Forums

Help › Forums

Happy Birthday

Wed, Jul 1 2020 4:32 AM (1,330 replies)
  • DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sat, Jan 11 2014 2:00 PM

SweetiePie:

In truth, it was Burr, Adams and Jefferson. After the first tally, Adams was out and Burr and Jefferson were tied. The second tally had Jefferson 1 vote more than Burr and became our third President with Burr as Vice President. After this, after a while, came the Hamilton/Burr duel. This led to Burr being removed from office and his political wanderings led him to many places in several States to achieve a new national power position for himself to be the new leader of the country. The Quixote comment was Jeffersons in a letter...not my idea. 

Didn't that also remove the "2nd place gets the VP chair?".  I recall the story of how the Adams/Jefferson 4 year term was a huge fiasco.  It's funny how the way those two fought in office could mend fences and become such good friends.  

I read a book about their last years and the letters shared between them.  Great story!

Edit:  Sorry ... getting a bit off topic ... Happy Birthday Alexander Hamilton!

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:02 AM

12 Jan:  Happy Birthday John Hancock!  Would have been 277 years old today.  The first to sign the United States Declaration of Independence.  (filling in for you SweetiePie).

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Sun, Jan 12 2014 2:42 PM

Lovin it,,,,,,To everyone.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jan 14 2014 9:48 AM

Jan 14

To

Faye (Bonnie Parker) Dunaway 73

230 years ago, the United States ratified a peace treaty with England, ending the Revolutionary War.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, Jan 14 2014 10:20 AM

14 Jan ... also celebrating a birthday is Todd "never call me that"  LL Cool J ... 46 today!  Happy Birthday, Todd .... 'er .... James!

Also born on 14 Jan ... Benedict Arnold ... thought you might find that interesting, SP!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jan 14 2014 11:12 AM

DaddysKat:

Also born on 14 Jan ... Benedict Arnold ... thought you might find that interesting, SP!

It is true, a great general gone traitor with the help of his Tory wife and his wrong guess..273 today...thanks mucho, DK

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Jan 14 2014 3:57 PM

Famed extraordinaire and selfless worker with lepers in Africa, Albert Schweitzer was born today in 1875 in a part of Germany that now belongs to France making him 139 years old. Not an American but a fine chap nonetheless ....

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jan 15 2014 5:30 AM

Jan 15

Civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. was born in Atlanta...85 years ago

In 1559, England's Queen Elizabeth I was crowned in Wesminster Abbey. 455 years ago

...and sadly, in 1947, the remains ( body cut completely in half, left nude in a vacant lot in L.A.) of 22 year old Elizabeth Short, who came to be known as the "Black Dahlia" were found; her slaying remains unsolved.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:14 AM

One more for 15 Jan ... Lloyd Bridges.  Here's a clip of him in one of my favorite movies of all time ...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 5:57 AM

January 16

Today

A,J. Foyt is 79

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is 67

John Carpenter is 66

467 years ago, Ivan IV of Russia (popularly known as  "Ivan the Terrible") was crowned Czar

In 1920, Prohibition began in the United States as the 18th Amendment  to the U.S. Constitution took effect, one year to the day after its ratification.

RSS