Help › Forums

New Player Saddled with 150 Average Score

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 24 2013 6:25 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MarkTwainWhite
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 2:21 PM

Hi folks I signed up for WGT a couple of days ago. i worked thru the video tutorials on how to play the game. Unfortunately there was no guide that I could find about easing into playing so I signed up for the US Open Qualifier and took my first strokes there. After three holes of ten strokes each (putting is a killer) I simply abandoned the round. Now when I come in I am already saddled with an average score of 150. Not a great place to start my WTG career from. Is there any recourse for getting that aborted totally inept part of a round from soiling what might have been a brilliant career?

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 2:24 PM

MarkTwainWhite:

Hi folks I signed up for WGT a couple of days ago. i worked thru the video tutorials on how to play the game. Unfortunately there was no guide that I could find about easing into playing so I signed up for the US Open Qualifier and took my first strokes there. After three holes of ten strokes each (putting is a killer) I simply abandoned the round. Now when I come in I am already saddled with an average score of 150. Not a great place to start my WTG career from. Is there any recourse for getting that aborted totally inept part of a round from soiling what might have been a brilliant career?

First off welcome to WGT.  The average of 150 is what everyone starts off at.  It will go down after your first ranked round.  I would suggest starting off with a few practice rounds on St. Andrews.  It is pretty wide open so won't be a ton a rough to worry about.

- WGTdbloshoe

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 2:40 PM

Pardon me, but a practice round won't bring the average down.

@Mark: Avoid the Open Qualifier, its set-up is mighty difficult, from the tips, if not impossible for Starters. If you wanna play Merion, play a different round. Play any other tournament or ranked round and finish(!) and your average will move.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 2:50 PM

alosso:

Pardon me, but a practice round won't bring the average down.

@Mark: Avoid the Open Qualifier, its set-up is mighty difficult, from the tips, if not impossible for Starters. If you wanna play Merion, play a different round. Play any other tournament or ranked round and finish(!) and your average will move.

I know, that why I put in first ranked round but to start off with a practice round.

- WGTdbloshoe

• MarkTwainWhite
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 4:51 PM

WGTdbloshoe,

Ahhh. Thanks for that understanding. I suggest there be a tutorial document that explains just what you shared with me and any other tips good beginner's tips on the macro part of the World Tour Golf. Maybe call it" WGTdbloshoe's Little Green Book". Grin.

• MarkTwainWhite
    11 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 4:54 PM

Good to know. Thanks a bunch.

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 8:04 PM

MTW...  First ,  your post made me smile ,  you have a good attitude :)....      We (me)   all started  and had to  learn to play this difficult game   ,    i learned from  making 10 bad shots  for one good one  and luck was involved there lolll  .   Patience  and practice ......    play stroke play games,  your level  if you can , (((US Open Qualifier   is verry  difficult ))) for a starter  ,  play easyer course you like ,   your avarage will come down fast .....     most of all have fun  .

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 12:38 AM

Most of all I wouldn't worry about average too much. Aborting bad rounds gains no xp points. xp points you need most of all to level up, so the better clubs come available to you. With those better clubs it is very likely the average will drop anyway.

For every tier there is only the best x number of rounds that count towards your average, so bad rounds will at some point be replaced by better rounds.

R.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 3:00 AM

Hi Mark, not much I can say that hasn't been said, but I agree, don't concern yourself with the average as it will come down in time.

I like your attitude and see you will like this game and your post made me smile and think back to when I started - as yet I still haven't managed to kick start a brilliant career, maybe I am just a slow learner lol, but I do love playing the game. You form friendships with people all over the world, have some laughs (often at my expense) and very occasionally (well virtually daily) wonder why the heck do we like this game.

The important thing is to enjoy the game, make sure you read the Putting and chipping tips under the FAQ and read the forums - there is a wealth of information in here.

The other really good news is, your scoring will only get better :))

• MarkTwainWhite
    11 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 5:57 AM

MarkTwainWhite:

Thanks to all of you that have given me good advice. I completed my first round at St. Andrews and my average score has dropped to 80. whoohoo.

• PAGES
RSS