Help › Forums

New Master Looking for Club Advice

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 5 2010 10:52 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jhind1983
    8 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 4:20 PM

So I got hot the past couple of days and posted a few freakishly low scores (30-31) to offset my normal 34-35.  Long story short, I now find myself a 65.61 Master struggling to make par at Kiawah.

If a couple of the more established players could take a gander at my clubs and give me some suggestions for upgrades, I'd be ever appreciative.  At first glance it looks to really come down to a choice between the G10 and i15 iron sets, and the G10/i15/R9 drivers.  I'm just curious how much of a difference the added precision (or forgiveness, in the case of the driver) makes in the overall outcome.

I LOVE my Raptures with their slow meter and incredible forgiveness, but I don't think they're going to cut it for me as a master.  Worse, I worry that I may have shot myself in the foot with them by not taking the opportunity to get used to a faster meter as a pro.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 4:55 PM

jhind1983:
    Worse, I worry that I may have shot myself in the foot with them by not taking the opportunity to get used to a faster meter as a pro.

Yes you did but there's hope! Balls will slow the meter down but once you get the meter speeds all the same, like those nice satins you have, you will be loving life.

Take a look at this thread because it's a success story from a player in your exact position. R9 driver and G10 irons will set you up nice!. GL

http://wgt.com/forums/t/13766.aspx

• jhind1983
    8 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 5:50 PM

YankeeJim:
    Take a look at this thread because it's a success story from a player in your exact position. R9 driver and G10 irons will set you up nice!. GL

Thanks for the input.  I've seen a lot of threads advising people to match meter speeds on all their clubs.  With that in mind, considering I'm probably going to get the R9 driver, would I be better off with the i15 irons over the G10s?  Or are the i15s enough of an upgrade to justify the extra cost?

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:12 PM

jhind1983:

...would I be better off with the i15 irons over the G10s?  Or are the i15s enough of an upgrade to justify the extra cost?

Well, the i15s are super precise and what I've been playing with for awhile. More so that not, I find the high trajectory to help me stop the ball on holes like #9 at Kiawah and many other uphill battles.

But the faster meter will definitely take getting used to... I definitely recommend using any of the GI series golf balls to slow down the meter.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 12:34 AM

Why going away from Raptures at all? My clubset is a R9 SuperTri Driver, The Rapture V2 2010 Pro 3W, the Rapture V2 2030 Pro Iron Set and 3 Wedges. I shot 58 at Bethpage, 57 at St.Andrews, 56 at Kiawah and 62 from Championsship tees at Oakmont. Really there's no need to go to the G10s where it's more difficult to hit the line. The Raptures have good Precision, Great Forgiviness and pretty good spin if you play them with Tour SD Balls and Backspin. You'll hit the line more often than with the G10s and for me this game is much more fun with the Raptures. Still the Choice is up to you.

regards

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:06 AM

imcoola:
    Why going away from Raptures at all? My clubset is a R9 SuperTri Driver, The Rapture V2 2010 Pro 3W, the Rapture V2 2030 Pro Iron Set and 3 Wedges.

Your Pings are different than what he had, imcoola. I'm assuming the 2030 above was a typo and that you have the 2010 set. This has a whopping 1 1/2 more dots in  precision than the set the OP had.

@jhind-I see you went for the G10s. Good move because you'll enjoy more success with those than you might have with the i15s. Yes, the i15s are more precise, 1/2 dot, but the meter speed is killer going from what you had to what they are. It probably would have frustrated you to no end. You made a quantum leap as it is so give the new set a chance and learn them. I like using the G1-SD balls with them because they  tame the speed a bit and seem to facilitate dinging consistency. Best of luck with your new game!  :-)

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:12 AM

YankeeJim:

imcoola:
    Why going away from Raptures at all? My clubset is a R9 SuperTri Driver, The Rapture V2 2010 Pro 3W, the Rapture V2 2030 Pro Iron Set and 3 Wedges.

Your Pings are different than what he had, imcoola. I'm assuming the 2030 above was a typo and that you have the 2010 set. This has a whopping 1 1/2 more dots in  precision than the set the OP had.

there's not much difference between the Raptures and the 2010 raptures only 1/2 dot mor on precision. Anyway, I played the normal Pro Raptures as well, an  shot 26 on the Front 9 at kia, 58 at BPB 58 at Kia 18 and 26 at  st.andrews Front 9 with them. I went to the 2010 nodel because of the half dot more precision but this was only a few weeks ago.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:23 AM

imcoola:
    there's not much difference between the Raptures and the 2010 raptures only 1/2 dot mor on precision

Take another look......

From 1 dot to 2 1/2 in precision-pretty big jump, not to mention the G10s have a High trajectory as opposed to the flatter Med/High of the Raptures, which is even better!

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:36 AM

Did he have the Hack set? Not the Normal Pro Set? Before the 2010 Version came out there was already a Version of the Raptures with 110-200 and 2 dots at Precision. I thought he had those. Those are not longer to buy as WGT took them off because of the "new" 2010 set. If he had the Hack Set I want to apology as the Hack set is good but not even close to the Pro Set.

Regards

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:50 AM

Yes, you're right, imcoola. I had trouble figuring out which set he had and assumed he had the one dot set based on his OP. Bigger than the precision difference is the loft. The irons he has now have a High trajectory and this is really really important at Oakmont and several holes at BPB where you have big elevation changes. Med/High irons need brakes to stop them because you have to use longer clubs to get up certain elevations while the High irons drop down on greens and land softer. 

You score really well with your setup. I wonder how that would change with the High loft clubs..............  :-)  

• PAGES
RSS