Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:29 AM

16 January

Let's not forget, Ethel Merman ... 106 today!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 5:36 AM

January 17

The Most Amazing American is 308

Benjamin Franklin

This true genius did so many important things, it will be difficult to be brief. Born in Boston, to a very humble family of seven or eight siblings, said he couldn't remember not being able to read. At a very young age he worked for his brother in a printing business. Still quite young, he decided to set out on his own to Philadelphia, and walked there...a pretty good walk by any standard. Worked in printing there, before adventure again called and he sailed to England and easily found work, again in the printing business. He returned to Philadelphia and began his own enterprizes. Printing and publishing. His successes in business allowed him enough money to retire to pursuits of more interest.

He wrote and published 'Poor Richards Almanac' read by almost everyone in America

Established the first Post Office and first Fire Department

Invented the Lighting Rod by virtue of his fascination with electricity, and the Franklin Stove (a cast iron fireplace) which could warm an entire room evenly.

Was part of the commitee of five for Jeffersons Declaration of Independence and provided some minor corrections to it.

Was appointed plenipotentiary to France and secured finance and military support from her.

Was a major help and signer of The U.S. Constitution, authored by James Madison.

And much too more to mention...

In a letter by Thomas Jefferson dated February 19, 1791 (address illegible) he wrote in part:..."I found the ministers of France equally impressed with the talents and integrity of Dr. Franklin...When he left Passy (about a mile or so from Paris), it seemed as if the village had lost its patriarch. On taking leave of the court, which he did by letter, the King ordered him to be handsomely complimented, and furnished him wih a litter and mules of his own, the only kind of conveyance the state of his health could bear....

The succession to Dr. Franklin, at the court of France, was an excellent school of humility. On being presented to any one as the minister of America, the commonplace question used in such cases was "c'est vous, Monsieur, qui remplace le Docteur Franklin?" ( "it is you, Sir, who replace Doctor Franklin?") I generally answered, "no one can replace him, Sir; I am only his successor."

Lily    

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:53 AM

...and also

Betty White is 92

James Earl (Darth) Jones is 83

Cassius Clay is 72

Jim Carey is 52

Kid Rock is 43

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 1:43 PM

SweetiePie:
    And much too more to mention...

In David McCullough's book on John Adams, he writes of the times Ben Franklin and John Adams shared while ambassadors to France.  One thing I recall, Ben requested that he be sent several "raccoon caps", since the ladies thought he looked handsome sporting such caps.  John Adams spoke of Ben Franklin as one real "ladies man".

Also, it is rumored that Ben Franklin was left handed ... although he wrote with his right hand.  Just another brilliant "ambi", I suppose!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 5:41 AM

January 18

Today Kevin Costner is 59

236 years ago, English navigator Captain James Cook reached the present-day Hawaiian Islands, which he named the "Sandwich Islands."

152 years ago, tenth president of the United States, John Tyler, died in Richmond, Va., at age 71.

143 years ago, William I of Prussia was proclaimed German Emperor in Versailles, France.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 11:13 AM

1944 - The Metropolitan Oprah House hosts its first jazz concert.  Performers that evening were Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden. 

Happy B-Day Keven!  You suck at golf, by the way!  LOL.

• Swede56
    128 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 3:04 AM

I don't understand.....Are you proud or what??

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 5:43 AM

DaddysKat:

1944 - The Metropolitan Oprah House hosts its first jazz concert.  Performers that evening were Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden. 

A few of those mentioned perform here too....

Before you ask,  Kat........  I wasn't in the audience.

Le Jazz hot!

:)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 6:11 AM

January 19

Confederate General Robert E. Lee is 207 years old

Bird Lover Tippi Hedren is 84

Opera Lover Michael Crawford is 72

9 to 5 Worker Dolly Parton is 68

Lucy Lover Desi Arnaz Jr. is 61

Goofy Family Lover Katey Sagal is 60

Barrio Lover & Golf Lover Paul Rodriguez is 59

and...250 years ago John Wilkes was expelled from the British Parliament for seditious libel and obscenity...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:13 AM

Swede56:

I don't understand.....Are you proud or what??

...mostly, I would say I'm "or what??"...I avoid pride, along with vanity and envy. Pride and vanity, as I see it, are both evil and so I nip them in the bud when I am aware of them, and I can't remember a time when envy was in my nature.

RSS