New Player Saddled with 150 Average Score

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 24 2013 6:25 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 11:44 AM

MarkTwainWhite:
    I completed my first round at St. Andrews and my average score has dropped to 80. whoohoo.

And another future legend was born...

Have fun.

R.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 2:59 PM

WOW, another prodigy. One round and you go from 150 to 80. Just 14 more strokes off and you have me beat after almost 2000 rounds and 3 years and hundreds of dollars. Most important, enjoy the game and make friends.

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 3:23 PM

One suggestion that I would have for you Mark is to achieve your average by playing equally on all the courses.  Don't become a St Andrews or Kiawah tour master who gets his average only by playing those courses, once you become a legend those courses aren't so easy.   This isn't a race to make legend quicker, it is a game that is best learned over all the courses before you get to a level that you can't compete in.

Happy golfing.   There are many good golfers on here that will gladly give you hints and talk to you about how to progress, make friends with them.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 10:49 PM

TarheelsRule:

One suggestion that I would have for you Mark is to achieve your average by playing equally on all the courses.  Don't become a St Andrews or Kiawah tour master who gets his average only by playing those courses

Very good advice.  You see so many players who play all their rounds at one of these courses and have no idea how to play any of the others.

Courses like Oakmont or Bethpage will seem impossible when you start out but keep playing them, that'S the only way you'll learn how to get the best out of them.  It will be frustrating at first but you'll learn them over time. 

And as everyone else has already said, have fun.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, May 24 2013 12:43 AM

+1 to all!

I used to play all the monthlies and weeklies "when I was younger".

Special mentioning of the monthly unlimited 18 holers, a different one each time.

While I was scarcely in the top group, I'd watch my own course awards and try to gain the next one. Quite motivating to try and understand the courses, to do some course management dependent on the clubs I played.

Of course you need the time and patience to play 18 holes...

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, May 24 2013 3:18 AM

Keep playing st.andrews, that makes the average go down fairly quick

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, May 24 2013 3:39 AM

What would be a possible result?

- quick tier-up at low level. Master would be crucial IMHO.

- need for equipment=> spend credits

- equipment not available to level => need for level-up bars => more credits

=>=> more revenue for WGT.

Who is your employer dev? (kidding)

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Fri, May 24 2013 6:25 AM

devonnnnn:

Keep playing st.andrews, that makes the average go down fairly quick

True, but the worst advice ever. Alosso already explained why.

R.

• PAGES
RSS