links 2003

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:34 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:51 AM

hi all

i was wondering if any wgt players play links 2003 ?

i came across this game the other day after watching a you tube clip.

the game looked alot better then it used too and i thought id go and get it.

i bought it at 29 dollars ---19 pounds along with 47 courses

now ive stumbled across a website that give theses courses out for free.

now ive got a list of well, ive lost count to be honest 

agusta national

sawgrass

olympic

pine valley (my fav at the mo)

river highlands

doral

east lake

torrey pines

shinnecocks

muirfield

lytham st annes

The list goes on forever and i would be hear all day to type them all.

the graphics are never going to be as good as wgt but the physics are great , fun and relaxing to play.

only down fall is i cant find much online activity and im new to this game.

any one else play this game to hook up with ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 6:43 AM

I played it for 10+ years when it was strong and well before WGT. I have over 200 courses, including those you mentioned, that were all free downloads from what used to be called Country Club Corner, IIRC. The courses all put TruGolf to shame and the game engine was extremely efficient. Every game was an uneven lie game, you really had to understand golf to do well. Everybody used the same equipment and the competition was very realistic.

MIB  (Men in Black) is one of the oldest Links clubs around. They are still active and you might pay them a visit to get what you're looking for. They were one of the 10-12 really strong clubs in the beginning along with the likes of Netscape Navigator, Just Tours, Tour Spies (TS_YankeeJim) and Case's Ladder was a great ladder site, complete with a live meeting room. It was like what you see when you search for a game here only you got to see everybody that was looking and which games needed players.

I would love for WGT to take a page or three out of the Links Tour book. GL in your pursuit.

p.s., I still think WGT trumps, faults and all.  ;-)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 6:44 AM

I recently reloaded Links 2001 on my Windows 7 laptop and it works! Only problem I have is sometimes a stray click registers while swinging so I wind up using a few mulligans every round. I'm hoping a new mouse will resolve the problem but that's not in the budget until next month.

I have always liked the game. Right now, though, even if we could play linking my 2001 version against your 2003 version I don't want to do it until I have the mouse bug fixed.

YJ is correct....there are still a few Links groups online. Search and I'm sure they would love to have a new member join their ranks.

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:31 PM

thanks for the replies

yea ive just played whistler straights , agusta and merion in HD :)

does seem theres a strong force out there still building courses and some look fantastic.

yea yankee jim i think ive close to 150 courses now which most are free like 103 of them :)

great game for a casual stroll not worring about loosing balls or my average still cant beleive how good the physics are .

if wgt had only a quarter of the courses ive played today on my day off work woow what a game it would be .

well im off to play agusta in HD

:)

happy hitting

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:34 PM

srellim234:
    I have always liked the game. Right now, though, even if we could play linking my 2001 version against your 2003 version I don't want to do it until I have the mouse bug fixed.

thx for reply say there seems to be a strong force still producing courses in HD

of course there not wgt standard but some are just as good as cabo on here

and all these courses to play for free plus clubs and avatars edit your wedges and irons 

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:30 PM

YankeeJim:
    I played it for 10+ years when it was strong and well before WGT

I did about 6 years of it, Links LS was the "Microsoft Golf" shipped with Win95.

I still have a box with around 40 course discs.

YankeeJim:
    Every game was an uneven lie game, you really had to understand golf to do well.

Yes, but you could adjust your stance and club face, apply draw and  fade  all seperately

Was difficult for us in Australia to play MultiPlayer online, back then our dial up was at best 56k

You could chose course sounds, 'championship' 'weekend' 'comedy'.

"It's in the tree Jim"

YankeeJim:
    and Case's Ladder

Remember it well! Wow, memories.

YankeeJim:
    I would love for WGT to take a page or three out of the Links Tour book

I wonder if WGT were even aware of Links LS when they put this together. So so many basic things overlooked here  in comparison.

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:30 PM

played agusta national on links and was amazing

these guys who make the new courses have stepped it up a gear

played the 12th par 3 thought i hit a great shot on the green only for the ball to roll back to the fringe which in this case the ball didnt stop on the fringe but rolled right back into the water.

fantasic

played merion a few times that course will be a blast here on wgt a really great course

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:01 AM

mmikkeelee:
    played agusta national on links and was amazing

Amazing isn't the word. One year in the Masters I took the time to follow Tiger Woods' every shot in one of the televised  rounds, shot by shot while in the game. The mulligan feature made it easy to do and it was a really accurate look at what he was going through. Great fun.  :-)

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 10:08 AM

this the video that made me go and buy lol :)

• nic1169
    1 Posts
    Fri, Sep 12 2014 4:30 AM

hey

at last someone who plays links 2003.

would love to tee up a game.

dont know how we would go about it now . i played all the time years ago through direct connection.

sure we can sort something out.

regards

nic

• PAGES
RSS