Forums

Help › Forums

quitters during ranked games

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 31 2010 9:39 PM (9 replies)
  • simon36
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 3:49 PM

Over the last few days I have started playing 15 ranked group matches with between 4 and 2 players, unfortunatly i have only completed 2 of these games. I understand that occasionally 1 or 2 players may have connection issues, but for it too happen so many times is becoming increasingly annoying, especially as a lot of the times it happens on the final hole as the player who quits is unable to win. This means that the ranking has become void. Also if, as i have you have purchased golf balls with limited life u have wasted alot by playing. I would like to see any player who is quit on during a ranking match automatically awarded the win, therefore this will reduce the number of players quitting to protect there own rank just because they are loosing and also it will improve the ranking of the player who is willing to remain playing.

I am unaware if this is happenning to anyone else, but i find it hard to believe that it is just bad luck on my behalf.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:00 PM

Hi Simon,

If you are playing a Match Play game then the opponent automatically forfeits after disconnecting from the match 3 times. Match play is a "versus" mode and wins/losses are kept, so we will penalize the player for disconnecting on you.

Ranked Stroke Play is not a "versus" mode and no win/loss tallies are kept.  Ranked Stroke Play (even in a group) is just pitting the the player(s) against the course instead of against each other.  "Ranked" just means that the stats are kept and your scoring average is adjusted when the round is posted. 

Other than providing an inconvenience nothing is gained or lost by you if someone else disconnects on you during a ranked stroke play game.  You always have the option to finish out the round yourself in single player, so your time spent is not wasted.

We are working on a reputation tracking option that will help players avoid those who like to disconnect on a frequent basis.  With its implementation you'll know what to expect from a player before you tee off and you will be able to make better decisions about whom you play with.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:05 PM

Wish there was a Reputation Tracker for the girls I date.  

• Navyaq
    20 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:39 PM

There is... and you should read some of the stuff they're saying about you!

• SteadiEddie
    15 Posts
    Sat, Jul 10 2010 4:55 PM

Every game that is forfeited should carry a penalty.You just don't walk off the course and leave your mates,It would help those who have a problem with so called "cheating" as well.If everyone posted every time, some scores would be more real.I see that some people get frustrated with their scores,me too,but at least if you post all rounds you can really enjoy the game and not fool yourself about how good you really are.

• TigerWeeds
    5 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 3:48 PM

Here's a just and fair idea to consider in addition to the reputation tracker .

If someone quits a ranked round then have the computer simply add their current strokes per hole average times the number of holes left and post the score.  

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 5:12 PM

TigerWeeds:
    If someone quits a ranked round then have the computer simply add their current strokes per hole average times the number of holes left and post the score.
    Great idea... then the sandbaggers would only have to play one bad hole, then quit, to keep their average up...

No thanks.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 5:20 PM

I kinda like the idea of getting a birdie on the first hole... and then quitting.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:39 PM

lmao      now that would be interesting.  Or  if  say  you are -5  at #6 and get a bogey  it would benifit you to quit then.

• pattonto
    63 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 9:39 PM

There are pros & cons to every argument.

On a real golf course, you are playing real elements.

On wgt it is a virtual world and we are faced with slow downloads, and other internet related issues.

I believe that if the game is playing true,and the meter is behaving then I will shoot a reasonable to good score. Sometimes the meter is behaving so erratically that it becomes a guessing game. This is not a true reflection of your ability or average.

If you are having problems such as these and you are polite and advise your opponent that you intend not to post due to these issues then I do not see a problem. Most players I play understand and accept it. I would play along up until the final putt and then forfeit. This way you have enjoyed each others company for the complete round barring 1 putt.

RSS