Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S. Open Qualifier Winner Announced, and more...

Fri, Nov 26 2021 12:50 PM (192 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 3:31 PM

AB, nice comeback...that's what it's all about.

Round 2 had me for lunch...didn't have trouble with the heavy winds, really...17-19 mph isn't bad compared to heavy winds on the links courses.  What got me was the Fast 9 greens, just couldn't make anything and had a couple of 3-putts to limp in with 64.

My goal of finishing in the top 100 is in serious jeopardy, but still fun playing no matter what happens.

GL to all and most of all, have fun!

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 10:31 PM

Just cant seem to overcome my VUSO jinx.....for me its like they change the math. What i think should be bang on seems to continuously be quite far off. 11 holes of a practice rd in tough conditions and was -10....thought best to quit and get at it. Thats when the fun began....ugh!!!

Good luck to the rest of you....cheers

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 10:47 PM

Two strokes better than my round, cappy (which I know isn't saying much) so I'd happily swap with ya.

;-)

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 8:21 PM

missed a silly putt on 15. Boomed the drive, leaving only a 9 iron (got lucky in that it was downwind).

Pushed it, still only had 8 feet. Massive lip out. Ouch

Did fall out of a tie for the lead, mainly due to a couple of key missed putts. 55 - 57 has left me at least 2 back heading into the 3rd round. I think I may need some major help from fmags if I am going to have a chance to win this

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 8:31 PM

PRIESTESS:

mkg335:

Heavy winds and champ 14.5 at Oak would be like playing on an ice rink in a perpetual motion machine.

Be like playing in a real Open no?? Didn't see many scores under 60 in the real one did you:)?

I'd like to see the crazy fast green speeds. Only hole you couldn't use would be the back left at 2.

Would make the scores far more realistic as we couldn't just fire at the pins not caring about the result. Would have to play strategically

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jul 6 2016 10:25 PM

Derek, 55-57 for the first two rounds is excellent, definitely in the running...great shooting, bud.

I'm expecting slow greens (yuck) for one of the next two rounds, but who knows?  I'm sure all the surprises will be loads of fun...

;-)

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 10:30 AM

derekortt:

PRIESTESS:

mkg335:

Heavy winds and champ 14.5 at Oak would be like playing on an ice rink in a perpetual motion machine.

Be like playing in a real Open no?? Didn't see many scores under 60 in the real one did you:)?

I'd like to see the crazy fast green speeds. Only hole you couldn't use would be the back left at 2.

Would make the scores far more realistic as we couldn't just fire at the pins not caring about the result. Would have to play strategically

well, thats where the pin was :-)

Played it from 64 yards with 80Y wedge with a little topspin. Landed 0,5 feet from hole short left, thought it would go in, then a gently roll down to 12 feet and a solid par

• PRIESTESS
    10,697 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 12:39 PM

duffputt:
    Played it from 64 yards with 80Y wedge with a little topspin. Landed 0,5 feet from hole short left, thought it would go in, then a gently roll down to 12 feet and a solid par

Now you know how the Pro's feel when they play in an Open:) Didn't Ernie Els 6 putt 1 green??   I would like to see even faster greens around 16 on the stimp. Maybe we can close the gap then between real and virtual and be happy with a 63:)

On that 2nd i had 53 and played something with top spin off me 60 distance Clev and it finished on top of the pin 7 feet. I slammed that in hitting 4  LOL  . Would have bogied for sure if i missed.

• PRIESTESS
    10,697 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 12:42 PM

mkg335:

Derek, 55-57 for the first two rounds is excellent, definitely in the running...great shooting, bud.

I'm expecting slow greens (yuck) for one of the next two rounds, but who knows?  I'm sure all the surprises will be loads of fun...

;-)

Mud greens in round 4 could be  the guess?

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Jul 10 2016 3:35 PM

PRIESTESS:

Mud greens in round 4 could be  the guess?

Wouldn't surprise me.

Just playing out the string here...any semblance of skill deserted me in round 3, limped in with a blazing 69.

Good luck to all in the final round.

RSS