Forums

Help › Forums

judging distance.

Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:33 AM (47 replies)
  • overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 1:27 AM

I use the putter movements as my ruler, as per the distance control sticky.  Gets me close in most situations unless i have to use the 150 ft increment (i'm not so good with that as the movements on that increment are uneven).

With the irons, i've just been guessing.  Probably oughta look at iron movements more but they're usually harder to calculate in time before the ding shrinks.

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Wed, Jul 28 2010 3:49 PM

The idea of the meter strip is to remove the guesswork, you can calculate the distance you want to hit, then accurately make the distance. There is still some judgement involved, and as was mentioned its not entirely linear, but with some practice I find it MUCH more effective than guessing how much 83% is....

And I know the point on the meter to hit BEFORE I start swinging, meaning no time lost watching the backswing....

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 5:35 AM

JuanMendoza:

The idea of the meter strip is to remove the guesswork, you can calculate the distance you want to hit, then accurately make the distance. There is still some judgement involved, and as was mentioned its not entirely linear, but with some practice I find it MUCH more effective than guessing how much 83% is....

And I know the point on the meter to hit BEFORE I start swinging, meaning no time lost watching the backswing....

So when you play golf on a real course, do you have a second caddy to carry your meter strip?

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 6:16 AM

It would be useful if WGT amended the meter to indicate 25%, 50% and 75% along its length. 

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 8:26 AM

AlaCowboy... the newer bags have a pouch for the meter strip.  Along with a pocket for the default starter balls.

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:19 PM

Does a caddy ever suggest which club to use, or how far to hit?

Purists please ignore this idea.....

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 11:49 AM

I've never seen anyone post that you shouldn't count avatar movements. What is the objection to a meter strip? They amount to exactly the same thing.

• cappy123
    39 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:01 PM

omg are you people serious do you bring a 500ft tape when playing for real,if we have to resort to this there is something seriously wrong here

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 3:41 PM

It would help if the meter speed was constant. you have reaction time from when your brain says ok and you click the mouse and the time it works. speeding up the meter changes this time and I many times am short or long on the meter--its frustrating. Yep I even tried using a ruler laid against the screen but that wasn't effective either. there has to be a better way. for you 'experts" this ISN'T real golf-----------its a game.

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:21 PM

echoing what others are saying about "feel".

you can gauge fairly accurately the distance you need to hit with elevation/wind/etc., but you can take all that into account and on a hole like BP#11, you'll hit it perfectly and barely make the front of the green.  it takes lots of logged hours to get used to your clubs, the wind, elevation, spin, AND how to manage each hole and how each green acts.

RSS