Forums

Help › Forums

Starter Club and Ball Match Play Round 2

Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:04 AM (119 replies)
  • filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2013 2:22 PM

we got our match in . it was very nice to meet Patrick and good match and i thank him for it ...

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:10 PM

The Dazza501 vs Jacktaylor match results . 

A disconnection happened while I was 2 down on number 7 hole. You can't get back in to play a practice round. At best I would have halved the hole and lost.

In conclusion I bow and tip of the hat to Dazza501 and concede the match.

I hope this will suffice in lieu of a scorecard.  

• beaz123
    7 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2013 5:37 PM

WGTdbloshoe:

If any players are unable to set up the match by tomorrow please let me know and I will let you know about the individual round.

- WGTdbloshoe

Sent a friend request and left a wall post with therockdoctor and no reply yet - what's the cutoff time?

Beaz123  

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Jul 11 2013 7:09 PM

For feks sakes, I just read Jack's post and thought what the hell is he doing practice round for, so I re read the rules, and sure enough I see it is practice white tees, standard greens and easy pin.

I have been slogging my guts out playing Beth as ranked, couldn't reach any fairways and was pleased to break 40.

My last effort which I was about to post here was an absolutely beautiful 35, with a bogey on the last.

Have a look...........

Rog ( mantis0014 ) and I have exchanged messages, but I ain't seen him online for a while. I would rather play than just post a scorecard, but we'll see.

How many hours do I have, it is 09;00 AM in Thailand.

Stupid doesn't even come close

*edit* so I am 14 hours ahead of WGT, so presumably I have until 2 PM tomorrow to play or post

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jul 12 2013 4:47 AM

Hi OeJ,

Wow, I'm seriously impressed by your 35! A par ranked round with starters from the tips and tourney greens on BPB b9 is mighty good shooting!!!

----------------------------------------------

So, obviously, the idea of an individual 'ranked strokeplay round' as the backup plan has its flaws:

1. It may no longer be an even playing field (which was one of Shoe's original goals); if the two players are in different tiers they'll be playing from different tees (which can make a huge difference).

2. There's no way to know what equipment has been used at the time of play.

Shoe, I hope you'll allow me to make a couple of suggestions:

If the players have both made a genuine attempt to communicate and connect, then offer these options:

1. Play the round as practice strokeplay with a MARKER instead: post in this forum asking for an available player, outlining the times you can play. There are enough people here that love this challenge that many markers would likely come forward. For full transparency (and to prevent a friend helping a player make multiple attempts at a good score, the player should also post in the thread in advance to indicate when they are playing).

In addition to the scorecard, the player should take a 'bag shot' (see this example below) from one of say, the last 3 holes. That way, there's some proof that can be matched against the scorecard. (To get a bag shot, just hover over the club selection, and then capture with print screen key, or with a Mac, command-control-shift-4). A full pic also shows the playing conditions (ideally, you can do chip view on a green, and then have proof of green speed, wind, and lie conditions as well, all in one shot).

My suggestion would be that the pics be uploaded to a hosting site, and then the links only sent to members@worldgolftour.com for Shoe's attention. That way, the uploads have already been done, and Shoe can post both players pics together more quickly in the forum. (Also, I think we in the community should verify everything is correct, saving Shoe the time and trouble.)

I think it would be most fun if the cards are sent separately to Shoe, and it's only when he posts both players' pics in the forum that the field can see the result. You could even decide to still make it matchplay, based on each player's scores on each hole. (But have a tie-breaker rule in place as well, e.g. best overall score, then most birdies etc).

2. A second option would be to allow the player to play alone (without the verification of a second-party), but then I think you should consider mandating the bag shot for clubs and conditions.

Thanks for reading,

Corwyn

P.S. You may wonder why I'm posting here, not even being in the tourney! I love these Starter events, and was disappointed not to be in this one. I'd happily be a marker if that option is chosen. I was on vacation when this one begun and thought I'd signed up in advance via the previous tourney, but I hadn't been clear enough. Shoe, please do sign me up for the next one. Thanks!

Also, for anyone interested in future Starter play, watch out for a Tough-It-Out special event, a Merion US Open, with starters and uneven lies, in late summer, early autumn.

• jimoldfart
    131 Posts
    Fri, Jul 12 2013 6:41 AM

Posted on Mccoult 55 wall still no reply.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jul 12 2013 8:38 AM

oneeyedjohn:

Rog ( mantis0014 ) and I have exchanged messages, but I ain't seen him online for a while. I would rather play than just post a scorecard, but we'll see.

How many hours do I have, it is 09;00 AM in Thailand.

This is a bit unfair 1i....    I see you you on eveynight except for tnite (Fri Aussie time)... and being friends for ages.... I see you on most nights... go figure.   You have to invite me...   getting sick of being green with Starter clubs....lol

• jimoldfart
    131 Posts
    Fri, Jul 12 2013 9:13 AM

I have been unable to contact opponet. I have played a round as instructed but dont know how to save scorecard and forward please help!!!!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, Jul 12 2013 9:27 AM

Hi Jim,

So, here's my step-by-step way to get scorecards:

1. Take a screengrab:

I use a Mac, so I can do a keystroke combo (command-control-shift-4) to get a hairline cursor that I can select any area I want (allows you to get the card minus ads etc.) On a PC, PrintScrn does the job, and perhaps there are other ways to crop as you take the grab.

2. Find/Save the image you just made. On a Mac it goes into the clipboard; I think on a PC, PrintScrn saves to Desktop. So, I open up Preview, the bog-standard image program on a Mac, paste the image, actually new doc creates it from clipboard, and save as .jpg or .png, it doesn't matter which.

3. Open up your hosting site in a browser: e.g. http://img.acianetmedia.com/ 

I like this site because no account is needed. Use its file navigation to get your pic, then hit upload. Once it's uploaded you'll get a 'Direct Copy' link to the file, copy that and then...

4. come into the Forum thread that you need to post in. Use the 'filmstrip' icon in the middle of the formatting bar of the 'Reply' window. It brings up the 'Insert Media' screen: paste in your URL from the hosting site. Adjust the Width to 450 (instead of 550) and then it will fit nicely into the post. Leave the height as blank. Click insert and there you have it!

Of course, if you're just sending the pic as an email attachment to Shoe, then you don't need the last 2 steps.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Corwyn

RSS