Forums

Help › Forums

Is Tiger finished?

Sat, Nov 17 2018 11:05 PM (92 replies)
  • Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 8:26 PM

With the announcement that Tiger Woods has had to withdraw from the 2014 Masters due to not recovering from (more) back surgery, the question may be, is he finished?

Will he ever recover to his former glories, will he match or beat those two outstanding records he is (was?) aiming for.

I know from experience in my former trade the hugely debilitating effect both physically and psychologically back injuries can have.

Opinions? (Yes I know they're like diapers and for the same reasons).

• duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 8:42 PM

I think he will come back - no, not to his former greatness, but that's not going to diminish what he's already done at all I don't believe.  If anything, guys like me will actually root for his return and recovery.  Odd it takes things like adversity for me to get behind a guy.  I guess I don't like front runners much :)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 8:54 PM

Chinajohn:

Will he ever recover to his former glories, will he match or beat those two outstanding records he is (was?) aiming for.

I don't see him having a problem beating the 12 girlfriends record, what's the other one?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:16 PM

In truth? It really doesn't matter. All of his peers, regardless of age or era, already know that he is the best golfer that has ever played the game. Fact of life.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:42 PM

duffer19:

I think he will come back - no, not to his former greatness, but that's not going to diminish what he's already done at all I don't believe.  If anything, guys like me will actually root for his return and recovery.  Odd it takes things like adversity for me to get behind a guy.  I guess I don't like front runners much :)

I agree, I would root for him too - not that I have ever been a Tiger fan, but he has done so much for golf in many ways over the years, and single handed raised the bar for all others to aspire to.

Will he ever be as good as he once was? Very unlikely but if anyone can, it would be him.

Regardless his record speaks for itself.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:43 PM
    SweetiePie:

In truth? It really doesn't matter. All of his peers, regardless of age or era, already know that he is the best golfer that has ever played the game. Fact of life.

That's a big claim. How would he have coped before the super clubs and balls spoiled the game?
  • geraldlarousse
    1,986 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 9:58 PM

courteneyfish:
    SweetiePie:

That's a big claim. How would he have coped before the super clubs and balls spoiled the game?

LOL C. He would have smoked them back then. When tiger was in his early days he was the best golfer to ever have played hands down.

When he was just a teenager he was taking money off the pros then.

He will never be what he once was. Back then he could hit shots no other pro could.

I seen him personally hit a shot out of a bunker over water with a 4 iron that carried over 230 yards. Ball landed to within 10 feet. Nobody in that tourney could have hit that shot. Not one player.

That was a longtime ago. But i bet today nobody could hit that shot. That is with better equipment then had back then. 

Figure i have seen a lot of pros play. I have never seen a pro hit shots like Tiger could in his early days. Watching him on the driving range was crazy.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 10:09 PM

courteneyfish:

Just fine! No one had the mental strength he did, Pre Tiger many of the top players including Major winners played after a few drinks or even drunk, post Tiger those guys are long gone and everyone is in the gym, talking to mental coaches as well as swing coaches, it's a whole new era because of him(and I can't stand the arrogant SOB but love to watch him play LOL)

A friends son was playing on the Nike Tour when Tiger started playing, he said there were 20 players as long or longer than him on that tour, but nobody could do the things he could...keep in mind that even with the super clubs the courses now play a lot longer than they did in the pre Tiger days...

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 10:20 PM
    St Andrews doesn't play longer. Look at holes like the 9th, 10th and 12th. Imagine how much tougher those holes would have been when people couldn't hit further than 240 yards. This game reflects real golf in that if the top clubs were G20's and the top ball was the Srixon it would be a much better game. It's like athletics, records continue to be broken because the tracks and shoes keep getting better. (Sorry I can't quote or use paragraphs with this browser.)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Apr 1 2014 11:00 PM

The scores at the British Open are the same as they were in the 80's and STA scores have always been a lot lower than other Open courses...so unless your talking about persimmon woods there is no difference...lol...they had to change Augusta several times..

RSS