Forums

Help › Forums

Buying Clubs - A guide from Hack to Master

Mon, Sep 3 2012 7:38 AM (37 replies)
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Fri, Aug 20 2010 10:11 AM

ligerwoods62:

nice guide!  however, i got pro rapture irons, hybrid, 3 wood, driver, etc. when i was a pro.  i was only a pro for a few days and it took me all of 4 days to become a master but i find that if you're a solid player you can still shoot very low scores with pro clubs off the master tees.  the only change i made is buying the g10 master driver.  i now carry 2 drivers, the g10 provides more distance when i need length and the rapture is all about precision.  i removed my hybrid to take in the second driver and i don't miss it at all.  it just depends on what style of golf you play.   

I have to admit to switching to the Pro Rapture irons on the occasions where I am struggling with my timing. But in general the G10s are far superior imho. Each to their own tho :)

• Darngoodnut
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 4:56 PM

Great post, just turned Pro today....... Gotta save up for some better clubs and this is exactly I needed as far as advice.

• Rickypro
    559 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:16 PM

I wish I had started playing WGT again a couple of months ago!  I just turned Master about 5 minutes ago but it will be awhile before I can get that R9!!

Still having fun though.

• Lexdyslic
    66 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 3:49 AM

i've progressed from lvl 20 Pro, to lvl 43 master since the changes a few weeks ago. 

I'm still unable to buy any Masters length clubs!!

I've just played a legend, who now have available legend length balls. Fair enough, but these players are equipped with Top of the line clubs. it's just a joke. 

I was not one of the lucky ones to own superior clubs before the changes. I've worked hard on my game, spending time and money on the flash balls to give me enough distance to play a decent round. 

Your guide is great, but until WGT start unlocking relevant clubs to relevant tiers, it's just useless. 

I've earned my Master status, and not only expect, but demand the correct equipment!

Cranky old Lex.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:57 AM

Don't expect better clubs to solve all your problems though. Most people find their average goes up for quite a while after purchasing them.

• Fubbik
    4 Posts
    Sat, Oct 2 2010 2:38 AM

Lex, everyone going up the tiers these days is in the same spot as you are. No way to compete with the older players unless you level to like 66+ or something :(

And yes, this guide is obsolete nowadays (unfortunately).

• DuffyWaldorf
    286 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 9:04 AM

Obviously the good Drivers are now out of range

My suggestion is to go for a decent 3W...You can use it off the tee if you wish and where you'll need it most on the longer holes...the fairway

My 1st purchase ,way back when, was the Tour Pro 3W selling for 225 cr. of course when i bought it ,it was only 120 cr  It outdrove my Starter Driver and gave me the added distance from the fairway to reach the green.

Sure the big stick is great but you cant hit it off the deck.  Now with the big stick out of reach, rethinking shot stragedy might help.

Happy Golfing

Joe

• 1fastR
    12 Posts
    Mon, Oct 4 2010 6:12 AM

OK, so I just turned pro about a week ago and I am definitely seeing that I need a few better clubs.  From reading this I keep the starter irons and upgrade the driver, putter and a couple of wedges?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 4 2010 8:52 AM

It's different for everybody, fastR. The new level requirements for a lot of the better clubs is something you need to check out first.  Some of the clubs that are the best choice might not be available to you yet but would be in a few levels.

Your best bet would be to play as you are for a few levels, or as long as you need to to level up and as you do you'll see where you need the most help-driving, wedging or putting. Then you can set your sights on whichever club will help you most. Generally speaking, you're going to lower your scores faster by putting so that might be the first upgrade. GL

• 1fastR
    12 Posts
    Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:03 PM

Thanks for the info.  I can tell one thing already, I am having trouble reaching the fairway fo there is much wind.  My putting stinks, but that is nothing new.  :)

By the way....

Lets go Yankees!

RSS