Help › Forums

Wedges - Help me

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:32 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ghazan316
    40 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:56 AM

Hey everyone. Bear with me. Ok, so here's the question and the context in which I ask it:

'How accurate are pro/master wedges on partial swings?'

Context:

I currently have the 64 degree TM pro wedge (50 yards), and the tour pro 54 degree WGT wedge (85 yards). Now if i get anything between 15-50 yards. i can inseatd of chipping and pitching, just play a partial full shot and get it within 2 yards 90% + of the time with my TM 64 degree wedge. But anything between 52-75 yards is a nightmare as the tour pro wgt 54 degree wedge (85 yards) does not seem to be accurate on partial full swings.

It's almost a given that i'll have to settle for a par on good drives that leave me that particular range of distance (52-75 yards). I'm considering purchasing the 60 degree TM or ping pro wedge (77 and 75 yards respectively). But then that will leave me with a huge gap between 75-105 yards (tour pro wgt iron set 105-195 yards).

So, if the TM and Ping wedges are indeed accurate (like the 50 yard 64 degree TM wedge) on partial full shots, then i can purchase the 58 degree TM or ping  pro wedges (86 and 85 yards respectively) and it'll solve all my problems. Otherwise it seems that i will have to live with at least one HUGE gap in my distances.

I know this must be long and boring,  but i'm hoping for an answer to my basic question, as well as advice from the old-timers (i've been here for 2 months only). Especially people like YankeeJim, BIB, Avatarlee, thelighterdark... guys who always have good answers. Thank you, God bless.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:30 AM

My experience, I hate partial shots.  I have my wedges set for full swings or full punches from 49yds to 98yds with gaps from 5yds to 13yds.  Under that I have flop shots in the 30+yd range.  Experiment with different shot types, dont just rely on full swing, partial % meter.

• pardog06
    53 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:36 AM

Imo the master wedges are dead on :) But you have to rember that things like useing half of a 90yrd wedge is 45yrds but since ball wont go as far nor as high backs spin will be less so your bounce and run will end up considerbaly further than useing full shot..The distances are solid but you need a good general understanding of trajectory green hight and how much spin is lost do to not swinging full..Hope this helps :)

Pardog06

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:20 AM

Ghazan316:
    'How accurate are pro/master wedges on partial swings?'

Very. Pardog is right but you should know that the degree of partial is not directly proportional to the resulting yardage. By that I mean with an 85 yard wedge a 90% swing doesn't get you exactly 76 yards so don't think in those terms. Think of learning the different shots with that wedge to control your yardage.

For instance, that wedge is rated to go 71 yards as a punch. Punches roll out at the end so you might get 73-74 yards out of a full swing. Backspin will keep you under 71. A partial swing (95%) might get you 68 with a roll to 71. Topspin and backspin affect this. The idea is to learn the particular shot so your yardage coverage has as few gaps as possible ( a gap being 10-15 yds.)

You have decent low end coverage with those 2 wedges. 86   71  50  41  31  27  15  13  6 using all the shot modes. Your 86 will cover 15 yards real easy with partial (85-95) swings. The punch at 71 easily covers 55-70, again with partial swings and spin.

It's just a matter of taking advantage of all of the shots you have to use. Try to use a mode that lets you take as full a swing as possible. A helpful way to map a club is to watch the club head at the top of the swing. As you move away from the full position the club actually "steps" down. Figure out how much each one of those "steps" affects the yardage and you will have a convenient reference to the amount of partial to apply. Hope this helps. GL

• Ghazan316
    40 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:32 AM

Thank you for the reply guys, Should've also included your name mr neildiamond.

Yankeejim, I understand that different shots come in handy and it's a bad idea generally to hit anything with less than 75% power. I also understand what you're saying about different shots. Punch i'm still learning as it rolls out generally to more than 80 yards, even with back spin (pro WGT 54 degree wedge doesnt have much spin anyway).

I also understand partial shots not having as much spin and a 95% shot not necessarily meaning the exact 95% of the club's max distance. I have figured those things out as i said, i can get anything between 15-50 yards within 2 yards, 

My point was not that it's my go-to shot... but my point was that i've been able to figure these things out with this particular club. I guess my question is now more about whether i can learn this with a 58 degree TM or ping, just like i have with my 64 degree TM.  and if i can, then should i go for  a 75-77 yard 60 degree wedge or the 58 degree  85-86 yard wedge? Consider all my yardage gaps here please.

- 64 degree TM (50 yards, 41 punch, 15 flop, 13 pitch, 6 chip)

- WGT pro 54 degree  (85 yards, 72 punch, 32 flop, 27 pitch, 13 chip) -punch roll very inconsistent, and only an above 95% full shot gives consistent learn-able results. Overall the club that i have a major issue with.

- WGT pro iron set PW (105 yards, 91 punch, 36 pitch, 20 chip) - has me covered between 90-105 yards.

Thank you again for your time. look forward to some advice :)

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:18 AM

All i can say in this is that wedges involve alot of practice and time, once you learn the arc and how to plan on the right amount of release your wedges will be your best friend. Good  luck on the greens

-King

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:19 PM

I have tried them all, and each one has its own personality beyond just the distance considerations. I currently use 105, 85 and 50 yard wedges in conjunction with the G10 Master irons. I utilize all of the shot options and this line-up seems to cover my spectrum. But I am used to them and believe I am missing added value by not spending more time with the other wedges and their options. I just haven't had the time to do so. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:20 PM

Ghazan316:
    should i go for  a 75-77 yard 60 degree wedge or the 58 degree  85-86 yard wedge?

By all means the 77 yard wedge. That and the 64 wedge are the only 2 clubs I never change. It punches 63 and I use it all the way down to 55, depending on wind and landing area. That combo pretty much nails every scenario from 80 to the green. (The other 2 wedges I carry depend on the clubs I'm using. I switch from Pings to TMs at SA and then carry the 110 Satin with the 98 Satin. With Pings I use 105 and 90 Satins.)

Keep in mind, I'm set up for max spin and distance by the club and ball attributes. This is where the SD ball makes a big difference for me.

• Ghazan316
    40 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:25 PM

YankeeJim:
    By all means the 77 yard wedge. That and the 64 wedge are the only 2 clubs I never change. It punches 63 and I use it all the way down to 55, depending on wind and landing area

I guess it's about the precision rating of the club, the partial shots that is. What do you think?

So what do i do about 80-105 then? cuz my WGT pro iron set PW is 105, and is again, not high on precision like the club i'd be replacing by buying the TM 60 degree satin(77 yards) which is wgt pro 54 degree wedge (85 yards).

Do you think i'd be able to nail every scenario from 52-87 yards if i buy the 58 degree TM satin (86 yards) or do you think i'd pretty much need the 60 degree 77 yard satin?

This will be the last time i'll be bugging you guys, especially yankeejim, before i make my final decision. Again, sorry for the trouble, just trying to be good :) Thank you.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:07 PM

Ghazan316:

Do you think i'd be able to nail every scenario from 52-87 yards if i buy the 58 degree TM satin (86 yards) or do you think i'd pretty much need the 60 degree 77 yard satin?

This will be the last time i'll be bugging you guys, especially yankeejim, before i make my final decision. Again, sorry for the trouble, just trying to be good :) Thank you

You're never bugging anyone having a conversation like this , Ghazan. It sounds to me like you might be trying to get too exact here. Try this. Part of course management is playing to your strengths or, in this case, your comfortable distances out. Instead of mashing away and dealing with the result play to exact places on the fairway. These places would be where you wedges are best from. Lay up to them.

Say you're 250 away for your 2nd shot on a par 5. Now you can try for that eagle and hope you hit a miraculous shot to get it OR you can lay up to 77 yards out and throw a dart at the pin for a birdie. Whacking away on your second shot without a plan is going to leave you guessing. Plan the hit and play to your club strengths.

The 60 degree wedge is an up and down type loft where the 54 degree is more of a driving trajectory. Your game close to the green is super important and the 77 yard wedge does a better job of dealing with around the green lies in rough and sand. IMO I think the 77 and 50 yard wedges are your best choices. 

• PAGES
RSS