops are horrible for me. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    After further reading Andyson's post above it seems that Tracert wont tell you much as the servers don't respond to pinging.  "devices programmed to not reply to tracert messages because of the type or amount of traffic being handled."   
    So are you saying the problem with lag or meter issues are wgt server sided?

• PAGES
RSS