Forums

Help › Forums

Using the Pitch/Chip shot mode - putting green grid.

Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:07 AM (95 replies)
  • ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 7:57 AM

SamanthaWho:

The main reason i rarely if ever use the pitch is the roll after. Trying to figure out how far my roll would be on different green speeds.

I also seldom pitched for exactly that reason until I got the high level Cleveland wedges. Other than landing on a downslope, using full bs with the higher spin wedges virtually eliminates roll out.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 8:03 AM

DaddysKat:

If the squares inside the grid are 2' by 2', and there are 13 full squares inside the grid with 1/2 squares on either side, if you do the math, isn't that 28'?  

If it's 20 by 20, wouldn't that mean each square would be 1.4285 feet?

From the fairway the Pitch/Chip/Flop grid only displays yards. From the center of the grid to an edge (outer grid line) is 4 yards, making the Pitch/Chip/Flop grid an 8 yard x 8 yard grid,

Based on the results from my using my method before i wrote this Tip, assuming the grid is 20' x 20' yields accurate results when used as an aid to adjust the aim point to account for wind.

Of course the player still has to hit the Ding! (Excellent) and make appropriate adjustments to hit the shot the right distance .

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 11:11 AM

ApexPC:
    From the fairway the Pitch/Chip/Flop grid only displays yards. From the center of the grid to an edge (outer grid line) is 4 yards, making the Pitch/Chip/Flop grid an 8 yard x 8 yard grid,

Ah ... either you have access to the source code or this is merely an opinion.  8 yards is 24 feet by 24 feet ... making the squares 1.71 feet by 1.71 feet on the pitch/chip/flop grid.  Must have been some great herb burning that day when the programmers designed that grid.

Being off by 4 or 5 feet on a putt ... I'd live with that any day!

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 12:11 PM

I'm sorry i'm not being successful explaining myself and you still do not seem to understand what I am trying to get across.

But I'll try 1 last time.

The Pitch/Chip/Flop grid is not for putting because the distance is to inaccurate by being shown in yards - other than to move the Pitch/Chip/Flop grid so you can put the ball and the hole in the same grid column as an aid to reading break - NOT DISTANCE.

The representation of break is most accurate when the ball and hole are in the same grid column.

You revert back to the immovable Putting grid to putt. There is a chance the putting grid will show the ball and the hole in the same column from one of the 2 putting view angles , but if it doesn't - you can't make it do so.

The Pitch/Chip/Flop grid main use is for accounting for wind at an angle on approach shots.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 1:24 PM

I've never bothered with what the grid measures in terms of actual distance (feet, yards, whatever).  I just use ratios.  

10 crosswind 200 yards = full grid

10 cross 100 yards = half grid

20 cross 100 yards = full grid

15 cross 133 yards = full grid

and so on.  

Apex is arriving at the same results, just with a different method.

I almost always just guesstimate the number of grids, but the math is (distance to pin / 200) x wind speed = number of grids to move.

I eyeball it to a tenth of a grid (or a fifth of a half of a grid, really).  Works well enough.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 1:33 PM

I should also mention that it seems to work best for the R11 irons and Callaway balls with full spin.  Less spin = less offset, Nikes hitting Nikes needs more offset, starters about half.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 1:38 PM

ApexPC:
    I'm sorry i'm not being successful explaining myself and you still do not seem to understand what I am trying to get across.

And I too am not getting my explanation across to you, Apex.  If the squares inside the grid have absolutely no measurable value, why are they there?  Were the designers of the game so high they just thought they would look pretty?  And since they appear to be an equal distance between the grid lines, doesn't it make sense that if the entire grid as you stated in an earlier post is 8 yards (or 24') shouldn't the distance between the lines have some calculated distance?

So ... to clarify my questions (and avoid the use of the pitch/chip/flop grid when putting or shooting a pitch, chip or flop shot in this discussion) ...

(1)  Is there a known size of the entire pitch/chip/flop grid?  (You said 8 yards by 8 yards or 24 feet recently ... and prior to that you said 20' by 20').  

(2) what is the purpose of the squares within the grid ... and are they square or just some pretty lines one can trip-out over when stoned?  If the latter, why don't they blink and change colors ... seems that would provide a more psychedelic experience for the stoned virtual golfer?

For me, it doesn't matter.  I have a set routine that I use, just like you do.  In developing my calculator, I took these personal differences into account ... if a player believes the full grid to be 20' by 20', the crosswind power will be different than the player that believes the grid to be 28' by 28'.  It really isn't worth the argument.  If you make birdie on a 15' putt ... is it different than making birdie on a 2' putt?  I just prefer the 2' putt myself.

• localbistro
    237 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 5:03 PM

Help Please,

Is anyone of you WGT golfer that have an ideas of different lies % for landing and rolls for the different lies that we have on RSG, light brush, medium brush...all the brush, and the different weeds lies, please. I try  to caliber my clubs on practice round, after 3 sleeve of balls I find out the practice mode  distances are different of Ranked round. I know different club and balls they have different result but at list I have an idea. Where and how you think I can caliber al my clubs? How I can record that? Please help!!

Thank you very much for your time

Andrea aka  (localbistro)

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 6:40 PM

DaddysKat; I too have always used the putting grid and I've always (and still do) use it as 2 feet = 1 square, that works for me just fine on approaches as well as putting.

What I think (sorry to put words in your mouth Apex if I'm mistaken) Apex is trying to suggest is that the Pitch / Chip grid is a different size to the Putting grid.

i.e. when you're close to the green e.g. in Pitch range then the grid is a different size. Now I have never considered this I've always thought it looks bigger because we're zoomed in on it.

For me the grid is 13 squares by 13 squares each measuring 2ft (excluding the 'open' square on the edges). It works for me so I'll stick to it unless I come across convincing proof to the contrary.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, May 4 2014 7:19 PM

I got it!  Here's what we need.  AIM PAL!  Always centered on the pin, always to scale no matter which view.  Show/hide with a convenient button on the screen...

<donning flame suit to protect from the "feel" players ;o)  )

RSS