Help › Forums

Roll the tiers back or scale the clubs.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 5 2009 10:18 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 11:02 AM

This morning I was upgraded to Pro.  Cool.

However, the tour starter set that I bought is not enough to play from the PRO tees.  For example:  Par 4 5th, Bethpage Black.  Pro tier. 243 to the edge of the fairway.  Driver, already upgraded, 230 max.  15mph tailwind, hit dead on perfect, doesn't make the fairway.

I don't know whether rolling the tiers back to their original settings, and then re-establishing the criteria for PRO and MASTER a bit lower is the answer.... or something as radical as a sliding distance parameter for the individual tier vs. club brand would be.

For example:  If you have purchased the Tour Starter set, perhaps you get 220yds on your driver at HACK, 230 at AMATEUR, 240 at PRO, and 250 at MASTER.  Scaled accordingly.  I for one have not met any Professional golfers whose driving distance was 220.... unless they were using their putter off the tee.

Please do something.  I do enjoy the game of golf, physically and electronically, but as I stated elsewhere, this is now starting to feel less like golf and more like a carnival booth.  3 rings for a dollar anyone?

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2009 12:55 PM

It's my understanding that BP is played by all tiers from the same Pro tees. I have yet to play Kiawah, but I got boosted into the Masters tier from Amature and I'm fully expecting to suddenly start shooting over par with the new tees (and same-ol' clubs).

• Pressto
    56 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 7:51 AM

For some reason the game bumped me to "Master" when I have been fighting to get my average below 70 after being bumped to the Amateur tees.

I have the Tour Starter set of clubs and there is no way I can hit the green in 2 on many par 4's. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

You could scale the club distance with the skill levels, so if you get to amateur you club's get 5yds more with your clubs, pro 10 and master 15. This would more accurately reflect the player skill level better because a good player can still do well with a bad set of clubs.

The other option is maybe make sure the tee boxes match the clubs you have instead of the skill level. 

Just some possible ideas on how to fix this.

• gadawg1
    15 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 9:19 AM

As others have noted., it's next to impossible to reach several of the par 4's with starter clubs.

Instead of increasing distance after the bump to Pro level,  I'm getting considerably less distance.

Also have noticed that putting is very, very different. Putts are coming off the putter at really

weird angles.

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 9:54 AM

I just noticed the bump to pro tier today.  If only I could play as good as a pro!!

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 10:03 AM

For the record, I posted a response elsewhere saying that I feel a little exploited since the new tiers came in, as I have absolutely no chance of competing with the big boys on here any longer unless I purchase the better clubs. There is even a par 3 I can't get near with my driver for heaven's sake. That can't be right can it?

In the real world, making a bigger investment in better equipment will improve your game only slightly, but will never transform it beyond recognition. And even the most bog standard set of clubs should enable you to find all the fairways and greens in regulation if you hit it right.

That is not the case here any longer, and if this site purports to be the most realistic golf game in the world, then that is just not fair.

Sean

• PHILWHO
    1 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 10:11 AM

i agree

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 11:38 AM

We are working to give higher tier players the ability to hit farther.

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 11:45 AM

Again though on the US Open, it doesnt matter what tier you are. Everyone plays bethpage from the same tees

• BleedMarshall
    26 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 12:44 PM

I have not played a game since being moved up several tiers. Tried once and had to opt out due to the conditions being radically changed. Now I just play practice runs. Hahaha!

• PAGES
RSS