Forums

Help › Forums

How to hit it further?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 5 2009 5:52 AM (39 replies)
  • BleedMarshall
    26 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2009 6:27 PM

My accuracy on any drive is good. I aim for the distance signs and hit them or come within 10-15 feet usually. So If I was to play a course then my fairway average would be easily 70%+ no doubt. But adding distance does not mean taking away accuracy. That is like saying that though the weightlifter gains strength and lifts more, they should lose muscle size and mass. Makes no sense. I have heard that distance/accuracy arguement too many times, and it makes no sense. Come up with a better argument.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2009 6:51 PM

It would be my assumption that when WGT introduces the longer distance with the driver to the Pro and Master levels they would include the option of "throttling back" a bit in selected cases so as not to lose accuracy.

• skycpt
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2009 3:41 PM

I really like this game, it certainly makes you think about how you approach a golf hole, on the comments about driver accuracy, a high handicaper may well hit a 250 yard drive, but most of the time they will be shorter and off the fairway, I think the only fair way would be to reward accuracy and length with more length as the player progresses, by all means make it harder to hit the sweet spot, that rewards the players that put the time in to get better at it. Doublemocharman idea is good too.

Back to the original thread though I tried a little top spin and certainly got my driver to hit its maximum length and more on the downhill sections. 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jun 12 2009 4:14 PM

Indeed Skycpt, that is what WGT has in mind when they make the change... longer drives with less accuracy unless you hit it in the sweet spot. 

As far as how hard you swing here is what I'd like to see:

- The Anthony Kim Meter - Throttle back for accuracy by gripping up and swinging smooth.  But not necessarily a short drive, maybe 250 - 260.

- The WGT Meter - As it is now. With the new distances.

- The John Daly Meter - Grip and rip!

• golfstar18
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 5:15 AM

yeah i just started playin wgt and its pretty good except for the fact that u can only hit drives 225 its a bit sucky

• edsignore
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 7:45 AM

WGT should allow you to trade in your awards earned during play for credits , so you can upgrade to better equipment without having to actually pay.  The better equipment should let you hit the ball farther and put more spin on shots...  the way its set up now is a joke, when you can't reach fairways or come close to some par 4's in two... and when you are talking about average drives, if that is say 250yds, then when you do hit it perfect on the meter, the ball should travel in the 260-280yd range.... very unfair the way the game plays right now.....

• jayjenn
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 8:29 AM

How am I suppose to play Bethpage if the farthest allowed is only 225!  I see that I am designated a "HACK"  - ok, how do I stop being a hack?  Anyone know?  Jay

• snafu125
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 4:50 PM

im working security for the us open at bethpage.  and trust me  not reaching the fairway here is realistic.  Some fairways have about a 250  carry just to reach the fairway.

• BTKbomber
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2009 5:46 PM

Use the sandtraps as slingshots...view my replay

• bu11dog
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 9:49 AM

Melli22631,

I disagree with you some.  We play and earn the designation as an "Amateur" or "Pro".  So give us the benefits of being such.  When you play a rated game you automatically go back to a different set of tee boxes, but don't pick up any distance on shots.  Not everyone that is a "Pro" hits the distance of Corey Pavin.  You should be able to pick up some distance each time you earn a different level, but as you get better the poor shots should be more heavily penalized.  If you hit in the rough make it more difficult to get to the green.  If you hit your approach above the hole or in the wrong part of the green make the putts a lot harder to make.  As I've said before, I'm not looking to hit the ball 300 yards or shoot rounds of 24 under.  It just isn't realistic to be a "Pro" and hit your max drive 225.  

Snafu,

How realistic the game is would be debatable depending on who you are.  A 250 carry may be a reality, but that alone doesn't make the game realistic because there are folks who play golf that can hit it further than 250 on the fly.

RSS