Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:48 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:39 AM

Anyone notice what's wrong here?

Got it?

How can the ball be 1" below itself?

The slope indicator when located precisely at the ball itself should read 0".  It does most times.

I did treat this putt as if it were +1 uphill, and although it slid by on the high side, it did roll as if it indeed was uphill.  (i.e. it did not blow by the hole 3 ft.)

This could explain those inexplicable putts that come up short, or race by the hole 5 or 6 feet.

Bug log submitted @ ~ 5.30am PDT, please 'look into it' WGT.

Anyone else see this on other greens?  I'll be looking for it now.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 7:47 AM

Um, by the first pic you appear to have been impaled on the flagstick like one of those specimen bugs. You might want to have that checked out.

• marcbgd
    81 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:11 AM

I had similar situation I reported yesterday...downhill 1" but no colored stripes. After I reported it i started noticing wrong info on other holes also. I will start keeping notes of them and report them.  By the way,,,how do you take the snapshots and post them? I know how to save a replay but haven't figured out how to do this?

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:14 AM

One hole I.m going to look at real hard is #9. everyone says from front to back is a bad slope, which I can attest to, but coming from back to front it indicates a down slope also.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 8:16 AM

Well like some others I have noticed some inconsistent putts, like a 8 foot FLAT putt coming up short, etc.   June 1 - June 2 or3 there might have been a couple deviations here and there everywhere like even other courses but that is an effect of the update I believe and nothing else and I think gone already. 

Last night I was on Andy's and putting there was no different than usual. 

Oakmont though, I think does have a few slope errors on the greens.  JMO so far but I have only played 2 rounds there.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 9:02 AM

YankeeJim:

Um, by the first pic you appear to have been impaled on the flagstick like one of those specimen bugs. You might want to have that checked out.

Hmmm, that would explain the pain between my shoulder blades.  I should send a bug report maybe.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 12:53 PM

andyson:

Hmmm, that would explain the pain between my shoulder blades.  I should send a bug report maybe.

I definitely would do so, Andy.

However, since the error is so slim, it really shouldn't be important enough to completely throw off that putt.

If it was indicating a 6"+ error, I would definitely be worried.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 2:55 PM

TheLighterDark:
    However, since the error is so slim, it really shouldn't be important enough to completely throw off that putt.

Maybe enough to leave it short.

If its truly 1" uphill and I hit the putt as it shows, flat, then I'm not adding the extra 1ft of power I normally add for 1" uphill.  I'd hit this 8.8 ft putt 6 ft if level and 7 if +1 up.

Would 6 be enough if it is really 1" uphill?  I've had some WTF moments on short putts on the OAK greens.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 4:57 AM

duffer66:

One hole I.m going to look at real hard is #9. everyone says from front to back is a bad slope, which I can attest to, but coming from back to front it indicates a down slope also.

I have noticed that many holes on all the courses seem to have the pin located in the bottom of a bowl with the green sloping downhill from all sides. What you mentioned occurs more frequently than you may realize. 

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:16 AM

andyson:

Anyone notice what's wrong here?

How can the ball be 1" below itself?

The slope indicator when located precisely at the ball itself should read 0".  It does most times...

Hi andyson,

I'm not a very good putter, but IIRC, the difference in elevation is measured from your (the avatar's) feet - not from the ball at address. I wish I could remember where I read that...

If you noticed that the "grid balls" were moving away from your avatar's feet (hard to tell from a static pic), then it should be easy to understand how the indicator could read v1".

As you said, most times the indicator at the ball does read 0", but alotta times (especially on the wildly sloping greens @ Oakmont) all that's needed is the short distance from the avatar's stance to the ball to indicate a difference in elevation at the ball.

I've always compensated for this difference (whether by adding or subtracting power) when setting-up my putts, by taking note of the direction and speed of the "grid balls" between "my" stance and the ball at address. If they are moving quickly, the difference can be enough to cause an uphill putt to be short... or conversely cause a miss left or right of the cup - as the ball sails past it.

Hope this clears things up for you... and if I find the reference to which I've alluded, I'll edit this post with it.

Good Luck... we'll all need some of that on these greens...  :/

• PAGES
RSS