Forums

Help › Forums

WELL NOW IM TEED OFF

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 2 2010 8:35 PM (58 replies)
  • Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:19 PM

I expected maybe 20 players to have been on the Legend tier.  Me a legend - I don't think so!

Today I played a Ready-Go at Kiawah (Front 9) and the conditions were very difficult, probably as difficult as the USGA and Open Championship final rounds.  I am all for realism, but when it's this tough, the level of concentration on the greens has to be so intense that in my opinion enjoyment for us mortals suffers. Maybe the real Legends would enjoy this. 

It's fine having these conditions for the major competitions but not for run of the mill the daily competitions.  If things stay as they are the average scores are going to rise by at least 5 shots. 

Just checked the Ready-Go I mentioned above (8067) - 19 withdrawals so far and I'm leading with a mediocre score of 33 - whats happening?

Edit - getting to like this.

One other thing, having seen that you need to be at level 80+ to get hold of the best clubs. It's taken me approx 12 - 15 rounds today to move from level 30 to 31!  Luckily I got the clubs already or it would have been another 600 - 750 rounds before I would be able to get those clubs.

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:20 PM

What is going on with putts from the fringe?  Had 2 today both of which despite being powerful enough to go c20 ft have each gone 1 inch.

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:27 PM

MJS74:

What is going on with putts from the fringe?  Had 2 today both of which despite being powerful enough to go c20 ft have each gone 1 inch.

I generally chip from the fringe for that reason.

• vuudu
    5 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:28 PM

Is there a way I can go back to my Masters normal level? LOL

• gwrit59
    314 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:54 PM

I agree with vuudu. Is there a way to go back to master with just the very fast greens. I had just gotten used to them and now I am having to adjust to tournament speeds,which is the same speed the legends shoot on. I am so glad also that I upgraded my clubs as soon as I made master or I would be screwed just like a number of the newer players. There should have been a warning sent to everyone that told people that after the sale and the new tier changes they would no be able to purchase most of the better equipment. They say that it is supposed to be more realistic, but I can purchase any clubs I want for my *real* golfing. ( Have the R-9 set) It depends on whether you have the money to spend or not. It also sucks that I can no longer play in any of the weekly tourneys because of my tier and since I live in a state with no gambling on skill games i can't play in the premiums either. I still love the challenge of the game but think this is screwed up.

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 1:58 PM

Thanks for the tip, but it's utterly ridiculous...chipping from the fringe with 12ft to go...downhill...on tournament greens.

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:07 PM

Totally agree with jasondement.

I've been playing since June and am a legend.  I've won 3 RG's...hardly legendary

• RampantFrenzy
    106 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:18 PM

I was expecting to be higher than level 20...

I think thats where everyone is getting screwed rather than on tiers..

Im 37 levels shy of the clubs I have already been using for months..

lol

and from the looks of the levels.. it will be quite some time before Im buying anything new

I hope pro shop sales drop off to nothing in the wake of the lowballing the levels

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 2:19 PM

gwrit59:
    Is there a way to go back to master with just the very fast greens. I had just gotten used to them and now I am having to adjust to tournament speeds,which is the same speed the legends shoot on.

I don't think they changed for TourMasters. It says Tournament speed but they are playing like Very Fast. The legends get the speed you saw in the Opens. I don't see a difference but i can only speak as a Tour Master. If Tour Master is the second fastest green and Legends is the fastest, I have seen the fastest during the Opens and it sure isn't what Tournament is now.

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Wed, Sep 1 2010 6:37 PM

birdwell:

jasondement:
    ust look at the top 100 money earnings and check stats of those players. You can't find more than 25 that should be in the legend tier and I'm sure the other 75 will agree with me, barring ego trips that is. I am a realist and I know my place in the world and in the virtual world. Among the best is not where I belong plain and simple. But I am a true fan of this game and will continue trying.

I think it would be a serious detriment to the game to isolate those 25 or so players into a tier where they could only  compete against each other for prizes - and only play with the rest of us for shiggles. If I was one of those players, the fun factor would seriously diminish, and if I wasn't I would not strive to be promoted to that tier.

I'm with you though, "Legend" seems a bit of a lofty title for the likes of you or I. Currently I'm at a 65 average - definitely not performing well at this time. And I know you are a little more consistent than I am - even though on our best days I think I'd beat you with my short game.. lol :P>

And yes I had hoped to be a Tour Master when I logged on this morning - but not so that I didn't have to compete with Bolly, A LEE, Jakes, iconian and pricehs.. (hm.. I  actually own icon and price in matchplay.. HA! :P - this is only a sleight exaggeration) Rather, I was hoping to be Tour Master so that I could have one more tier to strive for.

I can agree that there are too many legends. The number makes the title meaningless, just like MASTER used to be. But even if the Legend status was more exclusive, I don't think it should be isolated at all from the Tour Master tier. Legend just should be a honor for players that have accomplished a lot here.. instead they are a dime a dozen it seems.

Tiger, Phil, Ells, Singh they are all legends in a way - you wouldn't want to remove them from any PGA events - just to give these young guys a better shot. - They'd find a reason to choke any way...

So yeah maybe we don't belong in that upper tier, but I just don't see that as a reason to not compete against the "BEST"

Don't you think Yang's victory in the PGA last year was just a little bit sweeter since it was over TIger? You damn right it was!

Bird after being away all day and coming back reading your post here I have changed my thinking. To win against the greats (which I do edge them out from time to time in ready goes) is a sweeter victory and I now welcome the challenge. Just took about 12 hours for me to accept the facts. BB look out we coming for your trophies. <---JOKE!!!

RSS