Forums

Help › Forums

Unbalanced wind pattern sets

Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:16 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 8:28 AM

The newest front 9 Weekly Tournament, Master division, has some very unbalanced wind pattern sets.  For example, I had one pattern where holes 1-4 had tail winds, and had a corresponding pattern that had head winds on 1-4.  Some of these sets play far easier than others, while in the past the wind patterns were pretty well balanced as to not provide for "perfect storm" conditions for scoring.  Have a look at the data and reassess the balance.  In my opinion, it's out of whack.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:48 PM

Is there a legitimate reason that it takes more than 3 weeks to get even an acknowledgement on this?

The wind patterns for the current Master tier competitions are unbalanced.  Round 1 of 18 hole Kiawah tournament averaged 225 yards per drive.  Round 2 averaged 240yds. 15 yards of driving distance differential is alot.  Certain patterns make it so the 4th, 9th, 12th, and 18th greens are all unreachable in 2 in the same round, while others have it so that you can reach them all.  This just adds to the "Lottery golf" element of the game, where you just play and play until you get the "perfect storm" set of conditions required to get the lowest score.

Once again, please reassess the data and even out these rounds.

• monkeyass
    31 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 3:56 PM

I agree...  I find it very easy to throw darts at the pin with a side or head wind, but when the game throws tail winds at you left and right (lol), you do have to wait for the perfect round.

• pullinup
    108 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 10:47 PM

I must have played the Pilsner over 100x in the past two weeks, and have noticed the inadequate

rotation of of wind directions.

And please, 8 directions are plenty, 16th's are too many.

Implement a non repeating random cycle of 8. And throw the 16th's out.

Does WGT retain the low scores in a data base?

I sure would like to see the low round on the Pilsner.

Even getting a ball on greens 4-7 is just short of miraculous. 

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Wed, Jul 8 2009 7:55 AM

Even better, take the actual layout of the holes and give the COURSE a wind value and direction. Then fluctuate the speed a bit by hole (and direction, too, within 15-30 degrees.....ie NE wind default, so a hole could have NNE, NE, or ENE wind during play). To me that would make everything as "fair" as possible. Yes, some rounds might have the wind stacked against you, but at least you know the wind is consistent across the course.

I had a round at BPB that I noticed it wasn't this. Playing #3 (par 3) I hit to the right of the pin. As I'm putting, I notice #4 in the background going away from me (tee to green). #3 had a crosswind that would have translated into a tailwind on #4. Instead I get there and I have a strong HEADwind on #4. Wouldn't have happened in real life (unless I was in the middle of a tornado). I would think you would see overall more "fairness" in the rounds with this configuration.

• JGates
    158 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:53 AM

Yeah I noticed it is really jacked up from hole to hole.  I like the idea of giving the course as a whole a wind direction and will change according to the hole layout.  Speed could vary slightly from time to time which is normal.  I do find it kind of odd that WGT has not addressed this thread.

• Morgeo
    52 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 7:36 PM

I find that the wind is not equally fair for a tail wind or head wind. A head wind requires more club but when I have a tail wind I don't get the extra distance that I expect. I have jusr forfeited a round because the person I was playing with was having a bad time and left, I continued but at the 7th tee my ball did not reach the fairway even though the indication was that it was a perfect shot and I had an 8mph wind from the right rear.  This is frustrating and someting is wrong with the program in my view. This problem shows itself on the 9th as well because even with no wind or a following wind,unless you give it more club you will be short of the green or most likely in the bunker.

• darkage47
    57 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 4:56 AM

sent a post to wgt last month about the inconsistent wind patterns and variations... never heard back.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 5:57 AM

I hear you.  This thread is 52 days old without a response.  I even bumped it 3 weeks later, still nothing.  It's insulting.

P.S.  WGT, I was right about the Raptures wasn't I?  You're welcome.

I'm right about this one too.  I guess the answer is "classified".

• Syn7aX
    64 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 7:55 AM

yea, I guess there is a thing called wind deviations too...heh

• PAGES
RSS