Forums

Help › Forums

Is Tiger finished?

Sat, Nov 17 2018 11:05 PM (92 replies)
  • Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Apr 13 2014 11:45 AM

Look at it this way.

Nicklaus was 46 when he won his last major. Is  Woods capable of winning majors up to that age? I think so and possibly older.  He's aged 38 now , 27 majors to go before his 47th.

Win 5 majors from 27?  Barring any serious injuries, that's possible. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:01 AM

In terms of Woods, I believe that there are some health issues that will never allow him to come back as he was.  His play in the last 5 years has been pretty average (well below that for him but not of a great quality).

I believe he has used PED's over the years, we all know that he has used the blood therapy techniques which might be technically legal but are on the line for sure.  Whether that is true or not doesn't really matter in my opinion.  What matters is that for an athlete who is 38 today, he is much older than was Jack Nicklaus when he won the Masters at age 46 in terms of his body.  Tiger has been playing competitive golf since he was 12 (at least), he reminds me a little of Kobe Bryant, he seems young since he skipped college but the abuse of his body makes him old.

Tiger is the same as Kobe, he has played so long and so much that his body is old for his age.  His swing (prior to the injuries) played havoc on his knees.  When he was 22 I told a friend that Tiger's knees would never hold out till he was 35 if he didn't change his swing.  I think we will see Tiger around and he might compete for another title, more likely a PGA or a Masters.  I don't expect him to do well in the British or US Opens in the future.  He might have 1 or 2 more majors in him but not 5 for sure.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 12:06 PM

Never be as good as he was, no athlete gets better as they get older. The smart ones learn to adapt to what their  body will let them do. If anybody can come back and play smart it will be Tiger. If his body holds up he beats all the records, if not.....well still one of the GREATS.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 2:28 PM

We can only wait and see.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 3:52 PM

Chinajohn:
    With the announcement that Tiger Woods has had to withdraw from the 2014 Masters due to not recovering from (more) back surgery, the question may be, is he finished?

Simple answer here John is no.

Fred couples has suffered from crippling back pains for years and is still mixing it with the best.

Tiger will be back in a few months.

Although on that note, I'd say his shagging career is over....for the time being at least.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:03 PM

Chinajohn:
    the question may be, is he finished?

They said that before and he won what,?5 times last year?

He can afford the doctors and the layoff,, He will  be back in blood red again and win, maybe a major or 2 to ice it off.

But will he win 4 more major tourneys to break jack?

I seriously doubt it, but you know tiger.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:09 PM

TarheelsRule:
     His play in the last 5 years has been pretty average (well below that for him but not of a great quality).

2013 >> PGA Player of the Year  - 5 wins from 16 tournaments.

If his rehabilitation goes well, I'm betting that he wins the PGA or British Open  or both.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Apr 15 2014 9:23 PM

courteneyfish:
    St Andrews doesn't play longer. Look at holes like the 9th, 10th and 12th. Imagine how much tougher those holes would have been when people couldn't hit further than 240 yards. This game reflects real golf in that if the top clubs were G20's and the top ball was the Srixon it would be a much better game. It's like athletics, records continue to be broken because the tracks and shoes keep getting better. (Sorry I can't quote or use paragraphs with this browser.)

I don't give a crap if it's a rock & a stick. T.Woods would'a found a way of getttin it in the hole (you kow what i mean?)

His daddy sent him on a mission (and tiger loves it) to spank anybody with a golf club in thier hand & spank em good.

Tiger could whittlle himself a club & grab a rock & if that was the MO for the time he's a knocked em dead.

So when when it come to hittin a ball with a stick, I give it to TIger, I don't give a $hit what he is useing.

But his azz better watch out for Bubba Watson because that SOB is on a roll.

courteneyfish:
    St Andrews doesn't play longer. Look at holes like the 9th, 10th and 12th. Imagine how much tougher those holes would have been when people couldn't hit further than 240 yards. This game reflects real golf in that if the top clubs were G20's and the top ball was the Srixon it would be a much better game. It's like athletics, records continue to be broken because the tracks and shoes keep getting better. (Sorry I can't quote or use paragraphs with this browser.)

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 3:14 PM

I had what they class as major back surgery last July, 6 screws inserted into my spine, to reconstruct my spine and aid me in walking for the rest of my life. After almost a year im beginning to run with the dog again, painful sometimes but a slow journey.

With the right team behind him as in physio, psychological for one, for sure, he'll win again, maybe not as much as he did or was used to.   

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:37 PM

Yeah but, he can't take the dog on the course with him.

RSS