Help › Forums

Can I hit a driver off the deck

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 15 2009 1:01 PM (30 replies)
  • PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2009 9:29 AM

Now?

I was on #2 at Kiawah after hitting my drive and club selection was again my driver.  I don't know if this was a bug or if I could really hit it without the "Driver Off The Deck" penalty.

Can somebody let me know?

Pete

• FreddyFox
    60 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2009 1:48 AM

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2009 5:51 AM

Dear Freddy,

Of course I can do that......so can you!

I'll try to explain more clearly.  The default club for my 2nd shot was the driver, not the 3 wood.  That was the first time I've ever seen that and I've played quite a few rounds.  So my question essentially was "Is this a bug or an actual new option that I have?"

I don't want to select a driver from a 3 wood.  I've done that with terrible results.  So has anybody else seen this phenomenon of a driver default for the 2nd shot on a par 5?

Pete

• Schirmer
    11 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2009 7:35 AM

I tried it...with miserable results.

• elis2008
    21 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 9:14 PM

thats happend to me and it didnt work very well

• jbowles824
    67 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 8:06 AM

I guess it takes a video game for people to expect they should be able to do something that most of us cannot do in real life. Go out on a fairway and try it. Most of us cannot do it . Most of the time at least.

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 8:24 AM

@jbowles - I have hit a drive off the fairway in real life.  It's an enlogated 3 wood.  Swing with the driver's swing but sweep like a 3 wood.

@Freddy - I beg to differ but I don't consider the question frivolous.  I consider it to be a legitimate question.  If WGT chooses not to reply, I don't mind.  If I ever get a default driver on the 2nd shot I'll try it.  If it doesn't work, I'll report it as a bug because if WGT doesn't allow a driver to be hit off the fairway, it should never default and they should write code to prevent it from defaulting. 

It has been my experience that WGT does indeed take the time and effort to research purported bugs.  That's why they're good and why this game is good.  They pay attention to detail.

Pete

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 4:09 PM

My caddie?  There's only one caddie and it's WGT.  Do I trust it? No.  But if my caddie hands me a driver on the 2nd shot I have to consider if I can make it or not.  I feel you're being presumptuous in advising me to do this or do that.  That's not the point.

Yes, I know WGT is busy with other things.  What has that got to do with my question as regards this issue?  I said.  I don't mind if they don't respond.  You brought up my exact point.  I AM saying WGT shoud write code to prevent a default driver on the 2nd shot if they deny ANY driver on the 2nd shot success.

As regards 208 yards, that's a 3 wood so your premise is without foundation.  I don't care which club my WGT caddie suggests.  I care that it suggests a clud the WGT has proscribed as unhittable and question why my caddie would suggest such a club when WGT rules forbid hitting a driver offl the deck.

Would you please stop telling me what it is WGT has to do and what their priorities are?  I'm well aware they're busy.  But I'd very much like that you actually address the issue rather than clouding it in in your perception of what WGT has to do.  You have no idea of what they have to do.  Only your perception.

I just want to know if a driver defaults on a 2nd shot to a par 5, is it a bug or not?  If you can answer that without a bunch of gobblygook and without telling me "Check it out for yourself." I'd very much appreciate it.

That's ALL I want to know.  OK?

I don't care if you think it's not a big deal.  I want an answer to my question.  Simple question.  Is it a bug or not?  That's all I want to know.

I don't want to fight with you either but I'm beginning to get peeved over your lack of understanding.  You don't speak for WGT.  How can you interpret what or how they will respond?  How can you say you know that with wich they're busy?  And how can you tell me it's 'not a big deal' based on your percption of their priorities? 

You complain to me about what you think is my reporting of a possible bug as miniscule and 'unworthy'?  Know what?  I'll perservere and you, sir, are no longer worthy of my time.  I'd rather play golf than discourse with you on this subject.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 11:09 AM

Hi Pete, we'll look into this. Thanks

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 11:36 AM

I think it might just be a bug Pete.  There was a time I was carrying the PING driver and TS driver for comparison.    The PING driver was in my 3w's position and I believe it would default to the 3W slot whenever 3W distance was called upon.

This was a little while ago, so I may not remember everything correctly, but I do understand what you mean.

RSS