Forums

Help › Forums

'Tough-It-Out III': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open THIRD EDITION!

Mon, Oct 28 2013 3:55 PM (614 replies)
  • CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:03 AM

filmslayer:

i noticed something in the course set-up's , typo i'm sure ...

round 2  red ( hard ) tees : round 3 red (easy ) tees .... just pointing it out ...

Red is correct for both. Each course has it's own color code for the tee boxes.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:34 AM

CerinoDevoti:

filmslayer:

i noticed something in the course set-up's , typo i'm sure ...

round 2  red ( hard ) tees : round 3 red (easy ) tees .... just pointing it out ...

Red is correct for both. Each course has it's own color code for the tee boxes.

thank you for the explanation ...

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:37 AM

Corwyn:
    At Olympic we figure that trying Tourney greens for the first time in TIO

i for one am not looking forward to this ...

thanks for explanation ...

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 10:13 AM

filmslayer:

Corwyn:
    At Olympic we figure that trying Tourney greens for the first time in TIO

i for one am not looking forward to this ...

thanks for explanation ...

LOL. I'm the one that came up with the Olympic setup. I figure that's the point of no return so ramping up the putting and green holding difficulty was a must. Just like during the 2012 US Open, if you can get through the first 6 holes in par, you're well ahead of the field. In testing my best was +1 through 6 on Oly with our setup.

For everyone, the setups and course order isn't random. Corwyn and I played some practice rounds with specific ideas in mind regarding the ability of the clubs and the course conditions.

Oakmont: High wind that really is no more than about 19 MPH compared to what a high wind on the British courses could be. Easy holes so we all ease into the comp and the Very Fast Greens because they are very predictable for speed even downhill.

RSG: We went long off the tee to counter the low wind which would be unusual in real life. The green speed is Fast to encourage pin seeking without the ball always rolling off the back of greens.

Olympic: Short tees so we all reach fairways where the kick to the teeth really begins. The Moderate wind on parkland courses is never that high so that's the easiest part off the setup.  Then Tourney green speed so ball placement on approach and possibly having to play away from the hole as a strategy could come into play. I saw that happening during the US Open so I wanted to replicate it if we could. Lights out great putting is going to be a must using the broom stick.

Merion: As a final all the elements come into play. Easy holes only because in testing we got most of the new pin placements by setting it on easy. White tees so it pushes the clubs to the max and makes more than a couple of par 4's take 3 shots to reach. The moderate wind again for parkland courses is the easiest factor. The Fast green speed to hold some of the slopiest greens in the Tourney and help with those long par 4 3rd shot approaches. It also forces us to putt hard and aggressive when our nerves are the most frayed. Playing scared to make a mistake with the final round setup will not work. You gotta go for it a bunch of times to get anything. We wanted it this way so cruising becomes losing.

GL and have fun...

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 5:54 PM

I have now finalized the Player Pairings for Round 1 & 2:

The information below is all also recorded in the first page post (and will be updated there if there are any changes):

PLAYER PAIRINGS:

First, please check this Time Availability spreadsheet online(Depending on what size it displays in your browser, you might need to adjust the View settings.)
    Make sure that the times showing for you are correct. This is very important!!!

Here's an example: right-click to enlarge to enlarge this sample pic

The time boxes you clicked on in the entry form have been conditionally formatted to show in Green for your YES's, and in Yellow for Possible times you can play. (Red is NO, not available). Based on the time zone you gave, everyone's grid has been adjusted to UTC time, which are the times in the column headings... However, in the Green boxes, I've retained a note of the time, in your local time, to make it easier for you to tell when it actually is!

So, in this example, deedles and I have an availability overlap weekdays from 4-7pm UTC (deedles' 12-3pm on the East Coast of the U.S., and my 9am-noon in California).

Find your own player pairing in the spreadsheet, note the overlapping availability times (hopefully in Green, sometimes in Yellow), and take it from there... 

Hopefully, this will be easy to understand. Any questions, please ask in the thread.

PLAYER PAIRINGS FOR ROUNDS 1 & 2:

Corwyn & deedles77

Wesdogg75 & gsprink

Kurtsbuford & Legaci

chrisironsbones & togemag

BogieZed & CerinoDevoti

BigInigoMontoya & bhoese

fredsf & bfghd

Geagle1 & ColumbusStorm

ljbast & seemorehair

GolfingJMan & Timbo1984

jlucky3333 & LOLserver

Macduff10 & filmslayer

MatildaIgaly & DAZZA501

hyena64 & hobbe95

oneeyedjohn & JayO92

GEHL13 & unclenewy

Note that I have paired Gehl and unclenewy together, as both have very unpredictable work schedules. I'm hoping that you can communicate with each other to find times that can work at short notice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What You Will Need to Do:

1. Look at the Time Availability spreadsheet online. Find your Pairing, and see the times that overlap. The best ones will be where both of you are showing YES. Choose a day and time to suggest.

2. Send a Friend Request to your playing partner

3. Wall Post them to explain the Friend Request and schedule a time. For example:

"Tough-It-Out III"
    We're paired together for this tourney. My best time to play that overlaps with yours is xxxx UTC (or xxx your time, xxxx my time). 

4. Please DO NOT just plan on catching your partner with a Green light. This is not a reliable way to get your game in!

5. Any problems connecting, make sure and post them in this thread asap. We have plenty of people willing to be markers if needed (but do really try and connect with your playing partner first). I'll be looking to see signs of step 2 & 3 activity above. 

6. Play golf!!! (and take and post your screenshots, see info below). And yes, it is OK to split up your 18 holes into 2 sets of 9 (just make sure you take all necessary screenshots for both halves).

Thanks, and have fun!!!

Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:10 PM

So, with the player postings now up (see post above), we are now all set to go.

The 1st Round at Oakmont runs from tomorrow, Saturday 9/14 to Sunday 9/22. 

Remember that your round is single-play with your playing partner. Our common practice is to declare in the thread in advance when you plan to play... just so everything is 'above board.'

One thing that came out of prior tourneys was the recommendation that people warm up (if needed) by playing a random 3. That way there's no temptation to treat a warm up as the real thing, or vice versa!

Here is the 1st Round Score Submission link (Oakmont), and please note the Scorecard and Screenshot Posting Guidelines here.

Good luck to you all!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2013 2:38 PM

I am also going to add in another prize sponsorship just before anyone reaches the first tee at Oakmont.

I'll offer a sleeve of player's choice to the player with the Longest total distance of putts made across whole tourney (note winner will need to post their Putting stats tab each round to be eligible; and I'll add in an extra sleeve if the player manages to exceed the winning total achieved by Woodoworkery in TIO2, a stunning 441.67 ft across the 4 rounds: see Putting stats post at the bottom of this page)

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2013 4:42 PM

Hi everyone.

I just have to say something I think everyone would agree - I have yet to see ANYONE go to these lengths including detail and precision to organize a community event.

I want to give a shout out to Corwyn and CerinoDevoti for putting together such a cool event and for organizing this event right down to the finest detail. Just incredible time, effort and dedication. WTG gentlemen.  

• seemorehair
    228 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2013 6:02 PM

Hopreyou dont think they will give you some strokes for this :)

overtheedge:

Hi everyone.

I just have to say something I think everyone would agree - I have yet to see ANYONE go to these lengths including detail and precision to organize a community event.

I want to give a shout out to Corwyn and CerinoDevoti for putting together such a cool event and for organizing this event right down to the finest detail. Just incredible time, effort and dedication. WTG gentlemen.  

RSS