Forums

Help › Forums

ranking requirements?

Sun, Jul 25 2010 2:06 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jonnywahoo
    19 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 1:08 AM

can anyone tell me what average is required to achieve master status?

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:47 AM

below 65. but be careful what you wish for. make sure you are prepared

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:05 AM

Hi Jonny,

Yeh - its around that high 65 mark.

One word of warning, and I'm not criticing here - I'm just saying. Dont play too many 9 hole rounds - thats the quickest way to get to the master tier, but imo it doesnt prepare you for the real deal - The Master Tier !! Then the frustration sets in when you cant score like you use too.

Play plenty of 18 hole ranked rounds, practice heaps learn all the shots and you will eventually get to master when the times right.

So - dont be in any rush, learn the basics first. Then you can slowly upgrade your clubs and work your way up.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Doug

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 8:24 AM

Excellent advice there Doug.  I've found that many pros really hit the wall hard once they moved up to master tier !  Simply a case of going too fast too soon !  Like someone mentioned here before, it only takes 1-2 very good rounds and your average would drop significantly and that can happen easily especially with 9 holes round.  Just take your time and learn to play all the different shot types and make sure that you have a high percentage for saves when you're in trouble cause you'll get in plenty from the back master tees.

Remember moving up through the tiers is a progression of your game not a race !! Enjoy :-)

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:16 AM

Very good advice.  I have noticed that my play on 18 is never better than on 9, or at least rarely.  Probably trying to concentrate for that long isn't good for me.

I have suggested to WGT that they figure out a way to only have the 9 hole round count as a half round but this appears difficult.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 12:26 PM

Its not just playing 9 holes, but which 9 holes you are playing.  If I wanted to make master I would play St Andrew front 9, Kiaw back 9 over and over.  But if I play the full 18 my score is taking in a harder 9 as well so my score is often higher.  So as mentioned dont just play 9 holes, play 18 holes, and if you dont have that time then play all the 9 holes, not just 1 or 2.  Saw one guy who played like 8 st andrews front in a row 9, 30, 31, 30, 30..... and so on.  My guess that they would shoot at best a 34 on Bethpage front and probably 36 on the back.

• KnuckleWoods
    2,482 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:47 AM

Every tier has it's own challenges  Each course has it's challenges I have played with some of the best players on WGT and have learnt from all of them.  I have a very good friend now who give's me very good advice so when you get to a certain level and need help find someone who can help you out when you need it

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:54 AM

@Tarheels

Hi - Yes agree totally. My 18 hole rounds are rarely better than my 9 hole rounds - which I rarely play now anyway.

A great idea for the 9 hole round to count 50% - that would be more realistic. Instead of the current X 2 factor.

The full 18 holes can be quite a grind at times, concentration is the issue I think. My head hurts if I concentrate too hard - what does that mean ?  lolol.

Cheers

Doug

• Dwizzz101
    23 Posts
    Sun, Jul 25 2010 10:55 AM

You guys must have a lot of time on your hands. It usually takes me 3 starts to get a live game with someone who doesn't quit or will load properly and I find 9 to be a grind normally. I play the font nine at Beth almost exclusively so I don't think I have to worry to much about reaching the Master level. I'm very happy as a pro as I play for the fun and comraderie.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Jul 25 2010 11:13 AM

It's tough to get the same results on 18 holes than it is on just 9. I play good on the front, but not the back, or vice/versa.

Sometimes I can split the 18 holes and play each 9 separate and not do to bad. It's weird not to be able to replicate it on the full 18. Maybe it's nerves.  : )

• PAGES
RSS