Forums

Help › Forums

quitting a game should come with a price!!!!

Thu, Jul 1 2010 12:57 PM (25 replies)
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 11:20 AM

andyson:

AlaCowboy:
    There are many legitimate reasons for a person to have to quit. How would you structure this new program so as not to taint the reputation of a player that had to quit for a good reason?

You require any person leaving a multi-player game to complete that round before playing again OR accept a drop in reputation. Those that need to quit for a legitimate reason can complete their round solo without affecting their reputation.  This also effectively eliminates quitting a multi-player game to protect one's average.

This has been proposed all over the forums in December and summarized nicely here.

When I do have to quit I indeed save and complete solo. But Some want players "punished" for leaving multi-player games whatever the reason. Simply award each player 1 or 2 "mulligans" a week for quitting purposes, then penalize any further disconnect 1 stroke.

But the simplest thing is to create each player a virtual notepad so they can list players they don't want to play with so they can opt out before a game starts. I sometimes create a game, and have kicked out a player or 2 I remember as a poor sport or disconnect.

• xSTILLFLY
    66 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 6:22 AM

Don't play if you don't have the time. Easy. Emergencies won't happen every single round. so your rep will be as fair as you play anyways

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 2:42 PM

AlaCowboy:

And some quit due to an electrical storm. Some quit due to an emergency call if they are part of a volunteer fire department. Some quit if they get tired of other players slow loading. Some quit because their computer is slow loading that day and they don't wish to delay others. Some quit because opponents tease or taunt them to try to distract them. Some quit because everyone else quits and they don't care to finish a round alone.

There are many legitimate reasons for a person to have to quit. How would you structure this new program so as not to taint the reputation of a player that had to quit for a good reason?

I bet only 5-10%  quit for any of those reasons.  You never have someone say " sry guys  got this problem or that issue"    they just leave !   there is no common curtesy anymore.  If you have to leave  for whatever reason  be  a decent person and say something,  that is the LEAST you can do.

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 5:48 PM

Other than invites from friends I haven't played many multi player rounds ( maybe 6 or so), but every game I ended up on my own until yesterday. I have added that guy to my friends list. I welcome and look forward to the rep counter.

I bath regularly so I don't think its me.

• numillionare
    8 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 6:09 PM

I come into this site to relax and enjoy the game with people who enjoy the game as well. I enjoy the challenge of playing on the tough courses and making par or better. Lately, It's just playing more than 1 hole on any course that is the real challenge. I tried 5 imes to play a round and everyone either DIS or just kicked me out of the game before it even started. It is ruining this great site.I WILL DIS because if everyone leaves, it has ruined the reason for me coming to this site to play. Besides getting frustrated because of these inconciderate people who DIS just because they can do it without penalty.

What you could do is this. Every 5 DIS you make you get a star. First 5 gets a yellow one. The next 5 DISCONNECTS gets a bright blue one. The next 5 gets a bright Red one and 20 DIS gets you banned from the site for a week. Stars will show when you join a game in the multi-teir and we can cancel out and not play with these DIS without penalty. Once the game starts you are commited to stay or get a star.

Every 10 games you stay or play single, you lose a star. Anyone close to losing their site for a week will be willing to stay no matter who they are playing with and play the whole game.

• Didymus
    16 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 7:34 PM

These losers quit as soon as they hit one bad shot. They should be flagged

• Didymus
    16 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 8:02 PM

Two games. everyone quits by 4th hole. This last loser, 4SureShank, closes the web browser instead of ending the game, freezing the game so I can't finish. These losers should be flagged

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 8:59 PM

So what, get over it and enjoy the game. Pretend your a fish drowning in oil and all of a sudden life's got a hole new perspective. People quit because they can its the internet there is no way you can stop it as you have to play some body sometime so 1000000 players will have a chance to quit on you at least once so please realize there is no end to it.

Join the Ladders site where quiting is not tolerated or just find a group of friends and play with them and give this subject the wide birth it deserves.

CSC

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 10:11 PM

Didymus:
    This last loser, 4SureShank, closes the web browser instead of ending the game,
    Totally understand your frustration , but I would kindly advise not to specifically name / call out other members in forums...very frowned upon. Not an authority statement as I have none , just  friendly advise. 

"Ace"

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Mon, Jun 28 2010 11:44 PM

Its a shame that this poor dead horse keeps getting flogged. It is such a tiresome thread. 

• You won't stop people quitting...
    • Reputation tracking had a brief life before... and didn't change anything.

I see most people quitting becuase of missed putts... pro players who can't handle very fast greens...

As a possible solution set the green speed to the lowest level player in the group...

It the gourp contains pros and masters set the speed to fast...what the pros are use to... not very fast.  This  fix would be a simple parameter change rather than trying to develop reputation tracking.

RIP the dead horse

RSS